What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

CdIjUyD.jpg

Great pic ! That is a beautiful jack.

Do it! Look for the "shadow bands." https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/exploring-shadow-bands
It will only be at about 75% here, but I'll go outside and look. I don't trust those 'eclipse viewing glasses', so I'm going to punch a little hole in a piece of cardboard to do a pinhole projection on a piece of paper.

I think I have a knife that will help with that. :)View attachment 753048

I rechecked my figures, looks like we will get full totality after all (for about 2 min 40 sec).

Yes, it's a bottle opener with pry tip/screwdriver. The Topper is the 4th folder from the Trestle Pine series. The TPs are a brand made exclusively by Queen Cutlery for Greg Holmes from TSA Knife Shop (similar to the Northwoods knives made by GEC for KSF). The main idea behind the brand is to combine traditional patterns with premium stainless steel to create knives that are meant to be used and abused. The TP Superior has been the knife I have probably carried the most over the past two years!
Thanks Frank. I have been moving in exactly the same way-traditional looks with modern steels. I'll definitely have a look.

Last edited:
I hope everyone has a pleasant weekend. I'm going to be carrying this Frontier shadow serpentine (skillfully modified by HeathH) that I received in mrknife's ongoing giveaway-passaround.

View attachment 751946

FYI: We are up to round 11, and still taking entries. ;)
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/round-11-of-mrknifes-everlasting-gawstopper.1513229/

Congrats on choosing that useful-looking Frontier from the "prize box", Rachel, and thanks for keeping the GAW rolling! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Carrying this PAL Jack today

1O4w4IWh.jpg
What a Pal, Steve!! Great jigging! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Another amazing amarillo, oldtymer! :cool::thumbsup:

Outstanding, old-fashioned stag, ISKski!! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (Forgive my ignorance, but what does "DHIII" mean?? :confused:)

My UK-friendly carry for the next week.

ZcA931W.jpg
Inspired photo, Barrett! :cool::thumbsup: Glad your transcontinental, transatlantic flight was a success, and hope you have a splendid time in the UK. I assume this trip isn't really eclipse-related. ;)

Since the heat and humidity started to sky rocket down here, I stopped carrying carbon blades to work. Today is an easy half-day in the field, so for the first time in a couple of months, my TC14 and Peanut are reunited (and it feels so good).

IMG_20170819_142243_3.jpg
Superb summer selection, Shawn! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm impressed that you trust your knives to take on that cable!! :eek::D (I haven't thought of Peaches and Herb for decades. :cool:)

Case Ocean Blue Half Whittler with a trusty Missouri Meerschaum Great Dane Spool.

DSC0175.jpg
That half-whittler is a full-winner, picturerock; the threaded bolsters and bright blue are beautiful!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Moving a daughter again. Work is done, just had a great meal and some brew on the river in Milwaukee's 3rd Ward. This old Utica spear workhorse filled the bill today.
View attachment 752418
That Utica has aged well, Tom! :thumbsup::cool:

6dot (1974) Case clip point Barlow and my right leg.:D

ahQSBFP.jpg
Both Barlow and leg are classics, Randy! :D:thumbsup:

My wife and I are the Master and Mistress of Ceremony for my sister's wedding this weekend. Trying to infuse some additional caffeine today...View attachment 752525
What a pretty knife! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope everyone enjoyed the wedding. :)

FBC, that sweet knife is just icing on the (cup)cake!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

GT my friend I'm sorry your holiday is over but sure hope you had a great time. I remember you said your wife was delayed a day to take your dog to the vet, nothing serious I hope.
Thanks, Randy. :) I suppose "serious" is relative. The dog had to have an eye removed a year ago, and has developed a cataract and now glaucoma in the other eye. The vet trip was to check that new meds had relieved a spike in eye pressure, and that was successful. But the poor dog is totally blind now, and it breaks my heart to see her wandering around running into stuff. :(

...I know the feeling GT, I've only been away for a few days, but still got back to a pile of 'stuff'! :rolleyes: Hope you had a great vacation, and that's an excellent shot of your Douk. Not sure what I'm going to be carrying today, but here's a couple of pics of knives I had with me hiking in the English Peak District. Hope everyone has a great Sunday :) :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed your Sheffield days, Jack, and I hope you get caught up soon. Your hyper-feathered buffalo lambsfoot and the Abbydale jack make an attractive couple! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: My Douk-Douk pic was probably inspired by all of your marvelous "knife-and-water" photos! ;)

Settled on these two for today :)

Another marvelous pair you've chosen, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: What is the knife resting on in the top photo? It reminds me of a bale of hay, but I don't recognize all of the paired plastic (?) cords spaced quite closely.

