What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I have to agree, those are my favorite covers of all the TCs. Is that one new to you? You were looking for one last I recall.
Indeed it is new to me. Took a long time to locate. I’m actually not a huge fan of the sheepsfoot. But there is something about those covers and that blade combination that sets it apart. I have a very well used one as well which I’ll post pictures of when I get the chance. MJ.

just in, quick pic, lovely Trevor Ablett barlow, generously from and practically gifted by Paul @Chui
this will be a gentle carry for me, but it's going in my pocket (slip)! I'm a lucky dog.
View attachment 1164279
A Superb Trevor Ablett.

1C30E28C-0EDF-42F4-B403-A6287332D908_zpskuwudmqi.jpeg

Every time I see this thread I can’t help but wonder.

What makes a BAD traditional barlow?
A few weeks ago I seen some barlows on a table at a flea market. Well naturally I went over to check them out, oh boy did I get to see what makes a bad barlow. Wish I would have taken a pic, Pakistani stuff. The bad Pakistani stuff,and that's say'n something. About 30 degrees of side to side play, and somehow still hard to open and wouldn't snap shut. The edge bevels were a riot, best part $15.00 apiece. Well as the man said "Thems real barlows,cant find those no more "o_O I wish I had one of my barlows on me,I sure would have been tempted to show the guy a "real" barlow lol. I'll keep eye out if I see them again I'll grab a pic.
l0nRApY.jpg

You know,cause'n ya cant find them barlows no more;)

Back