What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Beautiful drop point Parker, Cambertree. Our deer season starts next month and sharpening is on my list.
Thanks Duckdog.:)

I see you're up in Northern Virginia, so I'm guessing that means you'll be after whitetail?

Good luck out there! I haven't dared to look at how mangled the Huntin' with Traditional Knives thread is, as a result of that Photobucket outrage, but I guess it's nearly time to resurrect it again.

I've got a few posts and pics of hunts in there, I should start repairing when I have a spare minute.

C'mon. queenie. let's shake it. Go, go, go little queenie!

A bunch of little Queenies for the weekend (I carried a Model 3 and a 55, gently - used a SAK for "real" cutting). Clockwise from top right: two Model 55's in Rogers bone (1976, supposedly only 200 produced?); three Model 5 Senator pens (the open one is 1955, the others 1961-1971); a Model 35 small serpentine (1961-1971); a Model 14 Peanut (1958-1960); and a Model 3 sleeveboard in what I think is burnt orange Winterbottom bone (?) from 1958-1960. The 3 and the 55's are the largest at 3.25 inches.

TMGw0FQ.jpg

- Stuart

Beautiful mood you captured there, Gev - I love that wistful, nostalgic, magic hour light - it complements that Barlow perfectly.

Same here, HST.:thumbsup: Even when I carry and post pics of different knives, I'll still always have one of my favourite users on me. That small group of three or four stalwarts rarely changes, but I guess posting pics of the same knives all the time would get boring for you all! My Pioneer's definitely a core permanent.

smWbGrH.jpg

Hey Neal! How's things, my friend?:) I'm glad to see that Tom did his usual superb work, regrinding your Queen.:cool: I remember back when we were chatting about that, before you sent it off. How do you like it, compared to how it was? I've thinned out the blades, behind the edge on my Queens as well - they don't look as nice as that, but boy are they fantastic cutters! You've inspired me to carry my beat up No. 9 Stockman tomorrow, which is another core favourite of mine.:thumbsup:

Ha ha, I guess I'm showing my age GT: I think 'O.G.' was a street term, first popularised in Ice T's 1991 album, Original Gangster, which was very popular here in Melbourne. The kids these days seem to use it much more loosely, as a general term of approval for someone who epitomises a particular ideal "behavior, looks, or both, as well as a connection to the past or being older: commonly used as a sign of respect." (From that fount of authoritative definitions, Wikipedia.:D) As in:'That GT's the OG of the BF EDC thread!':D:p

Ah, I knew you had a bit of German, and I was hoping you might be able to read some of that manual. Yes, that seems to be how it was used. I think Swissbianco said, that when he did his Swiss Army service, the SAK Soldier was supposed to be carried in the left breast pocket. Apparently it fell out of use as an angle guide, when modular grenade launcher attachments were phased in. But, I guess what we can take from this, is an Alox SAK makes a decent plumb bob, in addition to all its other virtues!:)

Well, I wasn't strictly totin' this today, but I decided to bring it out for a bit of a sharpen, as we get near the end of another years deer hunting in which it's served well.

B6HayKK.jpg
Thank you kindly for the fine compliment ! I must say your photographs are emotive indeed ! I like the term.... " core permanent" and most definitely have a few. The Adam Parker is magnificent..........wow :eek:

IMG_1782.JPG Today I'm carrying my, new to me, Schrade U.S.A., 8OT. I picked this up yesterday, at a gun show, for $8.00! This morning I cleaned it up a little, sharpened all 3 blades, and applied a little oil. The blades are all snappy, and without any wobble. Finds like these are what keep me going!

Cambertree Cambertree , whitetails it is (though am heading to S. Dakota for pheasants in mid-October). OK, back to knives.
- Stuart

Sounds like a great trip to look forward to, Stuart. If you have time, it'd be great to see a few pics in the Huntin' thread, when you get back.

Thank you kindly for the fine compliment ! I must say your photographs are emotive indeed ! I like the term.... " core permanent" and most definitely have a few. The Adam Parker is magnificent..........wow :eek:

Thanks very much, Gev - I appreciate the compliment, my friend.

I liked Carl J jackknife 's 'core' knife concept when I read about it, I just realised that I practised a slightly different version of it, with a handful of perennials I always carry one of, and occasionally other knives added in to augment different task needs, or just for variety and a bit of spice.

Nice Parker, Chin @Cambertree!
Cheers Ron @Half/Stop!
Hope you all have a safe and quiet Sunday.
It's supposed to hit 90 degrees F here today. I'll be moving quickly from the air conditioned car to the air conditioned house. I've got these along in case I need them, or get side tracked.
8pbBVSd.jpg

Cheers Gary. Wow, that's a pretty great toolbox of blades to choose from. And that Russell Peanut is just about the nicest one I've seen. And VG10 blades too - outstanding. That really holds its head up in any company!

Stay :cool:, my friend!

Back