What SAK are ya totin' today?

ilATaqm.jpg

Today I went through some boxed SAK's I have put away. I decided to carry this nylon scaled tourist, well that's what I had assumed it was. To my surprise after opening the small blade, it turns out it's a file. A sweet sportsman.
A great opportunity to get a modern sportsman and my Alumnus out for a group photo, files out.
aWGrp8a.jpg

sonofwil,
Took out of your boxed up SAKS!! Curious....just how many SAK'S do you have??
Jim
I haven't actually counted them all. I collect red plastic scale knives in 84mm and 91mm from 1980-2000 and of them i know I don't have a scientist, yoeman or an original golfer. So I can tell you I don't have at least 3 :)

I haven't actually counted them all. I collect red plastic scale knives in 84mm and 91mm from 1980-2000 and of them i know I don't have a scientist, yoeman or an original golfer. So I can tell you I don't have at least 3 :)
GOOD GRIEF!! I'm satisfied with just "one"my S18 !! I've been where you are with knives.....I have... had enough to outfit SEAL TEAMS & DELTA!! I'm 76,one day(when I was normal)looked at what was before me & said...why??
THEN ...started downsizing....amazing what you no longer need or can do without! I have one ? "IF"you could keep only TWO SAK's what would they be??By the way...your collection....sounds AWESOME!
Thanks for your time,
Jim

GOOD GRIEF!! I'm satisfied with just "one"my S18 !! I've been where you are with knives.....I have... had enough to outfit SEAL TEAMS & DELTA!! I'm 76,one day(when I was normal)looked at what was before me & said...why??
THEN ...started downsizing....amazing what you no longer need or can do without! I have one ? "IF"you could keep only TWO SAK's what would they be??By the way...your collection....sounds AWESOME!
Thanks for your time,
Jim
0fgRQdt.jpg

These 2 would be the two I would keep. My very first knife, the camper. My dear old mum bought it for me. And the Swiss Champ, I'm going to carry it today. I carried it in my wedding day and made a minor repair to my wife's dress with it in the church. The dress maker had sewn a pin into the waistband of her wedding dress and it was poking my wife.
There is definitely no reason to have so many SAK's but through buying them and finding them over the last 33 years I have met a bunch of great fellas from all over the world who are very friendly and very generous and to me that's worth it.
And when I reach your age Jim, I'm 45, and I'm selling them and gifting them to the next generation I'll meet a whole new bunch of fellas.
Thanks Jim keep in touch,
Dan

{"
0fgRQdt.jpg

These 2 would be the two I would keep. My very first knife, the camper. My dear old mum bought it for me. And the Swiss Champ, I'm going to carry it today. I carried it in my wedding day and made a minor repair to my wife's dress with it in the church. The dress maker had sewn a pin into the waistband of her wedding dress and it was poking my wife.
There is definitely no reason to have so many SAK's but through buying them and finding them over the last 33 years I have met a bunch of great fellas from all over the world who are very friendly and very generous and to me that's worth it.
And when I reach your age Jim, I'm 45, and I'm selling them and gifting them to the next generation I'll meet a whole new bunch of fellas.
Thanks Jim keep in touch,
Dan
OUTSTANDING!
Jim

This one today and it may be the oldest small Tinker I own. I have older SAK's but this is the oldest two layer. Someday I hope to grab one with scale pins:thumbsup:
jAAVfX.jpg

The bottle opener has the beveled edge, similar to the edge on the awl.
IHh45n.jpg

The can opener has the +PAT stamp on it.
9DdTuB.jpg

The square phillips is not the tin can opening phillips. This is solid and has the file incorporated on the side.
JRSJtt.jpg

So to sum up things, clip secondary, +PAT stamp on the can opener, beveled edge on the bottle opened, no eyelet in the awl and one thing I noticed is that the shield is closer (higher) to the tang stamp end of the knife's main blade:) over all, it's in very good shape. I did have to clean it extensively as a few of the blades where hard to open, sticky like:eek: but well worth the effort:thumbsup:
SxylKB.jpg

This one today and it may be the oldest small Tinker I own. I have older SAK's but this is the oldest two layer. Someday I hope to grab one with scale pins:thumbsup:
jAAVfX.jpg

IHh45n.jpg

9DdTuB.jpg

The square phillips is not the tin can opening phillips. This is solid and has the file incorporated on the side.
JRSJtt.jpg

So to sum up things, clip secondary, +PAT stamp on the can opener, beveled edge on the bottle opened, no eyelet in the awl and one thing I noticed is that the shield is closer (higher) to the tang stamp end of the knife's main blade:) over all, it's in very good shape. I did have to clean it extensively as a few of the blades where hard to open, sticky like:eek: but well worth the effort:thumbsup:
SxylKB.jpg
Wow another ripper of a knife there Paul.

Wow another ripper of a knife there Paul.
Thanks Dan, wish there was a way to narrow down the knife's manufacture date. I learn that little things help to indicate if it's older than others but it would be neat to close the gap so to say:)

T
I just ordered the German Army. It’s taking its time, though. I hope I like the part serrated. Might have to attempt serrating the back third myself.
The back third being a regular edge, is handy for cutting cord I like it like that.

jAAVfX.jpg

IHh45n.jpg

9DdTuB.jpg

JRSJtt.jpg

SxylKB.jpg

That tinker is brilliant. Wish they still made it like that!

Evogrip 16 today. Yesterday I needed scissors and didn't have them:(... today I'm better prepared.:cool: Just hope I don't need a saw. ;):D

aCZg7W2.jpg

NICE!!! :cool:I have been eyeballin one of these for a while!!:eek: I guess I gotta just.. DO IT!!!:D
John

NICE!!! :cool:I have been eyeballin one of these for a while!!:eek: I guess I gotta just.. DO IT!!!:D
John
John, the three layer Evos are without doubt handy tools. Most likely you'd enjoy one should you decide to pick one up. Although to be completely open, whenever I pocket carry a three layer (cellidor) SAK, I'm always glad to get back to a two layer ASAP.
So for me today... it's back to my faithful Sportsman.
xWyYkis.jpg

Ahhhhh, just right. :)

Back