What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

ZRO3veZ.jpg

Cool pairing. :cool:

And that's a good size comparison shot - for some reason I always thought the TCs were a bit bigger. Maybe the blade profile makes them look a bit longer.

You have deep sleeves, lol! I've got a few more, but I'll be out soon enough. :D

I agree with you on the pinning. I prefer it, but not being pinned is by no means a deal breaker. Judging by your pic, it does look like Boker is pinning the barlows. That's awesome!

The Expedition really is a great one! The combination of brass, micarta and the long pull just look phenomenal together. Of all the Boker barlows, the Expedition always seemed a bit of a cut above the rest to me, as far as fit and finish go.

P9xzXCc.jpg

KZc9SPT.jpg

QEkaQR8.jpg

<snip for brevity>

I'm heading off to work, but I'll swing back by when I get home. I'm only have one more to post!

Looks like yours had the really dark brass patina, then it started wearing off? Mine is just starting to have the darkness fade a bit in a few spots. Love the Expedition Barlow.

How about the single blade version of the Brown Washboard Bone and C75? I think I agree with @JohnDF and would have preferred no shield on this, like the two bladed version. Still a wonderful knife though. Boker did a really good job on the bone imo.
You got me with the single blade brown washboard, passed on it because I had the two blade version. That was a mistake, the single is really nice!
Did you mentioned olivewood in your last post?;) Just got this one the other day, shield is a tad bit off but I love the look of the olivewood.
DB7E6F87-7857-42B6-AE67-B26C8E5134C4.jpeg 43F38486-52A4-4672-A0D7-3B7E6958E56E.jpeg C3FB1F3A-119B-4BE3-9895-C1A9F5D6043A.jpeg
And, since it’s Stag Saturday, I thought I’d throw up some pics of this little beauty! Love the “popcorn” on the mark side and the burnt color at the bolster on the pile side. This one is carried and used quite a bit, no food prep so the patina is subtle but developing.
924072E2-C08D-4926-B4F7-7DD151DAB870.jpeg E507E0B3-3523-46AB-980F-B7DC43ED65CC.jpeg BBDA9647-325A-4839-B78D-7A6BAAE13EC6.jpeg
Have a good one!:thumbsup:

Looks like yours had the really dark brass patina, then it started wearing off? Mine is just starting to have the darkness fade a bit in a few spots. Love the Expedition Barlow.

It started off a nice bead blasted bronze and then quickly darkened from the lovely Washington beach weather (ie rain). A little pocket time has been brightening the patina a bit. :)

You got me with the single blade brown washboard, passed on it because I had the two blade version. That was a mistake, the single is really nice!
Did you mentioned olivewood in your last post?;) Just got this one the other day, shield is a tad bit off but I love the look of the olivewood.
View attachment 1508928 View attachment 1508929 View attachment 1508930
And, since it’s Stag Saturday, I thought I’d throw up some pics of this little beauty! Love the “popcorn” on the mark side and the burnt color at the bolster on the pile side. This one is carried and used quite a bit, no food prep so the patina is subtle but developing.
View attachment 1508934 View attachment 1508935 View attachment 1508936
Have a good one!:thumbsup:

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. I think your stag has me sold. I was already pretty sure I was going to pick up a new olive barlow, but now I think I'll go ahead and throw a stag in there too. That pile side is especially beautiful! Great coloration on the olive wood! Mine was a bit more boring than yours lol. My cousin grew up Haifa, Israel and had a bunch of olive trees in his yard so I ended up giving it to him when I saw him eyeing it. He lost it about a week later, lol!

Here's my final entry! A Boker barlow with reclaimed whisky barrel covers and C75 steel. :D

acH5pWp.jpg

g0sV2Bb.jpg

AchvjJM.jpg

That's all she wrote for me! The ones that I know that are out there somewhere are the: C75/Smooth Yellow Bone, Bog Oak/Damascus, and the Walnut/C75. I'm going to find one of those stinking walnuts one of these days! :D

I'm curious if there are some others that I missed.

It started off a nice bead blasted bronze and then quickly darkened from the lovely Washington beach weather (ie rain). A little pocket time has been brightening the patina a bit. :)

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. I think your stag has me sold. I was already pretty sure I was going to pick up a new olive barlow, but now I think I'll go ahead and throw a stag in there too. That pile side is especially beautiful! Great coloration on the olive wood! Mine was a bit more boring than yours lol. My cousin grew up Haifa, Israel and had a bunch of olive trees in his yard so I ended up giving it to him when I saw him eyeing it. He lost it about a week later, lol!

Here's my final entry! A Boker barlow with reclaimed whisky barrel covers and C75 steel. :D

acH5pWp.jpg

g0sV2Bb.jpg

AchvjJM.jpg

That's all she wrote for me! The ones that I know that are out there somewhere are the: C75/Smooth Yellow Bone, Bog Oak/Damascus, and the Walnut/C75. I'm going to find one of those stinking walnuts one of these days! :D

I'm curious if there are some others that I missed.
Love that whisky barrel! Missed out on that one. Is there much difference between the Whisky and Castle?
Other than new stuff coming out and stuff older than 2 years, I think between the two of us we have them covered. They did a beer barrel series, had a copperhead in that, but I don’t know if they had a barlow. Maybe someone else knows.
I have two left, I’ll post tomorrow. Here is a tease! :D
87070EEE-F97B-451C-94FB-0E76426F36AA.jpeg

I recently acquired this S&M..... I believe it was one of the leftover EDC knives..... The sanding of the backsprings has a linear twist that is visible..... Also there is blade rap where the spring pin hump is located..... (I think the cutler took too much off the kick)..... I resharpened the blade to get rid of the dent.... I'll leave the backspring surface alone for now.....
If not for those 2 issues it is a beautiful little knife......
20210213_121105.jpg 20210213_125440.jpg

Back