What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I remember those days, treasure them, I’ve got one that’s a jr in college and another that’s a senior in HS, goes fast. Boker’s ironwood is fantastic! Pretty sure the Grenadil was the second one I bought.
View attachment 1507420 View attachment 1507421 View attachment 1507422
(Not sure why these pics are so much smaller. I do all this on my phone and needless to say, but I know NOTHING about photography:D)

This one was a birthday gift last fall.
View attachment 1507423 View attachment 1507424 View attachment 1507425
Have a good one!

The pregnancy is already flying by (for me at least, lol). I just put in for a week and a half of vacation to try to catch up on all the projects. :) I'm pretty excited.

Haha, yea... I'm doing this on my iphone too. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, but it's fun. I definitely see how people go down the rabbit hole with photography.

Oh! I like the Smooth White Bone and C75! I found it to be hard to photograph though. It likes to show as yellow with my setup.

uk0vsZD.jpg

gdsY21t.jpg

zJD6ZeL.jpg

REeFiBd.jpg

Since you brought up birthday gifts... Here's one of mine. :D

Acid washed, O1 steel and oak covers reclaimed from Castle Burg in Solingen Germany (the wood is likely at least 1000 years old). Birthday gift from the wife. 1133 made. :)

qbVdAeJ.jpg

ezCA849.jpg

sE2f1dO.jpg

uIhki8g.jpg

I really wish Boker would release these Barlow knives with no shields and all steel construction. Those would be so wonderful, I'd buy a few. As they are, they're really good... but those changes would take them to the top.

Another really cool picture. :cool::thumbsup:

I'd really like to see an all steel construction too! That would be great. The brass and nickel-silver does give them a nice warmth though. I like the shields, but I do wish they were pinned.

Here's a shieldless Boker barlow for ya!

Brown Washboard Bone and what I believe is 440c, but I really haven't been able to find much (any) info on this knife.

8hXbjuK.jpg

vQXvC2C.jpg

H3JyU61.jpg

:thumbsup:
Oh! I like the Smooth White Bone and C75! I found it to be hard to photograph though. It likes to show as yellow with my setup.

uk0vsZD.jpg

gdsY21t.jpg

zJD6ZeL.jpg

REeFiBd.jpg

Since you brought up birthday gifts... Here's one of mine. :D

Acid washed, O1 steel and oak covers reclaimed from Castle Burg in Solingen Germany (the wood is likely at least 1000 years old). Birthday gift from the wife. 1133 made. :)

qbVdAeJ.jpg

ezCA849.jpg

sE2f1dO.jpg

uIhki8g.jpg

I'd really like to see an all steel construction too! That would be great. The brass and nickel-silver does give them a nice warmth though. I like the shields, but I do wish they were pinned.

Here's a shieldless Boker barlow for ya!

Brown Washboard Bone and what I believe is 440c, but I really haven't been able to find much (any) info on this knife.

8hXbjuK.jpg

vQXvC2C.jpg

H3JyU61.jpg
The Castle Burg is fantastic!
28029D06-671E-4E14-8880-5955F2787043.jpeg A892E6FE-E985-4CD2-84E8-E949A450B235.jpeg B48C1932-B123-4BA3-B82E-5A9C5AD2448B.jpeg
16D8810C-2C4A-4B7F-8544-4D01E3F851DD.jpeg
I don’t know a whole lot about this one either but I know it is sharp, got bit closing the blade after I took the picture!:)
4E6031FF-0F19-453E-90C3-1D67ED7E6675.jpeg 5DD9041D-77A3-460C-A823-45C2A80FF5F5.jpeg CBFEEEFE-F7E7-4286-8A8D-F6B2C2052A4C.jpeg
How about this one 83/325 O1 tool steel nice Micarta covers, and as all Boker’s are, snappy, snappy, snappy!:D
413053E4-506C-4513-A16E-554063958817.jpeg 60741651-EECB-4A01-BE7B-71A018DD9362.jpeg 86297811-879A-4707-A05C-9E3E10830BF2.jpeg
Have a good one!:thumbsup:

I was lucky to find this very full bladed Southern & Richardson Barlow, I have owned a couple in the past that were worked down to very short blades.
The almost unique Clip Blades on these are kinda cool, and I love the Light Bone on this one- not something I have seen before, usually the ones I see are Horn, Ebony.
Lots of Stampings Mark Side, just the one Southern Richardson Nest stamped on the Tang of the Spey Pile Side.

t0BnfLO.jpg

DWIO5S9.jpg

huNqFcQ.jpg

LwooXkH.jpg
That clip is interesting. Kinda reminds me of the clip on a russlock.

