Off Topic What methodology is acceptable/useful for proof testing of "hard use" marketed knives ?

All that tells you nothing about how reliable the lock is.
Actually I was referring to fixed blades. I try and use the right knife for the right job and I don't consider any folder suitable for hard use.

That said in over 40 years of collecting and using quality custom and factory folding knives I have only ever had one lock fail on me in actual use.
What has happened...........far more often, is that the blade itself has problems such as poor heat treat, poor steel quality or some manufacturing issue which affects the blades ability to actually do its intended task.....cut, stay sharp, and be reasonably easy to resharpen.

All that tells you nothing about how reliable the lock is.
Yup, also tells nothing about the pivot and how all lateral stress on a folder goes right to the pivot area. Flex a folder a few times and you have likely loosened that pivot area, possibly beyond repair. A hard use folder, is like rock crawling in a sports car. Yeah, you can build one to do that, but why not just get just get a proper 4x4, ie. fixed blade.

A man’s got to know his (knife’s) limitations.

Common sense and past experience will tell you what a knife can handle. No point in crossing that line.
One of the great quotes of all time:)

Back