What SAK are ya totin' today?

4-E86-BC7-F-C405-461-B-A654-B4-E3-D725-B206.jpg

ynCiaTi.jpg

An early Saturday morning wet drive for a couple hours to meet an old friend I haven't seen in years. Ricky now 70, originally from Switzerland, had only recently found out from a mutual friend that I collect SAK's. He wanted to meet today to give me the knife he was issued when he joined the Swiss Army. It's now the crown jewel of my collection. So for the rest of today I'm giving it a bit of a tidy up and lubrication.
Thanks Ricky.
SILwUaj.jpg
zxmF8th.jpg
NZKbtAO.jpg

ynCiaTi.jpg

An early Saturday morning wet drive for a couple hours to meet an old friend I haven't seen in years. Ricky now 70, originally from Switzerland, had only recently found out from a mutual friend that I collect SAK's. He wanted to meet today to give me the knife he was issued when he joined the Swiss Army. It's now the crown jewel of my collection. So for the rest of today I'm giving it a bit of a tidy up and lubrication.
Thanks Ricky.
I can't condone photographing whilst driving, but I like the picture anyway.

I used to have a similar one I cut from an AA magazine sometime during the 90s. An exciting picture - until you saw the speedo at 150 km/h and realized the car was on the wrong side of the road. The car was pulled over by the police and the camera confiscated.

Great story about the knife!

ynCiaTi.jpg

Thanks Ricky.
SILwUaj.jpg
zxmF8th.jpg
NZKbtAO.jpg

Dan, I couldn’t think of a cooler gift to receive! I think it’s great knowing who used certain guns, tools, knives, etc...and knowing there’s some history behind them.

Dan, I couldn’t think of a cooler gift to receive! I think it’s great knowing who used certain guns, tools, knives, etc...and knowing there’s some history behind them.
Yes getting an item from the original owner and knowing it's history is different from being the third or fourth owner of an item. My most prized rifle, not valuable or particularly interesting, is a 04 Winchester given to me by the original owner.

Last edited:
ynCiaTi.jpg

Thanks Ricky.
SILwUaj.jpg
zxmF8th.jpg
NZKbtAO.jpg
I am glad to see/hear of the wonderful gift from your old friend from Switzerland. Very kind of him and given to the right guy, too. I don't know about the rest of you fellows, but, at a certain time in our lives our old friends list gets pretty sparsely populated by the still living old friends ... if you live long enough.

My mother was 71 when dad passed and I would go visit her a couple of times a week, do her grocery shopping, take her to the Dr., doing errands and such. A couple of years later she would always lament that none of her old friends call her anymore. After hearing that for for a couple of months I finally said something to her, I went into the kitchen where the old black telephone hung on the north wall, picked it up and dialed "O", when the operator came on she asked if she can help me? "I am just checking to see if this telephone works, thank you for your help." Mom was a rather quiet woman, as her mother was. As I hung of the phone she asked, "who did you call?." In my somewhat sarcastic way, "I just checked to make sure your phone works. I don't want you feeling left out because your telephone isn't working. You don't need to wait for someone to call, mom, I just establish with the operator that your telephone can initiate calls, too, what will they think of next, now you can call them first?" Interestingly, she responded to my boyish charm and called an old friend she went to school with whose husband had died 15 years earlier and another friend, nearly a neighbor, whose husband had died in the 1950s. After mom's initial calls they all chatted a couple of times a week until she died eight years later. They even met for coffee every now and then.

Keep in contact with your old friends while they are still here. You never know when their last day is, or yours! You never know they may be looking for the right person to give something to, maybe an old photograph that would hold meaning to you, maybe the fishing lure in their tackle box, or maybe something their grandfather gave them as a young boy, or perhaps a Swiss Army Knife issued to them by the Swiss Army. In my book Swiss Army Knife collecting doesn't get any cooler than that! I am happy for you Dan!

I am glad to see/hear of the wonderful gift from your old friend from Switzerland. Very kind of him and given to the right guy, too. I don't know about the rest of you fellows, but, at a certain time in our lives our old friends list gets pretty sparsely populated by the still living old friends ... if you live long enough.

My mother was 71 when dad passed and I would go visit her a couple of times a week, do her grocery shopping, take her to the Dr., doing errands and such. A couple of years later she would always lament that none of her old friends call her anymore. After hearing that for for a couple of months I finally said something to her, I went into the kitchen where the old black telephone hung on the north wall, picked it up and dialed "O", when the operator came on she asked if she can help me? "I am just checking to see if this telephone works, thank you for your help." Mom was a rather quiet woman, as her mother was. As I hung of the phone she asked, "who did you call?." In my somewhat sarcastic way, "I just checked to make sure your phone works. I don't want you feeling left out because your telephone isn't working. You don't need to wait for someone to call, mom, I just establish with the operator that your telephone can initiate calls, too, what will they think of next, now you can call them first?" Interestingly, she responded to my boyish charm and called an old friend she went to school with whose husband had died 15 years earlier and another friend, nearly a neighbor, whose husband had died in the 1950s. After mom's initial calls they all chatted a couple of times a week until she died eight years later. They even met for coffee every now and then.

Keep in contact with your old friends while they are still here. You never know when their last day is, or yours! You never know they may be looking for the right person to give something to, maybe an old photograph that would hold meaning to you, maybe the fishing lure in their tackle box, or maybe something their grandfather gave them as a young boy, or perhaps a Swiss Army Knife issued to them by the Swiss Army. In my book Swiss Army Knife collecting doesn't get any cooler than that! I am happy for you Dan!
Thanks mate, I agree with you we should keep in touch with our mates.

ynCiaTi.jpg

Thanks Ricky.
SILwUaj.jpg
zxmF8th.jpg
NZKbtAO.jpg
That's LEGENDARY Dan!!! That is very cool, glad you shared your story. Things like this mean more to me the older I get and is something I appreciate. My Mom always said I have an old soul as I gravitated towards people older than me. I can sit and soak up history like a sponge:):thumbsup::cool:

sonofwilfred sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
ynCiaTi.jpg

Thanks Ricky.
SILwUaj.jpg
zxmF8th.jpg
NZKbtAO.jpg

sonofwilfred sonofwilfred -What a great story Dan! My thoughts are; how honored you must feel to have been given what had to be to your friend, an important and treasured keep-sake. Also, how thrilled he must be knowing his ol' navy knife is now in the care of someone who really cares. I can hardly wait to see the cleaned up version. Thanks for sharing with us, mate. -James

Last edited:
Back