What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Chestnut Peach Seed :D

32006484287_ce89ff3de6_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
Been looking for that exact knife. No luck

I got it used from a guy I met through my first sales ad on eBay. He lives 20 miles away and we've become friends. I traded him a new tc red jig bone single clip for it. Couple years later , traded it for a new tc spear antique Amber . Couple years after that , while looking through exchange I noticed the third owner had sold it. I contacted the fourth owner stating if he decided to part with it , I'd be interested. Couple days later , he offered it to me. He told me he felt it should be with me . Nice guy . He's got dibs

View attachment 1058192 View attachment 1058188 View attachment 1058189

As much as I appreciate Charlie’s creativity and willingness to push the boundaries in search of the perfect Barlow, the distressed bolsters on the Ancients was just one step too far for me. Now that this one is all polished up, I can begin to distress it myself!

Thank you @JITDC for giving me the idea.

Totally agree...faux patina rubs me wrong, whether found on a hot rod, furniture, or a knife. Charlie has produced more home runs than anyone (and I have several of his masterpieces) but the Ancients just don't do it for me.

Totally agree...faux patina rubs me wrong, whether found on a hot rod, furniture, or a knife. Charlie has produced more home runs than anyone (and I have several of his masterpieces) but the Ancients just don't do it for me.

Agreed. I can't get my brain around buying a brand new knife that looks old, especially when you can buy a genuine used old knife for less money. Heck, I have made several knives look old in a decade or two all by myself. I appreciate old age and experience as things that go hand and hand.

I do find joy in the memories from the past stirred up by having and using a well used knife handed down from a relative, or having the one I carried and used everyday as a young man and could only afford to have one, but I also like having my brand new from the box Case Barlow sitting in my pocket ready for a lot of use now and in the years to come. I also have discovered that I miss the USA factories like Camillus, Schrade, Queen and others, and it gives me hope that an American company like Case is continuing mass production of traditional patterns.

Of course this is not to detract from GEC's or Mr. Charlie's amazing ability to find ways to generate interest in the hobby by making very fine collector grade bespoke knives in smaller lots, to suit the more serious collector market. As these knives sell out quickly and often are resold at a profit, it demonstrates a very keen understanding of the current collector market, which one can't help but admire.

Vintage sawcut bone scaled Boker 492 that was rescued from a junk box. I replaced broken main blade backspring, removed broken pen blade layer. cleaned up the rusted main blade, reassembled the knife and it's ready to carry for many more years.

IMG_1307.jpg

Back