What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Wonderful Fish Barlow Guestwho!!! look at those covers:cool::thumbup::thumbup: darn spellcheck just kicks out Gev everytime:eek::D

Thanks, Paul!
Everyone knows Gev is cool, even spellcheck. :cool:

Hoo ahh, [emoji3]

Party time! :D

Atiger, Pt-Luso, Ron, Guestwho, you all have posted some very nice Barlows, is thread has so many fantastic Barlows posted in it, great reference.

These Queen Anniversary Barlows have become a little bit of an obsession of mine, pick them up whenever I can find one for cheap. They have really nice bone with great earth tone colors, they were made in 1972, hard to believe they are 45 years old now.

IMG_6682_zpsadoftpsq.jpg

IMG_6683_zpscsnkdceb.jpg

IMG_6686_zps8dmn91az.jpg

Thanks, Augie!
I can see where the obsession comes from..... :eek:
Anything Antique, Barlow, & Sawcut is addicting. :D :cool:

Augie, That bunch of queens sure are nice!, I can see why you like them so much!

Atiger- That Beekman is yet another name I have not stumbled acros so far- Nice Knife!

Augie, those Queen Barlows are fantastic! They have such a warm glow to the bone. Well done John. You're the master at hunting down old Barlows. :cool: :D

I do not know how I missed this one, Dee! But that is one gorgeous Barlow and the bone is just sublime. :thumbup::thumbup:

Atiger, Pt-Luso, Ron, Guestwho, you all have posted some very nice Barlows, is thread has so many fantastic Barlows posted in it, great reference.

These Queen Anniversary Barlows have become a little bit of an obsession of mine, pick them up whenever I can find one for cheap. They have really nice bone with great earth tone colors, they were made in 1972, hard to believe they are 45 years old now.

IMG_6682_zpsadoftpsq.jpg

Nice obsession, John! Every one of those has fantastic bone.

Eh, she's just OK.

:D :thumbup: Seriously, nice Barlow. I've never heard of Beekman. How does the bolster stamp relate to the name?

Beekman was a cutler in Germany from around 1900 to 1930 that seems to have had an association with Kastor. The backside of the blade is marked Germania Cutlery Works which was owned by the Kastor Brothers. The only other "OK" bolster mark I've ever seen was on an Ulster barlow knife which, by the way, was once owned by Kastor also. This may be purely coincidence but the Beekman-Germania-Kastor connection is the only information I've been able to find.

Even historically, are Barlows really stronger? All I see is an extra long bolster. I don't know how that equates to more strength.

Even historically, are Barlows really stronger? All I see is an extra long bolster. I don't know how that equates to more strength.

Today, it does not, because of how bolsters are made. Today they are more or less bolted on, so there is no increase in strength.

Barlows attained their reputation for rough strength several centuries ago when the bolster was an integral part of the hand forged frame. The larger bolster meant a stronger knife at that time.

Back