What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

IMG-20190927-114629.jpg
I have never dreamt of ever obtaining one of those PPP #15 barlows. Text on the back of the tube made me smile and filled my soul with warmth, a kind of connection with people I've never met. Thank you, waynorth waynorth !

A few of my TC's, a couple have moved from the 2nd group since...

FfDjSuT.jpg

SEgpElF.jpg

The Rendezvous special #31 out of 30 believe it or not - pictured 3rd down - gifted to me and most precious to me, I was devastated to say the least upon finding - during a maintenance visit- that this knife obtained a rust spot - it broke my heart- but the knife will stay with me forever.......

KE5wz3a.jpg
Such a wonderful collection, Duncan.

Absolutely stellar! That’s a knife that would make me stop acquiring others and carry to the grave:thumbsup::thumbsup: someday....
Good to see someone so enamored with a knife, that is as big a confirmation about your ideal knife as you can get. Hope you can track one down.:p

I do remember in the days of old the known difference from the early cutlers from Germany and Sheffield - this was the difference- the Germans left the corners- Sheffield lads didn’t - but I am not sure if this at all had any effect on earl day Schrade - I’m sure it would have been purely as you say - the Barlow was seen as a cheap usable tool that cost just a few cents to buy and certainly by no means a Sunday Church Knife

Paul, nice old Schrade! I’m always curious though, why wouldn’t they file down the handles to blend in with the bolsters? I get it that it’s a working mans knife and not a piece of art, but you’d think it might be uncomfortable to use.

Thanks Jim.

As far as I know they were left square to be more cost effective. Most multi blade knives have sharp edges with tangs sticking out and such and the bone being sharp in one little area makes little to no difference to me. Multi blade knives compromise in ergonomics anyways, but that usually doesn't even matter unless you are doing hard cutting where a firm grip and harder pressure is required, in which case hot spots and sharp edges are much more noticeable. When used over time the edges of the bone will smooth out, unlike sharp tangs that stick up. I have a well worn example of the same schrade barlow and it's very noticeable how the corners of the bone have smoothed nicely versus the barely used example.

Last edited:
Thank you all for kind words and likes. I just got lucky. I can't believe that the knife was still available after all those four hours I was considering to pull the trigger.

Absolutely stellar! That’s a knife that would make me stop acquiring others and carry to the grave:thumbsup::thumbsup: someday....

Funny you say that. I took this picture during a walk through cemetery. The knife is posing on an actual gravestone.

As for stopping acquiring other knives... I am not saying, you are lying, but I have been in this hobby for too long to believe you really would. ;)

Well- that just made my day That request my friend! - good ol' Flat Belly, seen here Top in photo #1 - I think I snapped this shot at the 2016 Rendezvous? Flat Belly hasnt come out in the edc rotation for a while- so I will grab him out and bang that great ol' Knife in my pocket - Thank you for remembering that well traveled TC! :)

g3qusmi.jpg

Flat Belly at the bottom of this photo, this was such a horrible lesson in not lending your knife- I was assembling a machine from memory with my Boss - he wanted to cut some Plastic Wire Ties - I'm not sure how or what he did- but the blade was badly nicked :eek::(, Flat Belly was worked on extensively by the rescue teams - although slightly deformed - lives on!:D :thumbsup:

Back