What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Wow! That just brought a tear to the eye.[emoji22]( In a good way!) so many beautiful Barlows! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul ,

I knew you had a few Barlows and have been an advocate for a long time , but " wow ".

Ken

Yes folks.
Now you are seeing the other side of Mr. Paul Hilborn- Mr. Nice guy - but there's another side to this lad - where he insanely collects up all the precious ones - Crowning over them like a Bird of Prey - and Lord help anyone who happens to stumble across his hoard.
It's sad and it's scary all at the same time.

But- ....... there's good news because I will reach out to Paul and help him- free him from his prison that he lives in - in his own lonely World and take from him the burden he sees as treasure so he can be free.

Paul, that is a superb collection. Beautifully photographed. Thank you so much for sharing. Those yellow covers really "pop". I hadn't really paid attention to those before. Congratulations on amassing all these TCs. MJ.

Thank you EVERYONE, I appreciate your very kind comments:thumbup:

I have owned a lot of TCs and only have a 1/2 dozen left. But out of all of them this Brazilian Rosewood single spear (152114STL) is I think my favorite! Only seven produced. Lloyd

PS: I also agree--would to see a photo of Paul H. TC collection:thumbup:

7c1bfea7-6b0e-43b4-becd-dd611fdd761c_zpsom2olnpn.jpg

Lloyd a BEAUTIFUL and RARE TC right there my friend:cool:

My TC sitting on a white fence, looks like it could use a fresh coat of paint ;)

Cscholl, that's a great picture of a great knife:cool:

Yes folks.
Now you are seeing the other side of Mr. Paul Hilborn- Mr. Nice guy - but there's another side to this lad - where he insanely collects up all the precious ones - Crowning over them like a Bird of Prey - and Lord help anyone who happens to stumble across his hoard.
It's sad and it's scary all at the same time.

But- ....... there's good news because I will reach out to Paul and help him- free him from his prison that he lives in - in his own lonely World and take from him the burden he sees as treasure so he can be free.

Duncan, I laughed out loud my friend, not sure if anyone can eloquently convey their thoughts quite like you:p for some reason the hunchback of Notre Dame popped into my head, looming over my collection.

Quasimodo guarding my hoard:D

T0qrsk.jpg

Paul, that is a superb collection. Beautifully photographed. Thank you so much for sharing. Those yellow covers really "pop". I hadn't really paid attention to those before. Congratulations on amassing all these TCs. MJ.

Thank you MJ, much appreciated. I love the yellows:thumbup:

Paul, amazing collection, just beautiful.

The TC's are Barlows that have eluded me for the most part. I do have a few with the best being this one from the first run that Charlie generously traded to me.

IMG_4073_zpsiefx0ahz.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Paul and for that visual treat! The organization you did made it even better to gaze upon :thumbup::thumbup:

Christian

Very fine collection Paul . I am afraid that I don't appreciate the significance of the special ones that you have collected as much as many of you do , but I do fully appreciate a collection of some very fine looking Barlows. I do appreciate the Gunstock Checking one that Evan did . That one is verrrrry special .
You pictures of your collection was worth the price of admission my friend .. Thank you for the show .

Harry

Gorgeous collection; your year by year photos really enhances their beauty. :thumbup::thumbup: And ending with the crème de la crème checkered TC is icing on the cake!

Thank you for requesting pictures everyone, as of late they were just haphazardly spread throughout the house and you inspired me to gather them up and place in one central location.

The TC's are my passion along with vintage pruners and although I can't persue them all I try to get a release from every year. I have MANY friends to thank for helping me to amass my collection. Several are gifts, several are others parting with their beloved TC's and others giving me a heads up when and where they are available:thumbup:

Thanks to all of you for helping me in my efforts:cool::thumbup:

Yellow...

tTf4FB.jpg

Thanks to so many here: Charlie, Duncan, Barry (Gunstock) Barry (Singin 50) Ron and so many other:thumbup:

Paul - Just a beautiful collection my friend! :thumbup: I am curious! The far left in the Yellow group shot has me puzzled. It is not a Single Blade Days Work because it has 2 nail nicks and one is in the wrong place. The 2 blade Days Work beside it proves that. I just wonder........ it sure does look like a.......... no it couldn't be! Ok I am going to stick my foot in my mouth, is that a Cap Lifter blade and a modded Spey/Spear?

I don't know if this is a good traditional barlow, but I'm having fun cleaning the rust off and trying to get it sharp. :) Is it weird I kinda like the texture of sawcut delrin?

ECEB0054-9B0C-4903-A30F-D3F8F736CFFF_zpsray7hkes.jpg

C4C1956F-70EE-4BDD-9A68-0FB9A2B8831C_zpsejervad6.jpg

I don't know if this is a good traditional barlow, but I'm having fun cleaning the rust off and trying to get it sharp. :) Is it weird I kinda like the texture of sawcut delrin?

That is a fine Traditional Barlow . That is a Camillus , I think a 51 , and I think Carbon Blades. And it was never ever carried much . Probably the vintage right after they stopped using bone handles.

Harry

Looks great!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! 'Course I didn't think to take before shots, but it had big splotchy rust spots on both blades. Not as much pitting under the rust as I expected, but blurry photos make it look better than it is.

53A4CD6F-C672-4FE3-9EE9-B28BC5B1FBF9_zpsiaboxo8r.jpg

That is a fine Traditional Barlow . That is a Camillus , I think a 51 , and I think Carbon Blades. And it was never ever carried much . Probably the vintage right after they stopped using bone handles.

Harry
Oo, awesome. Yes, it says 51 on the other side of the tang. Very good to know. Thanks much for the info!

It's not weird at all to like the Sawcut Delrin. :thumbup: I believe the covers on these Camilluses were molded, and if you look you can see where our knives have the same sawcut pattern, including the missed line near the bottom pin. :D

Last edited:
Paul - Just a beautiful collection my friend! :thumbup: I am curious! The far left in the Yellow group shot has me puzzled. It is not a Single Blade Days Work because it has 2 nail nicks and one is in the wrong place. The 2 blade Days Work beside it proves that. I just wonder........ it sure does look like a.......... no it couldn't be! Ok I am going to stick my foot in my mouth, is that a Cap Lifter blade and a modded Spey/Spear?

No, No Ron, you are fine to say it my friend and totally CORRECT:thumbup: a modification by Evan. I wondered who would notice and you did not let me down, good eye Ron:thumbup:

ATB, that is a great Barlow, a well built worker. As Rachel mentioned a molded saw cut cover. I had the exact knife, it resides in New Zealand now with Mister Duncan Morgan;):)

Rachel's has Barlow stamped on her Barlow bolster. I've noticed some had and some did not:cool:

Again, thank you everyone for your very kind compliments:thumbup:

Back