What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Egt2aUd.jpg

Just got this one out of the mailbox.
Someone used a bench grinder on the blades.
But it looks good hanging out in my knife cabinet.
At least yours has got blades, I got one that the main is missing altogether :eek: the pin is broken and there's not even a tang stub. I'll try to get some pics later;)
Meanwhile heres two I'm toting around today
Nm3UsCH.jpg

:cool::thumbsup:

Just got this one out of the mailbox.
Someone used a bench grinder on the blades.
But it looks good hanging out in my knife cabinet.

I've been a Barlow fan since I was a boy & I'm always on the lookout for them at flea markets & yard sales. Old traditional knife prices at flea markets around here usually run around $1-5. I've found a few nice ones, but it's rare that you can find one that's even worth $1.
IMG_0392-X4.jpg

My TC came in the other day, but I’m gonna wait a few days for pictures.

I just ordered a lightbox, Gorillapod tripod, and attached some various nylon wraps onto 16” x 16” x 3/4” MDF. If all goes well, hopefully I’ll be able to take some decent pics for the thread. :)

We gained a fenced yard when we moved, but lost all the natural beauty of living next to a wildlife preserve. :/

At least yours has got blades, I got one that the main is missing altogether :eek: the pin is broken and there's not even a tang stub. I'll try to get some pics later;)
Meanwhile heres two I'm toting around today
Nm3UsCH.jpg

:cool::thumbsup:

I've been eyeballing a couple of Daddy Barlows - I might just pull the trigger on one or two. It helps that the demand is not as high. If I enjoy using the large Coke Bottle pattern, I suspect the Daddy Barlow will be a good fit.

I've been eyeballing a couple of Daddy Barlows - I might just pull the trigger on one or two. It helps that the demand is not as high. If I enjoy using the large Coke Bottle pattern, I suspect the Daddy Barlow will be a good fit.
If you liked the 97's , you should like the Grand Daddy's . If you can find a Grand Daddy Russell Commemorative made by Colonial , you will find it difficult to believe how heavy it is . It probably is 1/2 again as heavy as the Case .

FisOtfg.jpg

Harry

Last edited:
If you liked the 97's , you should like the Grand Daddy's . If you can find a Grand Daddy Russell Commemorative made by Colonial , you will find it difficult to believe how heavy it is . I probably is 1/2 again as heavy as the Case .

FisOtfg.jpg

Harry

Thank you for the pics, info, and comparison shot, Harry. The Russel is interesting - is that EO notch factory? I love the bone on both of those examples.

Back