1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Nov 12, 2012.

1. AlwaysTomboy

AlwaysTomboy

Jan 31, 2016
    Ha! We have twin barlows. Too cool. :D

Triplet barlows! (with an awwwwwful lot of other siblings out there). :p

Thank you both. I swear I learn something every time I post here (and plenty just from lurking). Interesting about the molded covers and the barlow stamp.

2. Markesharp

Markesharp

Mar 8, 2014
    Now, now, now Duncan my friend, you are already burdened with those magnificent HJ's. Let me carry the burden of Paul's TC's buddy, so that you are free to pursue the vast amount of HJ's that are just waiting for you to bring into your hoard....um home, yes that's it.

There that is settled and we are all happy campers.

3. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Mark....... friend. I must inform you of your ignorance to the fact that you were born with the cursed talent and skill set to make your own awesome knives? I know because I eagerly await my two - which of course will have MUCH better Stag than that Hilborn fella's.
    So to help Paul I don't think we should confuse him anymore. Proceed Paul..... Proceed.

4. MJ71

MJ71 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    It took me a good month or more to take the plunge and make this one into a user. But then, that's what they're for. Such a beautiful and perfectly functional knife. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    MJ, I understand the wanting to keep a knife pristine but man aren't they so much more fun to use:eek::thumbup: Yours is aging wonderfully:cool:

Are you listening Jack? Jack? you out there buddy:D

6. MJ71

MJ71 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    You're absolutely right Paul. There are so many small tasks for a Barlow that come up day to day. I just grew tired - and realised the absurdity - of fetching one of my used knives for each task when the TC peachseed was already in my pocket!! Yes, slightly crazy, I know.

7. Atiger

Atiger Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 7, 2016
    A fellow member, Lloyd,aka Luger1952, once posted a photo that I've admired since I first saw it. It had seven old barlows arranged in a semi-circle and in the text of the post he extolled the beauty of the honey, caramel and cinnamon colors found in the handles of those old knives.

With only a few variations (I only have one Russell!), I've attempted to recreate that photo using a few of my own knives and it's clear to see what Lloyd was talking about. The beauty of old knives is many fold and adds to the pleasure and satisfaction of collecting a few.

Thanks Lloyd!

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    Yes! Atiger Nice shot! You're right great colors.

9. Luger1952

Luger1952 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Great photo Atiger! Those are some very fine vintage Barlows:thumbup: Another color that comes to mind viewing your semi circle of Barlows is caramel--I can almost taste it in those bone handles:D. Well done, Lloyd

10. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

11. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I totally agree with Sir !!!!

Harry

12. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Beauties! :thumbup: Love those caramel Sugar Daddy Pop colors!

13. freekboi

freekboi

Mar 3, 2006
    Great shot. Love these colors.

14. Sandmage

Sandmage Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Those old barlows have such great character to them. Thank you for posting Atiger!

15. GuestWho101

GuestWho101 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2013
    [​IMG]

16. Knife freaky

Knife freaky

Dec 1, 2016
    Love that![emoji1303]

Daniel.

17. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thats a very nice I*XL!

18. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Nice shot, Atiger! I tend to like the same butterscotch to amber colors you have there, and one time when I had just got a new one in, I showed it to my wife.
    "What do you think of this one, Hon?" Her response was, "It looks like all the other ones!" :( There's no accounting for taste.

19. GuestWho101

GuestWho101 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks fellas!

20. AShearer

AShearer

Nov 30, 2016
    The [emoji3][emoji3][emoji847]. And all other possibilities[emoji3]