What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

It's not weird at all to like the Sawcut Delrin. :thumbup: I believe the covers on these Camilluses were molded, and if you look you can see where our knives have the same sawcut pattern, including the missed line near the bottom pin. :D

Ha! We have twin barlows. Too cool. :D

ATB, that is a great Barlow, a well built worker. As Rachel mentioned a molded saw cut cover. I had the exact knife, it resides in New Zealand now with Mister Duncan Morgan;):)

Rachel's has Barlow stamped on her Barlow bolster. I've noticed some had and some did not:cool:

Triplet barlows! (with an awwwwwful lot of other siblings out there). :p

Thank you both. I swear I learn something every time I post here (and plenty just from lurking). Interesting about the molded covers and the barlow stamp.

Yes folks.
Now you are seeing the other side of Mr. Paul Hilborn- Mr. Nice guy - but there's another side to this lad - where he insanely collects up all the precious ones - Crowning over them like a Bird of Prey - and Lord help anyone who happens to stumble across his hoard.
It's sad and it's scary all at the same time.

But- ....... there's good news because I will reach out to Paul and help him- free him from his prison that he lives in - in his own lonely World and take from him the burden he sees as treasure so he can be free.

Now, now, now Duncan my friend, you are already burdened with those magnificent HJ's. Let me carry the burden of Paul's TC's buddy, so that you are free to pursue the vast amount of HJ's that are just waiting for you to bring into your hoard....um home, yes that's it.

There that is settled and we are all happy campers.

Mark....... friend. I must inform you of your ignorance to the fact that you were born with the cursed talent and skill set to make your own awesome knives? I know because I eagerly await my two - which of course will have MUCH better Stag than that Hilborn fella's.
So to help Paul I don't think we should confuse him anymore. Proceed Paul..... Proceed.

It took me a good month or more to take the plunge and make this one into a user. But then, that's what they're for. Such a beautiful and perfectly functional knife.
b0b84cffc340b72b02b2489fb77e036c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took me a good month or more to take the plunge and make this one into a user. But then, that's what they're for. Such a beautiful and perfectly functional knife.

MJ, I understand the wanting to keep a knife pristine but man aren't they so much more fun to use:eek::thumbup: Yours is aging wonderfully:cool:

Are you listening Jack? Jack? you out there buddy:D

MJ, I understand the wanting to keep a knife pristine but man aren't they so much more fun to use:eek::thumbup: Yours is aging wonderfully:cool:

Are you listening Jack? Jack? you out there buddy:D

You're absolutely right Paul. There are so many small tasks for a Barlow that come up day to day. I just grew tired - and realised the absurdity - of fetching one of my used knives for each task when the TC peachseed was already in my pocket!! Yes, slightly crazy, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fellow member, Lloyd,aka Luger1952, once posted a photo that I've admired since I first saw it. It had seven old barlows arranged in a semi-circle and in the text of the post he extolled the beauty of the honey, caramel and cinnamon colors found in the handles of those old knives.

With only a few variations (I only have one Russell!), I've attempted to recreate that photo using a few of my own knives and it's clear to see what Lloyd was talking about. The beauty of old knives is many fold and adds to the pleasure and satisfaction of collecting a few.

Thanks Lloyd!

214a5cbf260e57c7aaf4d9ef7f643bf2_zpsm3xibqx8.jpg
[/IMG]

A fellow member, Lloyd,aka Luger1952, once posted a photo that I've admired since I first saw it. It had seven old barlows arranged in a semi-circle and in the text of the post he extolled the beauty of the honey, caramel and cinnamon colors found in the handles of those old knives.

With only a few variations (I only have one Russell!), I've attempted to recreate that photo using a few of my own knives and it's clear to see what Lloyd was talking about. The beauty of old knives is many fold and adds to the pleasure and satisfaction of collecting a few.

Thanks Lloyd!

[/IMG]

Yes! Atiger Nice shot! You're right great colors.

Great photo Atiger! Those are some very fine vintage Barlows:thumbup: Another color that comes to mind viewing your semi circle of Barlows is caramel--I can almost taste it in those bone handles:D. Well done, Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd!

[/IMG]

I totally agree with Sir !!!!

Harry

Thanks Lloyd!

[/IMG]

Beauties! :thumbup: Love those caramel Sugar Daddy Pop colors!

Thanks Lloyd!

[/IMG]

Great shot. Love these colors.

Nice shot, Atiger! I tend to like the same butterscotch to amber colors you have there, and one time when I had just got a new one in, I showed it to my wife.
"What do you think of this one, Hon?" Her response was, "It looks like all the other ones!" :( There's no accounting for taste.

Nice shot, Atiger! I tend to like the same butterscotch to amber colors you have there, and one time when I had just got a new one in, I showed it to my wife.
"What do you think of this one, Hon?" Her response was, "It looks like all the other ones!" :( There's no accounting for taste.

The [emoji3][emoji3][emoji847]. And all other possibilities[emoji3]

Back