What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Nothing much to say but, wow!
Great story on those two beauties, thanks for sharing. Stories like these are one of my favorite parts of this hobby, and the porch community.
I wonder what Bill Howard’s personal collection looks like?
Most of Bill's collection is up on the various walls of Great Eastern Cutlery for all to see!! He has surprisingly few antique knives (but a few nontheless!!):D

Nothing much to say but, wow!
Great story on those two beauties, thanks for sharing. Stories like these are one of my favorite parts of this hobby, and the porch community.
I wonder what Bill Howard’s personal collection looks like?
I do not have any pictures to show you but if you can imagine a wall 20 to 30 feet long with every first off GEC knife behind glass , that is really what it looks like . It is quite a sight to see . Maybe Half/Stop Half/Stop has some photos of it .

Harry

Last edited:
Most of Bill's collection is up on the various walls of Great Eastern Cutlery for all to see!! He has surprisingly few antique knives (but a few nontheless!!):D

I do not have any pictures to show you but if you can imagine a wall 20 to 30 feet long with every first off GEC knife behind glass , that is really what it looks like . It is quite a sight to see . Maybe Half/Stop Half/Stop has some photos it .

Harry

I need to make my way up to Pennsylvania when things are back to normal, sounds like a sight to behold. Might have to drop the family off somewhere for a few hours lest I bore them to death :rolleyes:

I do not have any pictures to show you but if you can imagine a wall 20 to 30 feet long with every first off GEC knife behind glass , that is really what it looks like . It is quite a sight to see . Maybe Half/Stop Half/Stop has some photos it .

Harry
Harry I may have some photos but I’m not sure. I will look on my laptop to see. I think we had trouble with glare on the glass from the lights.

As many of you know, I have followed My Good Friend Charlie waynorth waynorth and his SFO's for a few years now.
It all started in 2005 with HJ #1, Charlie had teamed up with Clarence Risner and they went to Queen Cutlery for this SFO, where Charlie met Bill Howard, Queen's Master Cutler. For us in the Tradition pocketknife world it was a fateful meeting! :thumbsup: Bill and Charlie both hold a love and a passion for the older patterns.
Many years and SFO's later Charlie has led the way to bringing back to our conscience many older patterns that were not being produced any longer. His now Famous TC Barlows that were produced starting in 2012 were just one of his many success stories.
By this time I had learned to pay attention to what My Friend was doing so when this thread was started by Charlie I called him and told him that whatever he was up to I wanted one of everything he had produced. It has been an interesting road to say the least! :rolleyes:
For years I have told My Friend that IF he ever decided to sell the 2 "unobtainium" TC's that Bill had made special for him, I was interested!
I don't believe that I beg, whined or put much pressure on Charlie because I knew these Barlows held special significance to him and quite frankly I never expected Charlie to part with them. But a few months ago My Friend told me that if I wanted them that he would part with them! Of course Charlie knew that these were the only 2 TC's on GEC's production list that I did not have in my collection.
So without further ado here are the last 2 TC's that complete this collection! :cool:

1 of 1, Interior Elephant Ivory TC made in 2013 in appreciation for the TC's success by Bill for Charlie.
View attachment 1464114
View attachment 1464118
View attachment 1464120

1 of 2, Sheepsfoot Palo Santo Wood, made in 2013 to show Charlie what the wood will finish like. Bill kept the mate to this knife.
View attachment 1464123
View attachment 1464124
View attachment 1464125

Thank You My Friend!! :)

Dave

What a gem! These are like behind the smithsonian glimpses! Now Dave, what about an all together shot, every single example!

As many of you know, I have followed My Good Friend Charlie waynorth waynorth and his SFO's for a few years now.
It all started in 2005 with HJ #1, Charlie had teamed up with Clarence Risner and they went to Queen Cutlery for this SFO, where Charlie met Bill Howard, Queen's Master Cutler. For us in the Tradition pocketknife world it was a fateful meeting! :thumbsup: Bill and Charlie both hold a love and a passion for the older patterns.
Many years and SFO's later Charlie has led the way to bringing back to our conscience many older patterns that were not being produced any longer. His now Famous TC Barlows that were produced starting in 2012 were just one of his many success stories.
By this time I had learned to pay attention to what My Friend was doing so when this thread was started by Charlie I called him and told him that whatever he was up to I wanted one of everything he had produced. It has been an interesting road to say the least! :rolleyes:
For years I have told My Friend that IF he ever decided to sell the 2 "unobtainium" TC's that Bill had made special for him, I was interested!
I don't believe that I beg, whined or put much pressure on Charlie because I knew these Barlows held special significance to him and quite frankly I never expected Charlie to part with them. But a few months ago My Friend told me that if I wanted them that he would part with them! Of course Charlie knew that these were the only 2 TC's on GEC's production list that I did not have in my collection.
So without further ado here are the last 2 TC's that complete this collection! :cool:

1 of 1, Interior Elephant Ivory TC made in 2013 in appreciation for the TC's success by Bill for Charlie.
View attachment 1464114
View attachment 1464118
View attachment 1464120

1 of 2, Sheepsfoot Palo Santo Wood, made in 2013 to show Charlie what the wood will finish like. Bill kept the mate to this knife.
View attachment 1464123
View attachment 1464124
View attachment 1464125

Thank You My Friend!! :)

Dave
OUTSTANDING Dave, an amazing collection I dream of viewing and OH SO CLOSE in 2020 except for this pandemic effecting the world the way it has. If we (Duncan and I) can somehow make our plans workout in a year or two from now my dream of seeing your TC collection as well as your entire knife collection may just happen. Thanks for posting those as well as all the others in this great thread:thumbsup:

What a gem! These are like behind the smithsonian glimpses! Now Dave, what about an all together shot, every single example!

They all have been posted together Jack! I think it was for a Charlie's Birthday thread a year ago..... but just for YOU!! :p:D
IMG_2721.jpg
The above photo, 1st release, bottom left, the empty space in the bottom row is where the Ivory belongs and the Sheepsfoot Palo Santo goes in the second row space.
IMG_2692.jpg
The rest of the #15's and the #14's

Dave

They all have been posted together Jack! I think it was for a Charlie's Birthday thread a year ago..... but just for YOU!! :p:D
View attachment 1464828
The above photo, 1st release, bottom left, the empty space in the bottom row is where the Ivory belongs and the Sheepsfoot Palo Santo goes in the second row space.
View attachment 1464830

Dave

Neat! Thanks Dave! I have always been curious how much space that took up! Luckily you dont put them back in the tube all the time :D:D:D

View attachment 1464828
View attachment 1464830

Dave
Thanks for showing them again Dave! Impressive my friend! :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1464828
View attachment 1464830

Dave
You win :D
Wonderful collection, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

View attachment 1464828
View attachment 1464830

Dave
Fantastic Dave!!! I don't see that self scratted ancient? in your pocket maybe;)

Schrade Cut Co

50668408497_0ef0f1c4f4_o_d.jpg

Back