I'm going to carry uglybetty again today.
EDJs08U.jpg
Mark, remember the old Ray Stevens song "Every Knife Is Beautiful"!! ;):cool::thumbsup:

A couple of Keen Kutters today.

16xdpuG.jpg

- Stuart
Those venerable KKs are knockouts, Stuart!! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I especially like the one on the right; is that stag, or just a phenomenal substitute??

Pretty pleased with this $13 Hibbard Spencer Bartlett ebay grab. She cleaned up real nice!

35881466933_6039806c22_b.jpg
Marvelous HSB, Jeff!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: How old is it?

Cool pic, jhoffman!! :cool::thumbsup::D I'm plagued by unintentional reflections in my photos, but I like the way you "embraced the reflections"!

Handsome knife and high-class photo, donn! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Today's carry

Harry
Those are heavenly, Harry!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Your Viper lying down with the ram reminds me of the lion lying down with the lamb!! ;)

Thank you, GT, and welcome home!
Today, I'm carrying a different Ettrick (Catonsville Pocket & Pen Knife Co.) and the Frontier shadow.

View attachment 752859
Thanks, Rachel. :) Another curvaceous Ettrick! :thumbsup::cool: I'd not heard of Catonsville PPKC before; interesting website (based on first impressions of a very small sample of it).

GT, your SAK is surely standing tall; le Douk-Douk however is doing quite the head-stand.:D
Tom's choice of knife today is... a Tom's Choice!:p
View attachment 752901
Champion knife choice, Tom! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the comments on my photos. :) I thought about rotating the D-D shot so the water was at the top, but it was quite disorienting to me! :eek::rolleyes:

Heading out of town for the day 'early doors' tomorrow, with my mate and his three kids. Unlikely I'll have time to post in the morning, and I will, no doubt, be exhausted on my return! :eek: Going to be carrying these three :thumbsup:

Unity Lambsfoot

Ulster Scout

Squirrel
Jack, I hope your day is a felicitous as your knife trio!! :thumbsup::cool::D

This one will help me in the kitchen this week (thanks, Dee):
pxelv55.jpg

- GT

Way to go, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: I appreciate your thoughtfulness and generosity, as evidenced (most recently) by that fine gift to Harry! I hope you get caught up at work soon! :thumbsup:

You're right, Ron, the Pony Jack is flawless!! :thumbsup::cool:

Gary Thanks for the assumption but Harry Old Engineer Old Engineer actually acquired his South Paw 73 in a trade with yours truly. He traded me an old worn out 77 Northfield African Blackwood Single Clip Barlow for that 73! :rolleyes:;) The Pony Jacks are dandy little Jack Knives. I was able to acquire the 3 remaining handle variations while at the Rendezvous. That giving me the complete set of Clip Blade variations that were produced to date. :D

Bob my friend that Peach Seed is coming along nicely. It must be seeing a lot of pocket time. :D

Today I am totin' a souvenir from my recent trip to the Rendezvous. On Wednesday morning Pam and I decided to to a Case pilgrimage, so we drove up to Bradford. It is a very scenic drive from Titusville and only took around and hour or so. We went to the Case/Zippo company store. We took a leisurely look through the museum and of course the store! I ended up with a coffee mug and this Case Bose Coffin Jack. Then we ate lunch at the Beefeaters restaurant, which is housed in a very beautiful building historic library. All in all a very nice day trip that I recommend to anyone that makes the trip to Titusville. On our return home we made a quick detour through the small township of Tidioute PA. Obviously a significant name for Great Eastern Cutlery lovers. :D

