What makes a good SERE knife?

Here is a mini SERE from Al Mar they are limited quantity.
ALMarminiSERE001.jpg

I have always liked the looks of the Al Mar SERE knife in a fix blade. It kind of has a slanted guard not as pronounced as I made mine.
According to the info that I have read, Al Mar was a former Green Beret besides being a knife maker. He and Nick Rowe and Dan Pitzer must have worked together on there seperate knive designs. That blade shape is pretty close to the Maynard blade shape or vise vrsa lol. I am not sure who came out with there knife design first but Dan and Nick must have copied each others blade shape design. heck they were POWs for several years together. I wonder if they ever drew any knife designs on paper or in the dirt while being a POW. Thinking if they had this or that and how they could escape the V.C.

Anyone have that fixed blade Al Mar SERE knife and could measure the hight of the blade?

Bryan

Survival-Evasion-Resistance-Escape

I'm going to say the knife should be able to:

Do the normal tasks needed for small camp/bivouac such as cutting rope, making fuzz sticks, cutting meat, etc.

Be used as a prying tool

Be used as a tool to make other tools such as figure 4's, bow drills, spears, etc.

Be able to dress game

Be able to take a human life hand to hand if neccessary

Have a quiet sheath system (no velcro)

Have a dull finish. Including sheath hardware. No bright color or shiny handles/rivets. Parkerized or bead blasted blade.

Be able to do all this with a limited amount of maintenance for a specified period of time (say one month) without breakage

Almost forgot, should be FIXED blade.

So the USAF pilots knife does fit this well

Things that are NOT needed:

Batoning (If you are trying to escape, I don't think you need to broadcast your position by beating on a knife with a log)

Stainless steel (Rust is not a big deal short term)

Fancy grinds/high maintenance grinds

Blade length over 5"-6" (Longer is not necessarily better and can be a hindrance)

Carl-

You put all the points in a very good!

I believe this way

Just for fun I drew up a smaller hight wise and with a bit more belly maynard blade shap design with a what I feel is a better handle design.
IMG_0864-1.jpg

The Maynard SERE knife was made from 1.5" tall metal and the one I drew specs out at 1.25" tall.

anyways, chat with you all later,

Bryan

Army or Air Force SERE school, big difference, at least it used to be. Any full tang/ good steel hunting knife is good to have. The skills you learn are the difference and only a part the school. Heck a Buck 110 is good IMHO.Want to read a good book, read "5 years to Freedom" , because of what Col Rowe went through and how he handled himself is why they started the training. The guy was a real American hero. I really don't know where "the name" SERE knife came from, probably to sell knives and make them cooler.
Clay

Bryan, I am liking both blades. The green micarta is very cool. My favorite is the top one. I still like that one best. I also like the smaller version too. Good stuff.

JollyRoger3, thanks you might be a good contender for testing it out then.

The more I look at the smaller version I am liking it more and more. pair that up with a axe and or saw and what a great wood roaming combo it would make.

Calling Grunt Soldier, You mentioned a 7" version well here you go. It is only a drawing but in the next month or so it will be in steel. I did add just a bit more belly than what the Maynard blade has.
IMG_0867.jpg

claymore, Since you mentioned the book by Col. Rowe I really need to get it and read it.

chat with you all later,

Bryan

I am liking the smaller one. I think in SEAR size matters if it too big it might be left behind.

Just for fun I drew up a smaller hight wise and with a bit more belly maynard blade shap design with a what I feel is a better handle design.
IMG_0864-1.jpg

The Maynard SERE knife was made from 1.5" tall metal and the one I drew specs out at 1.25" tall.

anyways, chat with you all later,

Bryan

Really like the looks and the size of that one Bryan. Hope you build it and show us how it comes out.

Stop distracting Bryan with this SERE knife stuff and let him concentrate on other more important knives......Cough....Taiga !:devilish:

LOL, distractions!!!! You mean like this stuff?

Grunt soldier, asked about what one of the Maynard Blade shapes with the
slanted guard and handle with a birds beak pommel might look like.
Well here is what one looks like in a steel blank and then I did up a
smaller version of the knife I drew up in a steel blank also.

IMG_0873-1.jpg

I love the 7" blade length. I got a little more shaping to do on it before finishing it up.

Pitdog, I will be putting your handles on Tuesday unless I have time on Monday.

A passaround huh? That is a thought.

Distractions can be so much fun lol lol.

Bryan

LOL, distractions!!!! You mean like this stuff?

Grunt soldier, asked about what one of the Maynard Blade shapes with the
slanted guard and handle with a birds beak pommel might look like.
Well here is what one looks like in a steel blank and then I did up a
smaller version of the knife I drew up in a steel blank also.

IMG_0873-1.jpg

I love the 7" blade length. I got a little more shaping to do on it before finishing it up.

Pitdog, I will be putting your handles on Tuesday unless I have time on Monday.

A passaround huh? That is a thought.

Distractions can be so much fun lol lol.

Bryan

damn it I was gone for a minute and almost missed this. that looks great Bryan! I'll take it :) just let me know when she is ready to be beat on lol.

I love the design and shape. looks like it would make a great sere knife capable of handling pretty much any task thrown at it

Thanks Grunt Soldier,
I will be putting handles on that one this week. When I get it done I will post a pic of it.

Bryan

Back