What method do you use to sharpen your knives with?

what method do most commonly you use to use to sharpen your knives with

• Freehand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jig/Sharpmaker/guided apparattus

• bench grinder/belt sander

• other

• Total voters

BJE

Just trying to get an idea of what the most popular way of sharpening knives is on this forum.

I've always done freehand and I still do, but recently I bought a lansky system (with all five stones) and I've been using that to re-profile my edges, but other than that I use freehand to maintain the edge.

You get that silky smooth sound when you do freehand. It's like a woman, you have to feel the knife and listen to the sound it makes as it glides effortlessly across the stone....Mmmmm......the sound is soothing :D

I use a Lansky or KME system to re-profile. I use a leather hone with green chromium oxide compound to maintain the edge. So far this combo has worked well for me.

i have an Edge Pro Apex that works great but I use a DMT Diamond hone and a leather strope just as often. If I'm doing a lot of work it's the Edge Pro, but if I'm just touching it up, I do it by hand.

I spent years learning to ignore the "wisdom" handed down to me 50 years ago. Eventually, I learned to sharpen free-hand, and eventually I found Japanese water stones. I agree with Batosai that you eventually learn the sound and feel of correct sharpening. You also learn that some knife steels give better feel when sharpening that way. The big thing in free-hand sharpening is to learn how to maintain a constant angle.

However, these days I save a lot of time by using a jig to keep the angle constant. When I've got a blade that's only a little less sharp than I like, I usually grab my Spyderco Sharpmaker. But if I've got a knife that needs to be rebeveled, I always use my Edge Pro. The Edge Pro is a terrific invention, and Ben's support of his product is unexcelled.

IdahoBackwoods

All of the above for me. Freehand and the sharpmaker are for relaxation. Usually whilst sipping a cold beverage and watching tee vee.

In a hurry, doing a bunch at one time, or doing one for a friend? Belt sander (if needed), then the paper wheels. Quick and very efficient.

I'm way too clumsy to use anything other than a Lansky or Sharpmaker.

i enjoy using stones and strops, but when i sharpen for other people i use my belt sander and power strops, followed by a hand stropping.

80grit sand paper at start for lowering the angle, after that comes lansky crocksticks to set a microbevel and I finish with a strop.

I use a sharpmaker and also touch up free hand.

I've got some wheels on the way so I'll be using my grinder soon.

I use all of the above. I do the sand paper thing more than any other. Belt sander for really bad ones.

I free hand scandi's on the Sharpmaker in the planer blade position. I either free hand woth sandpaper/mouse pad and sandpaper or work on a belt sander for convex, and for everything else I use a Sharpmaker. Unless I'm sharpening dead dull knives for others, then I use paper wheels/belt sander (which ever one I have available), then finish with the Sharpmaker.

For a long time I've used CrockSticks or Sharpmaker for finish sharpening following freehand sharpening as needed. But as I became interested in studying steels and testing edge retention, I started mounting benchstones in a jig to control edge angle, and now typically do that.

sharpening-jig.jpg

Back