What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I have never seen these examples before. I absolutely love how harmoniously incorporated the blade is when closed. What a beautiful execution of the Barlow!
A good thread to read is “gec 25s- gots em?”
I’ve had the knife for a few years and just now started carrying the little fella.
Hope you and your family have a good Thanksgiving. Ode

Since nobody has posted a Bower : I expect you really want some pictures of the Standard Sized Bower Barlow , but all I have is a Daddy Barlow . It is a very well made knife . If the Standard is as good , you should be very happy .

Harry
A big ‘un! Thanks for the pics. Those old bone covers look exactly like the ones in the sellers pic of the one I bought, which were listed as wood. Are those bolsters iron?

image.jpg
View attachment 1459612

willard0341 willard0341 , how are things on the river?!

Thanks bigfish64 bigfish64 !
I apologize about the late response...
Things are slow with the industry, boats are being tied up and barges are sitting empty in fleets.
It will loosen back up with time!
Love the Cajun cooking! I won’t hardly eat seafood here in the cornfields because I have had the real deal down south.
You and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy the kids. Ode

I was on an anhydrous ammonia run from Pascagoula ms to Pensacola for 18 months and we would get our seafood from a market in escambia. I’ve never ate better shrimp

R4IEY9G.jpg

As many of you know, I have followed My Good Friend Charlie waynorth waynorth and his SFO's for a few years now.
It all started in 2005 with HJ #1, Charlie had teamed up with Clarence Risner and they went to Queen Cutlery for this SFO, where Charlie met Bill Howard, Queen's Master Cutler. For us in the Tradition pocketknife world it was a fateful meeting! :thumbsup: Bill and Charlie both hold a love and a passion for the older patterns.
Many years and SFO's later Charlie has led the way to bringing back to our conscience many older patterns that were not being produced any longer. His now Famous TC Barlows that were produced starting in 2012 were just one of his many success stories.
By this time I had learned to pay attention to what My Friend was doing so when this thread was started by Charlie I called him and told him that whatever he was up to I wanted one of everything he had produced. It has been an interesting road to say the least! :rolleyes:
For years I have told My Friend that IF he ever decided to sell the 2 "unobtainium" TC's that Bill had made special for him, I was interested!
I don't believe that I beg, whined or put much pressure on Charlie because I knew these Barlows held special significance to him and quite frankly I never expected Charlie to part with them. But a few months ago My Friend told me that if I wanted them that he would part with them! Of course Charlie knew that these were the only 2 TC's on GEC's production list that I did not have in my collection.
So without further ado here are the last 2 TC's that complete this collection! :cool:

1 of 1, Interior Elephant Ivory TC made in 2013 in appreciation for the TC's success by Bill for Charlie.
IMG_2798.jpg
IMG_2800.jpg
IMG_2799.jpg

1 of 2, Sheepsfoot Palo Santo Wood, made in 2013 to show Charlie what the wood will finish like. Bill kept the mate to this knife.
IMG_2804.jpg
IMG_2805.jpg
IMG_2806.jpg

Thank You My Friend!! :)

Dave

Last edited:
My pleasure, Dave! They couldn't be in a more careful hands!! You indeed have the most complete collection of TCs on the planet!:eek:
Thanks for the compliments, expressed and implied!!;)
(Nice pictures, and accoutrements!!:D)

As many of you know, I have followed My Good Friend Charlie waynorth waynorth and his SFO's for a few years now.
It all started in 2005 with HJ #1, Charlie had teamed up with Clarence Risner and they went to Queen Cutlery for this SFO, where Charlie met Bill Howard, Queen's Master Cutler. For us in the Tradition pocketknife world it was a fateful meeting! :thumbsup: Bill and Charlie both hold a love and a passion for the older patterns.
Many years and SFO's later Charlie has led the way to bringing back to our conscience many older patterns that were not being produced any longer. His now Famous TC Barlows that were produced starting in 2012 were just one of his many success stories.
By this time I had learned to pay attention to what My Friend was doing so when this thread was started by Charlie I called him and told him that whatever he was up to I wanted one of everything he had produced. It has been an interesting road to say the least! :rolleyes:
For years I have told My Friend that IF he ever decided to sell the 2 "unobtainium" TC's that Bill had made special for him, I was interested!
I don't believe that I beg, whined or put much pressure on Charlie because I knew these Barlows held special significance to him and quite frankly I never expected Charlie to part with them. But a few months ago My Friend told me that if I wanted them that he would part with them! Of course Charlie knew that these were the only 2 TC's on GEC's production list the I did not have in my collection.
So without further ado here are the last 2 TC's that complete this collection! :cool:

1 of 1, Interior Elephant Ivory TC made in 2013 in appreciation for the TC's success by Bill for Charlie.
View attachment 1464114
View attachment 1464118
View attachment 1464120

1 of 2, Sheepsfoot Palo Santo Wood, made in 2013 to show Charlie what the wood will finish like. Bill kept the mate to this knife.
View attachment 1464123
View attachment 1464124
View attachment 1464125

Dave
I am very happy for you to get them Dave . Carry them in good health my friend .

Harry

I don't believe that I beg, whined or put much pressure on Charlie because I knew these Barlows held special significance to him and quite frankly I never expected Charlie to part with them. But a few months ago My Friend told me that if I wanted them that he would part with them! Of course Charlie knew that these were the only 2 TC's on GEC's production list the I did not have in my collection.

View attachment 1464114
View attachment 1464118
View attachment 1464120

View attachment 1464123
View attachment 1464124
View attachment 1464125

Dave
I’m proud for you Dave! You really deserve those two in your collection! :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1464114
View attachment 1464118
View attachment 1464120

View attachment 1464123
View attachment 1464124
View attachment 1464125

Dave
Nothing much to say but, wow!
Great story on those two beauties, thanks for sharing. Stories like these are one of my favorite parts of this hobby, and the porch community.
I wonder what Bill Howard’s personal collection looks like?

Back