What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

New addition to the fold has arrived
WbWbGtq.jpg

O7cELCH.jpg

Great Photo, colour is just stellar. Id love to see your lightbox setup. KNives are ok as well. :D

Finally got one of the new TCs in hand!!:eek: It's nice to see it all come to fruition!!:cool:
GEC started out assembly with Hammered pins, but quickly switched to Spun pins, due to the ease with which the sawcut surface was dinted!! That red H on the top label could have easily been an S, I guess!:rolleyes:
But I think that the cutlers did a great job!!
A firm action, but not onerous, just like the earliest Barlows - perfect!!
Not as much "wane" in the bone as I had hoped from using up the smaller pieces of handle material, but a satisfying Barlow feel overall!!
Color and F&F worked out great in my opinion!! A touch of Wabi-Sabi makes a good traditional Barlow!!:DFirst 2021 H out 1.jpg First 2021 H out 2.jpg First 2021 H out 3.jpg New back label.jpg New front label.jpg

Well, I completely missed the boat on the new TC Barlows. :( I was able to pick up this like new, unused, ten dot Case though.

https://i.imgur.com/WWI0ol0.jpg?1[/img]']
Awesome :eek: :thumbsup:
I wish they’d still use thin blade stock like on those older Barlows. The most recent run was nice and all, but the old ones felt so solid and snappy. You also can’t beat the old red bone

Well, I completely missed the boat on the new TC Barlows. :( I was able to pick up this like new, unused, ten dot Case though.

https://i.imgur.com/So4xuWq.jpg?1[/img]']https://i.imgur.com/WWI0ol0.jpg?1[/img]']

That is such a nice knife, well done!

I have had this old Case for awhile ('65-'69, if I'm reading the stamp correctly). I think it got cleaned by someone prior, to perhaps cover up the poor sharpening but it is in otherwise great shape. It practically sings and it sure can cut - nice thin blades.

I hope to find one or two of these with fuller blades in the future.

jekR18S.jpg

WYQKJ42.jpg

Last edited:
Real nice consolation prize:thumbsup:
Thanks! Pretty amazing that knives lay around over 50 years and still look good.

Very nice. Love those handles :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Mike! The sellers pictures did not show the pile side very well at all. Got lucky there.

Awesome :eek: :thumbsup:
I wish they’d still use thin blade stock like on those older Barlows. The most recent run was nice and all, but the old ones felt so solid and snappy. You also can’t beat the old red bone
I am truly a fan of the red ones. Thanks!

That is superb - what a nice score!

That is such a nice knife, well done!

I have had this old Case for awhile ('65-'69, if I'm reading the stamp correctly). I think it got cleaned by someone prior, to perhaps cover up the poor sharpening but it is in otherwise great shape. It practically sings and it sure can cut - nice thin blades.

I hope to find one or two of these with fuller blades in the future.

jekR18S.jpg

WYQKJ42.jpg
Thanks Dylan, I like the red color on yours a bunch!

Back