I was lucky to find this very full bladed Southern & Richardson Barlow, I have owned a couple in the past that were worked down to very short blades.
The almost unique Clip Blades on these are kinda cool, and I love the Light Bone on this one- not something I have seen before, usually the ones I see are Horn, Ebony.
Lots of Stampings Mark Side, just the one Southern Richardson Nest stamped on the Tang of the Spey Pile Side.

t0BnfLO.jpg

DWIO5S9.jpg

huNqFcQ.jpg

LwooXkH.jpg
Beautiful old Nest Knife my friend . They look so much like an Eye Witness right down to the Squared End . They do look a little shorter though I think .

Harry

Are your's not pinned?
I thought they were all pinned and mine has the holes showing for it.

You may very well be right. I haven’t looked close enough to be sure with the barlows. I had a recently produced, Boker Solingen Copperhead with a wonky shield. After removing it, I found it had a hole for a pin drilled, but was not pinned. :(

I’d be really pleased to find that’s not the case anymore. I’ll have to take a closer look.

:thumbsup:
The Castle Burg is fantastic!
View attachment 1507832 View attachment 1507833 View attachment 1507831
View attachment 1507840
I don’t know a whole lot about this one either but I know it is sharp, got bit closing the blade after I took the picture!:)
View attachment 1507835 View attachment 1507834 View attachment 1507836
How about this one 83/325 O1 tool steel nice Micarta covers, and as all Boker’s are, snappy, snappy, snappy!:D
View attachment 1507837 View attachment 1507838 View attachment 1507839
Have a good one!:thumbsup:

It really is! The Castle Burg barlow is what really got me started on collecting them. I wasn’t even aware of them until my wife bought me one for my birthday. One day of carrying it and I was hooked!

Yea, I wish I had some more info on the two bladed, brown washboard. I bought it on the secondary market and don’t even know where it came from. I’m guessing it’s probably an exclusive because of how little info is out there.

Dang you! I thought the O1 and Natural Canvas Micarta was going to be my ace in the hole, lol! It’s an overseas exclusive so I don’t imagine there are too many of us with them here on the forums. I’ll post a pic when I get home tonight along with another. :D

Great pics as always!

You may very well be right. I haven’t looked close enough to be sure with the barlows. I had a recently produced, Boker Solingen Copperhead with a wonky shield. After removing it, I found it had a hole for a pin drilled, but was not pinned. :(

I’d be really pleased to find that’s not the case anymore. I’ll have to take a closer look.

It really is! The Castle Burg barlow is what really got me started on collecting them. I wasn’t even aware of them until my wife bought me one for my birthday. One day of carrying it and I was hooked!

Yea, I wish I had some more info on the two bladed, brown washboard. I bought it on the secondary market and don’t even know where it came from. I’m guessing it’s probably an exclusive because of how little info is out there.

Dang you! I thought the O1 and Natural Canvas Micarta was going to be my ace in the hole, lol! It’s an overseas exclusive so I don’t imagine there are too many of us with them here on the forums. I’ll post a pic when I get home tonight along with another. :D

Great pics as always!
:D:D:D May have a few others up my sleeve, as I’m sure you do as well! Lots of fun!:thumbsup:

:D:D:D May have a few others up my sleeve, as I’m sure you do as well! Lots of fun!:thumbsup:

I only have the most recent productions from Boker barlow lineup, so I'm really curious to see if something comes out of the woodwork that I missed! I'm really giving a lot of thought to picking up another Olive (I knew I would miss that one when I gave it to my cousin, lol) and Stag. I'm feeling a bit silly for not grabbing the Smooth Yellow Bone while I had the chance. I imagine I'll be kicking myself if I don't grab the olive and stag again before they sell out.

Here's the O1 and Natural Canvas Micarta. :D Interesting, to me at least, that this one is one of the cheapest I've purchased, considering I had to buy it from an overseas dealer.

B9ejfA9.jpg

tk2Vkps.jpg

wo1xWUo.jpg

How about Plum Wood and C75 steel? I'm excited to see how this one ages! More and more dark colors have been coming out in the short time that I've owned it. :)

ZHEguLf.jpg

8t25Kma.jpg

d222MBx.jpg

P.S.
If you have the Boker barlow in Walnut and C75, we probably can't be friends anymore. :p

Last edited:
Back