What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Good points Scott. I'd noticed the relative similarity in long pull length but couldn't see why it hadn't been increased on the #77.

Agreed on the nail nick, from a user perspective it makes for a more flexible blade:)

P.S. In case you were wondering what happens if you do step on them.....

Sam

Good points Scott. I'd noticed the relative similarity in long pull length but couldn't see why it hadn't been increased on the #77.

Agreed on the nail nick, from a user perspective it makes for a more flexible blade:)

P.S. In case you were wondering what happens if you do step on them.....

Sam

I am shocked!!:eek::eek::eek:
Who would do such a thing???:confused::eek::confused::eek:

:D

BTW, thanks for the careful measuring of the components, Scott!:thumbup:
In the end, there has to be a sensible appearance for a knife to be beautiful. I think most of us do an internal processing, in order to say "I like that knife". But measuring, and knowing the reasons for the dimensions helps a person to appreciate the art of a knife.

400 pages in a flash it seems, here's to the next 400.

I like the look of the pouches too Charlie, not just that blue is my fav colour.

Russell

It's not subtle or anything - just a slip to keep your Pocket King (vs. Safe Queen!) from denting your coins!:D

Don't step on it though!:rolleyes:

Blue%20Suede%20slips%201_zpsaqz0nfpo.jpg

Oh dear... anyone seen Sarah recently?

Took some new pics of the old sheep today:
1495rvo.jpg

ml7blz.jpg

The new sheep and their suede barns are looking mighty fine! :D

I'm gonna name mine Carl Perkins 💙

Thanks, Perry!! Musically speaking, the Carl Perkins version of the song he wrote was a much bigger seller than Elvis' version. (And Perkins recorded his version on my 4th birthday!)

- GT

Wow GT, I didn't know that! Just tryin my hand at levity.:D Wish I knew how to take pictures like that, Primble! Amazing :thumbup::thumbup:
Perry

Primble, your pictures are works of art:thumbup: yes the subject is key to a good picture as well but you just take it to a whole nuther level;)

Hello everyone, very recent traditional fan and new to the forum. Amazed by the plethora of patterns out there! Hoping to absorb a small fraction of knowledge about Barlows. Love the TCs!

Hello everyone, very recent traditional fan and new to the forum. Amazed by the plethora of patterns out there! Hoping to absorb a small fraction of knowledge about Barlows. Love the TCs!

Welcome to the Traditional forum! The variety in these knives is fascinating. And yes, the Barlow is a true classic and perhaps one of the oldest pocket knife patterns of all, with it's roots going back to at least the early 1600's.

Thank you! I had no idea there was such a history there. I keep coming back to the Barlows and hope to aquire my first soon.

Took some new pics of the old sheep today:
1495rvo.jpg

ml7blz.jpg

The new sheep and their suede barns are looking mighty fine! :D

Nice photos Primble. I noticed that the light Tan one has holes in it! :eek: Being the gentleman that I am, I will trade you a nicer one that doesn't have holes and looks much better! :D

Being the gentleman that I am, I will trade you a nicer one that doesn't have holes and looks much better! :D

If I remember correctly, all of your sheep have departed to greener pastures. You have no sheep left to trade !!! :eek::D:D:D

Unless you are counting yer chickens (err - I mean sheep) before they hatch, from the new generation of sheep. ;):D

Here they are! 🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏🐏 😜

I heard in the wind that the latest Barlow run will ship this week!

Back