What SAK are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by arizonaranchman, Sep 21, 2014.

1. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004

Yes, there is indeed seasons, and for whatever reason, the 74mm is my season for a pocketknife now. I'm still living an active life, but the theater of that life has changed. I'm no longer going into the wilderness areas on my own, I'm no longer riding out on deserted county roads on old motorcycles or Italian Vespa motor scooters, and I'm not driving cross country anymore an ld VW bug from decades past. As senior citizens, my wife and I take the tours at the places we go. We liked the tour bus that took us all around Yosemite and Yellowstone, and stopped at the high lights. We drive 2016 and 2019 Toyota's so the odd of having to make a roadside repair is slim to none. If we have a breakdown, we'll call AAA and get a tow to the Toyota dealer.

For the Harry homeowner role, I have a work shop out back with a full compliment of tools, as well as a tool kit in the house so I don't have to run out to the shop for a pliers or wrench. I do find thinned for a small screw driver for fishing reels, firearms, small appliances, to be a handy thing to have. While out at Jessica's place in California, I fixed a G.E, toaster, a AA battery powered pencil sharpener, and a sticky bathroom door on the guest bathroom, all with my little executive. The nail file tip handled the little Phillips screws in the toaster's bottom plate, and the larger blade on the executive scraped off a tiny bit of wood on the top outer edge of the door so it doesn't stick anymore. Then I fixed my granddaughters sweater with the tweezers.

It's the season for the old man's knife for me now. It was 50 years ago when I go try first SAK, I picked one that had saw blades, metal files, chisels, scissors, corkscrew, fishscaler, and what seems like a hundred other tools. I didn't carry it long before going down to a 5 layer SAK, then a 3 layer SAK. I figured that I didn't really need all those tools on the big SAK's in a day to day life. Eventually I ended up with a 2 layer SAK as my EDC, combined with a Buck 301 stockman. Eventually, even the stockman was in the sock drawer, and then on to my grandson, Ryan.

At this stage of my life, in and around American suburbia, or even traveling cross county a few times a year, the smaller one and two layer SAK's are all I need. Theres sooooo many two layer models that give sooo much. The small tinker, spartan, Recruit, pioneer, cadet. Even the one layer models like the waiter, bantam, ambassador, and classic, can handle a very very surprising amount of jobs. Thanks to my my wife Karen, I did the great classic experiment of 1994, and came away converted to the classic as a serious tool under the radar.

My dad and Mr. Van both preached pretty much the same thing, but in slightly different terms. That you never know what will happen between the time you walk out the door in the morning, and you return home. But it will be helpful to have a sharp knife in the pocket, and if that knife has a few tools on it, then its gravy for the potatoes.

A SAK fits that bill just fine.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    "Woods Wander" Sunday.. So a Walker it is!!!;)
    John

3. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    Infidel! ;)

allenC and jmh33 like this.
  4. sonofwilfred

sonofwilfred Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Old faithful doing the dirty work again today.

5. Filoso

Filoso Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 22, 2013
  6. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Fieldmaster
    C575CDE8-E5D5-4A26-9D58-8BB72EB4D45C.jpeg

7. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    There should be an Enabler tab!
    Gota look into Alox- such amazing colors.

jmh33 and Filoso like this.
  8. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
  9. TonySal

TonySal

Jan 10, 2015
    ...nice lanyard too !!

jmh33, Grateful and JaxBaron like this.
  10. Zephyr One/Zero

Zephyr One/Zero

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

11. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Today, the Vic Climber Silvertech.

sonofwilfred, TonySal and jmh33 like this.
  12. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    1995 Alox Soldier
    IMG_1055_edited.jpg

13. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Modified SAK to increase productivity today, budding Walnut trees. 102,000 of them
    Sorry the photos are in reverse order.

14. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    Rambler today.
    IMG_0981_edited.jpg

allenC, TFBraden, Filoso and 8 others like this.
  15. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    That is amazing! (Both the budding operation and the ingenious modification.) :thumbsup:

16. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Well, as nice as the Climber was, it was replaced by my Vic Explorer for EDC.

17. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Serrated blade Spartan is riding along in the watch pocket today!!:D
    John

TonySal, sonofwilfred and allenC like this.
  18. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Thanks,the sak mod has increased daily budding productivity by 30% and hopefully increase strike rate because of the more accurate duel cut

Ace Rimmer, Storm 8593 and TonySal like this.
  19. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Today I carried my very first pocket knife. Mum bought it for me at World Expo 88 in Brisbane Australia. The lady in front of me in the line at the Switzerland display cut her finger quite badly on the saw blade of this knife. There not only useful knives they bring back alot of memories.

20. Storm 8593

Storm 8593

Jan 4, 2019
    Awesome that you still have the one that started it all ! You must be in a very small minority that does

TonySal and sonofwilfred like this.