36712450255_b072fcf665_b.jpg

35877781604_f55269bf10_b.jpg

Gary Thanks for the assumption but Harry Old Engineer Old Engineer actually acquired his South Paw 73 in a trade with yours truly. He traded me an old worn out 77 Northfield African Blackwood Single Clip Barlow for that 73! :rolleyes:;) The Pony Jacks are dandy little Jack Knives. I was able to acquire the 3 remaining handle variations while at the Rendezvous. That giving me the complete set of Clip Blade variations that were produced to date. :D

Bob my friend that Peach Seed is coming along nicely. It must be seeing a lot of pocket time. :D

Today I am totin' a souvenir from my recent trip to the Rendezvous. On Wednesday morning Pam and I decided to to a Case pilgrimage, so we drove up to Bradford. It is a very scenic drive from Titusville and only took around and hour or so. We went to the Case/Zippo company store. We took a leisurely look through the museum and of course the store! I ended up with a coffee mug and this Case Bose Coffin Jack. Then we ate lunch at the Beefeaters restaurant, which is housed in a very beautiful building historic library. All in all a very nice day trip that I recommend to anyone that makes the trip to Titusville. On our return home we made a quick detour through the small township of Tidioute PA. Obviously a significant name for Great Eastern Cutlery lovers. :D

36712450255_b072fcf665_b.jpg

35877781604_f55269bf10_b.jpg
I was really happy to trade that Old and Worn Out 77 Barlow to you for the Left Handed 73 too my friend . Anything to make you happy . LOL

Nice Coffin Jack, Ron! That's a dandy souvenir! My wife and I stopped at the Case/Zippo museum/store on our way back from a wedding near Pittsburgh last year. It was my first time there and I hope not my last. A very worthwhile stop.

Hope you all get a peek at the eclipse today. We're going to try.

My hearty breakfast was helped along today by my Lloyd Shadow Trapper.
62w3rwc.jpg

Glad you enjoyed your Sheffield days, Jack, and I hope you get caught up soon. Your hyper-feathered buffalo lambsfoot and the Abbydale jack make an attractive couple! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: My Douk-Douk pic was probably inspired by all of your marvelous "knife-and-water" photos! ;)

Another marvelous pair you've chosen, Jack! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: What is the knife resting on in the top photo? It reminds me of a bale of hay, but I don't recognize all of the paired plastic (?) cords spaced quite closely.

Jack, I hope your day is a felicitous as your knife trio!! :thumbsup::cool::D

This one will help me in the kitchen this week (thanks, Dee):
pxelv55.jpg

Thanks for all your kind words my friend :) Yes, that's a hay-bale. Good day today, but my mates 3 kids have worn me out! :eek: That's a beautiful knife to have in the kitchen :) :thumbsup:

Superb souvenir Ron, the Coffin Jack is a classic pattern :) :thumbsup:

62w3rwc.jpg

Great stuff Gary, I love to see your lovely Lloyd, and that looks like a hearty breakfast :) I hope you all get a glimpse of the eclipse too. I was chuckling to myself that, with an impending solar eclipse for most of our posters, the main chatter in the Lounge is about cheese! :D :thumbsup:

I was really happy to trade that Old and Worn Out 77 Barlow to you for the Left Handed 73 too my friend . Anything to make you happy . LOL

Harry my friend the thing that made Pam and I both happy were getting to meet and spend time with you and Nancy! :) The knives are nice but good friends, well you know what I mean! ;)

Nice Coffin Jack, Ron! That's a dandy souvenir! My wife and I stopped at the Case/Zippo museum/store on our way back from a wedding near Pittsburgh last year. It was my first time there and I hope not my last. A very worthwhile stop.

62w3rwc.jpg

Thanks Gary! I certainly plan to visit again next time. I didn't realize it is as close to Titusville as it actually is! That is a great looking breakfast and it's always a pleasure to see that beautiful Lloyd! Don't forget them special glasses when you look up!! :eek:

Superb souvenir Ron, the Coffin Jack is a classic pattern :) :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack a classic indeed! :)

Back