What Survival Bag do you use?

I am looking for some ideas for a back pack or survival bag to take out in the wild. I wanted to see what you fellas were using. I would also like to see some of the contents. I have a Bug Out Bag already prepped, but I need a new field backpack. I was thinking of a used Military MOLLE pack.I would like to see how you carry your pistols in your pack also.

This is what I am working with so as you can see I need an upgrade.

Backpack
backpack.jpg

BOB
BOB.jpg

I use a CamelBak HAWG as my BOB 72 hour bag.

I have been looking for a smaller pack, to use primarily as a day bag for hunting. I found a new CamelBak MULE on eBay for $31 and change. I'll be trying it out tomorrow, to see if I have selected the right gear and supplies for a day long still hunt. I added a small molle pouch to increase the capacity.
I like the 100 oz hydration bladder, and it has room enough for my lunch, snacks, TP and a hand towel, binoculars, GPS, compass, maps, knives, extra ammo for my .30/06, fire starting kit, SilNylon tarp and kit, book, camera, paper and pencil, FAK and flashlights.
MULE.jpg

Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger. Awesome. :cool:

Bags are personal. Depends on how long you are wanting to stay out, and how much gear you carry.

For me,

EDC/woodsbumming- Kodiak

Overnighter to 2day- Snugpak Sleeka 35

Multiday- Im leaning to the Karrimor Sabre 75. Currently I use both my other packs.

Just a maxpedition jumbo versipack most of the time for me. Plenty of room for all my essentials. Have a large surplus frame pack for odd occasions I will be out longer than the weekend without a vehicle nearby.

I've got bags (packs) sized from 5.5 to 60 liters- they all get used, depends on when, where and what I'm doing on which one gets chosen

they're all survival bags in the sense they are intended to carry enough supplies/equipment to keep me safe when in the backcountry

Someone here just put me onto this one several weeks back and I have just started using it. Had it out today with just a bunch of stuff in it to see how it handled some weight. For being a lumbar pack without a belt, it snuggles into the small of your back nicely, is built very well and seems very durable. I don't have a lot to report on it so far, other than I love it and hope it continues to impress. I got lucky and got an '08 version for 1/2 price. They are pricey otherwise, but I have had a terrible time finding just the right bag, so all I have lost in reselling those that didn't work could have been better invested in one of these. This is a Kifaru Scout.

Scout01.jpg

What kinda pack are we talking here? For a larger pack I have a Zulu (Gen 1) and for lite stuff I've got a Tailgunner 1. If you want an oversized man-purse you can do a lot with a Claymore Malice G2. I'd like to get a Scout like Jeff there has (but in CB.) As was said Kifaru bags are pricey, but if you can figure out what you really need size wise, they are a well made investment.

God bless,
Adam

PS: Help me narrow down what we're about here and I'll post you up some pics when I get the opportunity.

Scout is a nice pack :), personally I'd spring for the hipbelt- lumbar packs (especially bigger ones) ride better w/ both straps and waist belt in my experience

Someone here just put me onto this one several weeks back and I have just started using it. Had it out today with just a bunch of stuff in it to see how it handled some weight. For being a lumbar pack without a belt, it snuggles into the small of your back nicely, is built very well and seems very durable. I don't have a lot to report on it so far, other than I love it and hope it continues to impress. I got lucky and got an '08 version for 1/2 price. They are pricey otherwise, but I have had a terrible time finding just the right bag, so all I have lost in reselling those that didn't work could have been better invested in one of these. This is a Kifaru Scout.
Jeff, looks like that scout has been modded like i did mine per Mel Terkla's instructions. It looks like your straps attach midway up the pack where as normally they attach at the bottom. Having it like you do makes it ride better when you are not using the omni belt. The scout pulls away from the body when you leave it standard without using the belt.

What pouch is that? I'm looking for something similar in foliage green. Thanks!

Looks like a 100 round SAW pouch.

OP: take a piece of advice that the foks who are older and fartier than I like to pass around:

Figure out what you really need for the activities you want, get the gear together, then go bag shopping.

BTW, I'll throw in with the Kifaru guys. They're great packs. But at that price, you really do need to know pretty well what size you need for your gear.

I'm really liking my Frost River Nessmuk pack. The main compartment is 1280 ci then it has side pockets. I had trouble with my Kifaru stuff in the winter trying to get the omni belt to cinch down correctly over my bulky Filson dbl mack cruiser. The Frost River rides great without a waistbelt so it seems the way to go for me plus i can't imagine it not being as bombproof as Kifaru:eek: Canvas and leather is some tough stuff!

I have noticed i have two sets of gear. A modern set with a busse mofo, vec hawk and kifaru pack and a traditional set with Lamey bowie, ATC Roger's Rangers hawk and the Frost River pack. Hard to say which i like better.

I carry my pistol/revolver on my belt along with a med. fixed blade and extra ammo. I have really gotten into using vest(s) to carry alot of smaller items like my rangefinder, flashlight, etc. For the woods or hunt I carry a small pack with what I will need for the day; lunch, extra layer of clothes, rope, thermos, and a small tarp. I find that the vest keeps things handier w/o having to take the pack off everytime I want or need something.

A dayhike I would go with two different ones depends on my moods I guess. One is my camalbak mule in warmer weather. The other is my LLbean canvas colonial in cooler weather. I do use the the LLbean for traveling, overnighters, carry on luggage, and basic bumming in the woods day. I'm sure I could push it for A couple of more days since this pack has a decent amount of room.
As for 3 days or more I have two medium size Alice packs. One is for my BOB and one is for play.

I've got this one recently.
2010.11.15.R0022526.JPG

TNF Spire 32 backpack. lightweight, simple, strong and comfortable.

Primary, this is not a survival pack. I've got it for my favorite regular outdoor activities.
But I'm pretty sure this pack will do a great job for emergency situations.

Plus one for Kifaru! I have a scout with waist belt, and a navigator. Both excellent packs.

I've got this one recently.
2010.11.15.R0022526.JPG

TNF Spire 32 backpack. lightweight, simple, strong and comfortable.

Primary, this is not a survival pack. I've got it for my favorite regular outdoor activities.
But I'm pretty sure this pack will do a great job for emergency situations.

That is a good piece of kit you have there.

Back