What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

The new Remington made me wonder how many Different Length Barlows did I have . And seeing this photo made me think that I may have missed a couple . But anyway :::: And I consider every one of these Well Made .
vKiNAWQ.jpg

Harry

Last edited:
It doesn't get the attention my CJs do,but I love this one.

I have it in my pocket again today.

As a small pocket tool to cut everyday stuff it is perfect.

Its nice and smooth (no rough spots) the blade is firm and sharpens easy.

I dont consider myself very good at sharpening all I did was a 10 careful strokes on either side of a DC4.

The DC4 by the way I highly recommend thee latest version has a leather strop side on the pouch.

"The DC4 sharpener is a whetstone with a combination of diamond and ceramic that will handle all your sharpening needs. The DC4 whetstone consist of a fine diamond stone and a very special ceramic stone, made of synthetic sapphires. The advantage of these materials, although they get worn, will still keep their flat shape this is important when you sharpen your knife. And, since these materials are the hardest we know of, they will sharpen any steel, even these extremely hard powder steels. You don’t need any lubrication for these stone but now and then you should consider cleaning them with warm water and liquid soap. The stones might feel coarse from the start but will become smoother/better after some use. A leather pouch is included".

How to use your DC whetstone​

If your knife is dull, we advise you to start with the diamond stone. After restoring the edge to original shape, de-burr the edge lightly with the ceramic stone in order to get a razor-sharp edge. Use no oil or water. Start by laying the blade flat on the stone, raise the blade spine approx. the thickness of the blade, and start moving the knife in circular motions.

I wanted to post these here so other "Barlow people" will see them. These are bear and son's 4" Barlow I believe they're calling it. I bought 2 after I saw the quality of the yellow delrin one. I've always been more of a Jigged bone fan so I ordered 2 of these. They are both fantastic, the pivot appears to be running on brass washers, they have half stops and have carbon steel blades. Beautiful knives, now if only they'd start pinning the shields or just get rid of the shields. Very happy, hoping this is a sign of good things to come from B&S
IMG_20240429_171250804.jpgIMG_20240429_171344838.jpgIMG_20240429_171150745.jpgIMG_20240429_171128577.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to post these here so other "Barlow people" will see them. These are bear and son's 4" Barlow I believe they're calling it. I bought 2 after I saw the quality of the yellow delrin one. I've always been more of a Jigged bone fan so I ordered 2 of these. They are both fantastic, the pivot appears to be running on brass washers, they have half stops and have carbon steel blades. Beautiful knives, now if only they'd start pinning the shields or just get rid of the shields. Very happy, hoping this is a sign of good things to come from B&S
View attachment 2561739View attachment 2561740View attachment 2561741View attachment 2561743
Funny timing, I just got one of these with the stag covers this past weekend. It's my first Bear and Sons and is fantastic, as you say. A bit larger than what I usually carry, but a great work knife for pottering around the garden. Your jigged bone examples look delicious!

Back