What method do you use to sharpen your knives with?

what method do most commonly you use to use to sharpen your knives with

• Freehand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jig/Sharpmaker/guided apparattus

• bench grinder/belt sander

• other

• Total voters
Exclusively freehand. Most of the time I use my DMT (C/F/XF) for sharpening with the final polish on a wood-backed leather strop (loaded with mothers metal polish; not terribly aggressive, but works quite well). I do carry an arkansas pocket stone in my pack which sees occasional useage.

I use a paper wheel set up. 400 grit glued to one side of the grinder and the other wheel is slotted for polishing compound. I can feel my hairs shiver just seeing my type this, I have a huge bald spot on my left forearm from my brand new skirmish!
-Barry-

I use a ceramic bathroom tile that has had the grout grooves removed from the back.

I used an old belt on the 4X36 belt sander to grind a flat surface on the back. That way I have a coarse side and a fine side.

Jim L.

i use and ezesharp bladesharpener and ceramic stone with 70:30 motor oil to kerosine for lubricant.
then i finish them up on a dickoran rough steel, then the dickoran polish for a razor edge.

sharpening mr miyagi yet :D but i sharpen freehand on an old stone that was my grandads (no clue what it is) and i have various other stones, etc. i get them sharp enough for me suppose thats all that matters, i can get hair poppin on a few of my knives on others i cant but i can get all of them sharp enough to cut what i need:) food in the kitchen fears me!:D
cheers
ivan

Looks like guided sharpenig has a lead. Does anyone still need to vote?

I've a lot of free hand now the eyes going and hands hurting from arth. I just got the KME set up and really like it. I just take my time and make it fine.

Re-profile with Edge Pro---touch up with waterstones----strop with green chromium oxide.

I use both my Edge-Pro rofessional and a mousepad/sandpaper manual method. I use different methods for different knives.

I like to sharpen my knives freehand on a set of Arkansas stones, I also use a Norton India Oil Stone quite often as well as my Norton Crysolon Pike stone when I need to rebevel the edge. I have a couple jigs(and a sharpmaker), but they don't see much use. I really like my natural stones. I mostly carry carbon steel slippies and my arkansas stones handle them just fine.

I'm still using the Sharpemaker, but I am wanting to freehand so bad.

I can't decide on the stones. DMT's 6x2 or 8x3 in blue, red, green, or Norton Water stones.

I can be so indecisive sometimes it's irritating:eek:

I use all methods, but I put guided method in my "vote" because I usually rebevel all my new edges to very thin angles with my Edge Pro, then I use a combination of the other methods, depending on my mood and available time.

Giving this topic more thought, I guess I use many different methods depending on the knife and time. Just touch up allot on a strop. Some but not all ways I use in picture.

P1010002-vi.jpg

Spyderco Sharpmaker is what I use. It does a great job and it is easy to use.:)

Lansky has served me pretty well for many years except for the larger blades. Takes too long.

Anyway, all that will change in a few short weeks when I get my Delta 1x42 belt sander. Gonna save me a lot of time for sure!

Giving this topic more thought, I guess I use many different methods depending on the knife and time. Just touch up allot on a strop. Some but not all ways I use in picture.

P1010002-vi.jpg
That is a nice setup.

I use a coarse diamond stone and a DMT guide to reprofile all of my new knives to 15 degress per side. After doing that, I use a Sharpmaker to keep these knives sharp.

If I can freehand accurately, these knives would not need reprofiling and I'd just use a benchstone. Sharpening would be MUCH easier.

Back