What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Thanks Harry! Going to do some bonding this week and introduce it to my Boker Club. :D I see you have both a single and a double bladed, do prefer one to the other?
The double bladed one is Ox Horn with worked back and the Single is Ramshorn with plain back . I Do Not have a favorite . I very seldom , if ever , carry them . They basically are Safe Queens . I initially bought them because I could not buy a GEC Barlow at the time and my intent was to collect Barlows of all brands . I also have a Ramshorn Lambfoot that I carry and Really like .

Harry

I ordered Ram’s horn but after seeing your Ox horn, I’m thinking I got Ox. Either way, super pleased with it!:thumbsup:
I guess that I can not tell you how to tell the difference but I can show you what happens to my Ox Handle when it is exposed to Sun Light . My Ramshorn does not exhibit that Fire like the Ox Horn .

Ramshorn Lambfoot at Top
Oxhorn Barlow at Bottom

Some Ramshorn , like this TEW Lambfoot , is almost transparent .

But , there were some Dark Ramshorn on some of the 2020 Forum Knives .
I expect that you did get the Ramshorn as ordered .

Harry

I guess that I can not tell you how to tell the difference but I can show you what happens to my Ox Handle when it is exposed to Sun Light . My Ramshorn does not exhibit that Fire like the Ox Horn .

Ramshorn Lambfoot at Top
Oxhorn Barlow at Bottom

Some Ramshorn , like this TEW Lambfoot , is almost transparent .

But , there were some Dark Ramshorn on some of the 2020 Forum Knives .
I expect that you did get the Ramshorn as ordered .

Harry
I’m sure you’re right Harry, the mark side being so dark made we wonder, but my experience with horn is so limited. It is truly a unique and beautiful material. Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures and share your knowledge. :thumbsup:

Back