What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Ingenious! Hold dog with one hand, open knife and groom dog with the other, without letting go.

I haven't obtained a TC yet, but I did find something just as special, (at least to me). Buck #331 Grandaddy Barlow in Jigged Bone, a 1999 SMKW SFO made by Camillus, never cataloged by Buck. I now have all the Buck Barlows, now I guess I can work on finding a TC.

Nice clip-blade IXL - here's a couple of spear-blade cousins.

38955478e70c9dda6ddd780cc04e0e44_zpsiua7xf5g.jpg
[/IMG]

Agreed, those are great old IXLs, guys!

I've shown it here before, but here it is again... grandpa IXL! :D

IMG_6481_zpskhkp9xr8.jpg~original

IMG_6486_zpsrd9t6rka.jpg~original

Beautiful I*XL's Guys!!!!

Thank you all very much!

Atiger
I guess good looks run in the family. ;)

Phil
Ingenious! Hold dog with one hand, open knife and groom dog with the other, without letting go.

+1 :thumbup:
What he said ^^^^^
Nice avatar, Rusty!

Been carrying and using the Inside Out TC a lot, it has a fantastic snap I just love listening to.. I think it might be annoying my co-workers though.. ha..ha. The yellow Clip I carry more as a memento, sentimental, and haven't allowed myself to actually use it yet.

IMG_1422_zpsry0ycubi.jpg

I haven't obtained a TC yet, but I did find something just as special, (at least to me). Buck #331 Grandaddy Barlow in Jigged Bone, a 1999 SMKW SFO made by Camillus, never cataloged by Buck. I now have all the Buck Barlows, now I guess I can work on finding a TC.

That's a fine looking knife Sonny :thumbup:

I got into traditionals in 2015, and back then I spent hours poring over this thread and admiring all of the Barlows in it. I've kept up with it since, most often as a lurker. A Barlow -- a Ka-Bar Coppersmith -- was what got me interested in traditionals in the first place, and it remains my favorite pattern; this thread has only deepened my appreciation of the pattern.

But I'd always steered clear of carbon steel, wary of my ability to care for it properly, and that meant that the Barlows I admired most -- the ones I saw as best exemplifying the answer to this thread's titular question -- were "off limits." Until today! I decided to give carbon steel a shot, and was fortunate enough to be able to acquire the exact Barlow that's haunted my dreams: a GEC Northfield #77 with a single clip point blade, sawcut bone covers, and a long match-striker pull.

hAxpESx.jpg

9eEBzWg.jpg

8HavMt9.jpg

Pn8lAit.jpg

I decided that my best bet for making a real go of carbon steel was to buy a knife that cried out to be used, with a single blade for ease of maintenance, and a blade profile that suits itself well to a variety of tasks, including food prep. I've already used it to make a sandwich. ;)

Holding this knife feels like making a direct connection with the past. I love everything about it. Without this thread, and its ceaseless parade of beautiful Barlows, I'm not sure I would have bought this one -- so thank you to everyone who has posted here! :thumbup:

That is a real nice Knife Dadpool - like you say it has everything that one could desire ......Quite a stunning example.

That is a beautiful specimen! It looks near identical on both sides and the colors are great. It's perfect. Grats on an awesome example of a barlow!

Very nice find, Dadpool!

I always carried a Barlow as a kid, over six decades ago & over the last few years I've fallen back in love with them. I have a green saw cut 77, but I'm always on the lookout for any 15 or 77's on the Exchange. I usually miss them by a few hours, but I've gotten lucky a couple times.

Dadpool : That is a great Knife and great Barlow to start out with for using a carbon steel blade . Those are some pretty nice pictures also . If you treat that knife and steel right , it will not let you down my friend.

Harry

Dadpool. That's one of the best examples and set of photographs of the 77. Just beautiful. Glad you found one and are making use of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back