What sharpener would you recommend for CRK?

I would like to purchase a comprehensive sharpening system for my Chris Reeve Knives (small and large Inkosi and Sebenza). What system is generally recommended as yielding a good end result with relatively little experience at sharpening fine knives?

Sharpmaker is a good choice. I use mine all the time. To prevent rounding of the point, I'd suggest that it you keep it in contact at the edge of the stroke and do not let it fly off the stone as is demonstrated in the "official" DVD. Also as you do the belly to spine area, slightly roll the spine towards the middle of the "V" of the rods to maintain the bevel width.
There is a bit of a learning curve with the Sharpmaker on any knife, so practice with a couple of cheapies first before moving on to the "good" stuff. It won't take long to get the hang of it.
Actually, I'd recommend you first try getting a good strop and use that to maintain the factory edge. You'll eventually need one anyway and it is a cheaper way to begin keeping your CRK sharp. That is all you should need for quite a while. Then send it in for a Spa treatment when it comes time to resharpen. There is a very good one that come pre-loaded one available through a company who I believe is not a member here - I'll send you the name on your Profile Page in a minute.
Hope that helps.
OG

The Sharpmaker is recommended by CRK and is a very affordable choice that gets good results. If you have the budget the Wicked Edge system is very good and will be easier for re-profiling

There’s a variety of guided system that will be within your budget. Any one is almost idiot proof and does a good job with a little patience.

I've only ever used a Sharpmaker on my CRKs, and it's worked great. My first Sebenza, bought brand new back in 2002, was extremely dull. The edge came so obtuse out of the box that I could press my thumb on it and run it lengthwise along the edge with no danger of cutting myself. At the time, it was my most expensive knife, and I was afraid of ruining it, so I used the medium rods on my SM to reprofile the edge bevels. Admittedly, it took a long time, but I didn't care, because I was afraid of removing too much metal at once and possibly messing it up. I eventually reprofiled the edge at 15 DPS and finished at 20 DPS. I've never owned the Spyderco Diamond rods.

I'm not saying the SM is the ideal tool to reprofile a knife, but I am saying it is indeed possible, because I did it. I also completely reprofiled the edge on an ATS-34 Benchmade Stryker that came similarly butterknife-dull. Are there faster and more efficient systems out there for that? Of course. I just don't own any of them.

All my other CRKs came sharp out of box, and have been very easy to tough up on my SM, even though CRk's edge bevels are convex.

Jim

i own several sharp makers and one WE... they are not in the same league... buy a WE if you have the bucks... you will be glad you bought the WE

I use only the Spyderco Sharpmaker for all my knives. I have used the Sharpmaker and the other vintage systems it was designed off of like the Lansky, Smith’s and Crock Sticks systems for 30+ years now. Not only do I recommend this system to anyone that asked, but it’s recommended by Chris Reeve also.

Here is a Sharpmaker video I did awhile back that many have found very useful. In this video, I go over sharpening the Sebenza. Enjoy...!

I don’t get all the Spyderco sharpmaker recommendations.

Sharpmaker is essentially a microbevel system imho and if the total edge angle is over 40 degrees you’re out of luck. CRKs come convex edged from CRK so the sharpmaker is doubly only a microbevel system on them.

Sharpmaker is great for touch ups but even with the diamond rods I find it ineffective when using the 30 and 40 degree settings to reprofile an edge.

That said since the sharpmaker was the first sharpener I bought I have got very good effect by using the sharpmaker rods freehand with rod in one hand and knife in other.

There are fixed angle systems like KME, Edge Pro and Wicked Edge which give one of the nicest edges around once you learn to use them. However for the same price (or less than some of these) you can get Paper Wheels sharpeners like Razor Sharp Paper Wheels. The Paper wheels are even ideal for a convex edge like CRK has.

Good luck man!

Has anyone used the Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System? I'm thinking of buying it and I'm not a skilled sharpener.

Never used one except at Cabelas. They look like something you need to be careful with, power sharpeners can f-up a blade pretty quick. Practice on a cheap knife first. I use the Sharpmaker, but also have the diamond hones.

I'm using sharpmaker and wicked edge system. Initially, I bought the sharpmaker. great results can be had with this system but its limited to 15 & 20 dps only. Unfortunately, I do have some knives that have uneven bevels on them, so I invested in the Wicked edge system, and I am glad that I did. It is much more versatile and provides exceptional results. Furthermore, there are alot of tutorials in YT to help users to be confident in using the system. There is also a users' forum that have alot of information etc that does help the users too. Reprofiling is much much easier with this system. It is quite costly though but IMHO, its justified when you see the end results. With this system, I can control how much material I want to remove and also the ability to set the blade the same way as previous for touching up etc. There are other sharpening systems of which I am unfamiliar. Do look out for these and get the right system for your needs.

Has anyone used the Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System? I'm thinking of buying it and I'm not a skilled sharpener.

I have a WS Ken Onion. I like a convex edge on workers. IMO there is quite a learning curve! I’ve gotten petty good with it, but still don’t have the confidence to use it with my CRKs.

My biggest challenge is keeping the shoulders of the bevel even from side to side using the blade guide—the belt travels up against one edge and down against the opposing edge. There’s a tendency to allow the blade to sink deeper on the down side, broadening the shoulder.

I use the guide mostly for reference now, and try to sharpen by feel, so to speak. Nevertheless, it’s really easy to let that down side go too deep (at least in my hands).

I think the WSKO with the blade grinding attachment is probably a slick setup, but the total cost would be cose to a KME deluxe kit (which I bought a while back).

I’ve used free hand, SM, WE and others.. if u dun mind the price WE gives excellent edge and consistency. The evenly polished mirror edge is awesome to look at too ;)
However nothing beats the satisfaction of free hand sharpening.

Reactions: 353
I have a Sharpmaker and a Lansky Master's Edge sharpener (like the Sharpmaker, but with three angles instead of two and round sharpening rods) I personally like the Lansky for CRKs (and my other knives). I always found the Sharpmaker angles only hit the shoulder of the edge and not the apex unless I tilted the knife to the side, which kind of defeats the purpose of a guided sharpener IMO. Plus I've always found rounded sharpening rods easier to work with. :)

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker that I use for light sharpening or touch-ups & it's worked fine for my CRKs. For heavier sharpening jobs I have a Ken Onion WS with a blade grinder attachment, but I only use it on low speed & with fine grit belts.

This Sharpmaker is great, and recommended by CRK, but it's for maintaing a sharp knife. If you let it go dull, you'll have a hell of a time getting it sharp again with the Sharpmaker.

Back