What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Nice abilene's today gents! :thumbup:

Today will be my one and only carry of this knife in Stock form. It's taking a spa-cation to see the "badd" guy ;)

Just got this little Case in and boy... it has some ugly scales lol. I soaked it in tea for a couple of hours and that helped mellow it a bit but I think this is a great excuse to try dyeing the bone. Gonna grab some dye this evening and give it a shot but it'll get some pocket time for now.

Before tea:

2WWZHf1.jpg

After tea soak:

mNN2cvW.jpg

Just got this little Case in and boy... it has some ugly scales lol. I soaked it in tea for a couple of hours and that helped mellow it a bit but I think this is a great excuse to try dyeing the bone. Gonna grab some dye this evening and give it a shot but it'll get some pocket time for now.

Is that the Salmon Bone? It's nice to see a photo of those covers out in the wild. Your tea soak is an improvement I would say.

How do you like the 63090 pattern? I'm a big fan myself.

MvJuRTU.jpg

Aye, I have a small collection of traditional European knives, and I noticed there'd been a few threads on them recently. I'm off to Lisbon next year and came across these by accident whilst searching for traditional Portugese pocket knives.
2.5 inch slipjoint blade, 440 steel, very dark coloured cowhorn scales, brass liners and bail and a good solid pull on the blade but it's certainly no nail breaker. Some very slight imperfections in fnf but such things don't bother me. 28.64 Euros delivered from Portugal, and it arrived in 4 days. Overall a good solid little knife, especially for the price. Sorry I'd tale more pics but it's as black as pitch here and my cameras barely picking anything out.

Thank you so much for the prompt & informative reply.
It really is refreshing to see some fellow members casting light on some lesser known cutlery gems from out side of the pond. :thumbup:

I hope your new Portuguese companion serves you well.

Gev As you asked.....:D Curious that the shield is on the other side, suppose it was intentional?:confused:

IMG_2995.jpg

Donn Really like the look of those knives from Portugal in horn, I need one too!

Thanks, Will

Is that the Salmon Bone? It's nice to see a photo of those covers out in the wild. Your tea soak is an improvement I would say.

How do you like the 63090 pattern? I'm a big fan myself.

Yes it's the Salmon bone. I actually like the darker coral color but the white areas out by bolster don't really do it for me. The tea really helped but I think I want to try and get it a smidge darker overall. I like the pattern a lot, although the closing action is pretty sluggish on the spey and main clip. I'm going to flush the joints again and see if I can coax a little more pep out of its step.

Joelsm that is a great knife! Love the jigging. :thumbup:

More often than not this is my daily carry but usually with a 73 instead of the 81. A shameless plug for a family member as well. :D

Great knife Brett; I remember reading a while back that you lost that one--glad it's back in your hands.

I love this knife! Reminds me of my grandfather!

Soooo many great knives, wish I could comment on them all!! I love this thread!

Thats a fine thing to say, Mitch. I hope your grandfathers soul is smiling!

^^ Aye, that is a lovely knife and beautiful composition. Gev is a true artist.

:eek: May the wind be at your back, the mountains rise up to meet you, the winds carry your destiny to dance with the stars, and laughter fall upon your heart:D

Gev As you asked.....:D Curious that the shield is on the other side, suppose it was intentional?:confused:

IMG_2995.jpg

Donn Really like the look of those knives from Portugal in horn, I need one too!

Thanks, Will

Awesome piece....wow!! The most beautiful one I've seem. I imagine so it shows in the sheath when carried:confused:

Last edited:
Just received this form a deal in the exchange and took it out on todays hike. Awesome little knife!

Canal Street stockman in 440C and sunset bone:
2015-07-25%2016.40.49_zps5uz8p0rs.jpg

I'm heading out to the hills of the English Peak District tomorrow, close to the Yorkshire-Derbyshire border, and then off to one of my favourite Derbyshire pubs for a late lunch. Going to have these three with me ;) Have a great Sunday everyone :thumbup:

:eek: May the wind be at your back, the mountains rise up to meet you, the winds carry your destiny to dance with the stars, and laughter fall upon your heart:D

I'm heading out to the hills of the English Peak District tomorrow, close to the Yorkshire-Derbyshire border, and then off to one of my favourite Derbyshire pubs for a late lunch. Going to have these three with me ;) Have a great Sunday everyone :thumbup:

Hope the weather picks up for you old bean. Have a grand day out. :thumbup:

Just had this Rough Rider Sowbelly Diamond Jim model, along, riding in the watch pocket, quite handy, mostly boxes today and cutting some labels, that sheepsfoot is keen for that ;)

RR_Sowbelly.jpg~original

G2

Nice looking stockman, Gary! Or should I say sharp. :thumbup:

I hope you have a good Sunday, Jack! With those knives you should. :)

Back