What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Probably my favorite Barlow, with terrific green bone and very stoutly built.

tt1QLpz.jpg

Those blades really disappear down into the blade well, don’t they?
Ha ha! If they had sunk joints, NOTHING would show!
Of course, another problem would crop up. . . .:D

Charlie : When you show even one of those Curved Russells , to me , every thing else just looks like a loaf of Month Old Bread . They are just sooooooo nice my friend .Harry
They are pretty graceful, Harry! Thanks!:cool:

Ha ha! If they had sunk joints, NOTHING would show!
Of course, another problem would crop up. . . .:D

I think you could make it work, you’d just need more curve in the handle (or a really big EO notch)! :D

Serious question: what would you call that blade shape? A skinner? It’s not really a drop point, ‘cause it never drops!

After some of the exchanges I saw yesterday in another thread I thought we could lighten it up a bit. We’ve all heard of “Dueling Banjos” how about some “Dueling Bokers!”
Here you go Fixall!;)
My Bog Oak:View attachment 1506596View attachment 1506598 View attachment 1506597
And my Anniversary in Curley Brown Burch, notice the serial number!:eek:
View attachment 1506600 View attachment 1506601 View attachment 1506602 View attachment 1506603
Your turn!:D

Whew... Sorry, my weekend got away from me a bit. All kinds of projects to get finished before the baby gets here. :)

Here's the Desert Ironwood and 440c I owe ya (I held off on buying the Green Curly Birch)! I wasn't collecting Boker barlows when this was released, so it took a bit of hunting to find and I had to pay a bit more than I wanted. Super great knife though! Boker does a good job picking their ironwood. :)

AaRHPRP.jpg

v1r1FXA.jpg

V0kvQm6.jpg

tuecj2c.jpg

ZPjyhxx.jpg

How about Grenadil and 440c? African Blackwood is my favorite wood (along with Desert Ironwood) so I'm a big fan of this guy.

Pn9UKKg.jpg

CxqoJVV.jpg

QqXcRZU.jpg

Whew... Sorry, my weekend got away from me a bit. All kinds of projects to get finished before the baby gets here. :)

Here's the Desert Ironwood and 440c I owe ya (I held off on buying the Green Curly Birch)! I wasn't collecting Boker barlows when this was released, so it took a bit of hunting to find and I had to pay a bit more than I wanted. Super great knife though! Boker does a good job picking their ironwood. :)

AaRHPRP.jpg

v1r1FXA.jpg

V0kvQm6.jpg

tuecj2c.jpg

ZPjyhxx.jpg

How about Grenadil and 440c? African Blackwood is my favorite wood (along with Desert Ironwood) so I'm a big fan of this guy.

Pn9UKKg.jpg

CxqoJVV.jpg

QqXcRZU.jpg
I remember those days, treasure them, I’ve got one that’s a jr in college and another that’s a senior in HS, goes fast. Boker’s ironwood is fantastic! Pretty sure the Grenadil was the second one I bought.
C6ECDABE-B5B7-4AD8-B6C5-7470A35120AD.jpeg 795443F9-F0F6-4B98-9624-6E50D7A16266.jpeg 8EF7AD84-714D-4318-993F-006B5ABA68F0.jpeg
(Not sure why these pics are so much smaller. I do all this on my phone and needless to say, but I know NOTHING about photography:D)

This one was a birthday gift last fall.
A88CB05B-F56E-44A1-AF6C-8B7EBB707FF5.jpeg BEC68DF0-BDFF-4D3A-8213-5A82A0D1759F.jpeg BA4A8F22-0D94-4701-9566-1C905B5637BE.jpeg
Have a good one!

Those are

Charlie, those are wonderful! What’s the length on those? Would you say they are a Spey and Drop point or...?
I think you could make it work, you’d just need more curve in the handle (or a really big EO notch)! :D

Serious question: what would you call that blade shape? A skinner? It’s not really a drop point, ‘cause it never drops!
Those curved Barlows are 3 3/8" long, closed of course!;)
Most would call the blades "skinners", although I wouldn't tackle a deer with one, unless I had to!!:D They certainly fit into the knives nicely!!:cool:

Well I couldn't leave it alone so I ran to Wal-Mart and got some supplies. It's far from perfect but I'm surprisingly pleased with the results. Turns out to make sawcut bone covers all you need is a saw. Here's a before and after shot. I dyed the bone with chocolate brown rit dye.
IMG_0844 by jacob dudley, on Flickr
IMG_0848 by jacob dudley, on Flickr
With this inspiration I modded my Rough Rider smooth bone:D:thumbsup:
k52iN84.jpg

bBpd4An.jpg

Though I may have gotten carried away with the file :rolleyes:

I'm loving all these pics with the match strike long pulls. I would love it if GEC did a new run of barlows with a sheepsfoot blade with a match strike long pull.

Last edited:
I was lucky to find this very full bladed Southern & Richardson Barlow, I have owned a couple in the past that were worked down to very short blades.
The almost unique Clip Blades on these are kinda cool, and I love the Light Bone on this one- not something I have seen before, usually the ones I see are Horn, Ebony.
Lots of Stampings Mark Side, just the one Southern Richardson Nest stamped on the Tang of the Spey Pile Side.

t0BnfLO.jpg

DWIO5S9.jpg

huNqFcQ.jpg

LwooXkH.jpg

Back