What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I had a lovely shot of these three together on a piece of walnut, but the file size was too big to load, and when I tried to crop on my phone, it started cutting out parts of the knives. Frustrating. Finally get a decent shot, and I can't post it:D oh well.
Thanks, Neal
Neal, have you tried the Photo & Image Resizer app? Load on your phone, then use it to reduce your image file size last thing before uploading. It's a snap. I use it so the time.

GT @5K Qs, it is wire unique. After receiving it I asked Todd to confirm its authenticity since it didn't have it's number inscribed inside as is his custom. Turns out he does not do that on linerless knives, of which he makes few. It fairly melts into your pocket. Yet despite its lack of heft it cuts quite nicely. Closest I've seen are Buck's Bucklite knives, also tough as nails.

Memorable micarta, Dee! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: What's the background??

Terrific twosome, Dee! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll bet I can guess what day of the week it is. ;)

This was my second week of a new category added to my weekly carries: my K.N.I.F.E. (Knife's New - I'm Feeling Exuberant) Knife for this week is a navy blue bone SS Case mini copperhead:
dPFMInU.jpg

In the kitchen this week (stop me if you've heard this before :rolleyes:), I've been using an Okapi Sable and a Case yeller CV pen knife:
o2yxMaF.jpg

HnSxB9R.jpg

Thanks Gary!
It's a printed background.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. :D

Another week of exemplary knives. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

so many nice knives here, goodness. That one is a lovely barehead 101, nice picture too.
14, 15? And what kinda scales you have on that knife? They look so purple.

Thank you!
GEC #14 (Smooth Ivory Bone..... Rit Dyed - Purple).

Totin this 77 Wharncliffe Barlow that I got from @Old Engineer! A little trading was taking place on the Porch at Great Eastern! :D
36476715184_11fe1ab70e_b_d.jpg

Hooooo boy, that saw cut bone is something else, Ron! :D

Morning campers :thumbsup: Piano keys in my pockets today ;)

Piano keys seem to be in play today!;) Y'all have a nice one! :D
36486029094_1ee204855f_b.jpg

♫ ...together in perfect harmony! ♫

Great photo, Barrett; sweet ebony on your Stallion! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
You shoot sporting clays? That's an important plot device in Stephen Hunter's Black Light, another Swagger novel set mostly in Arkansas (but starts in Arizona).

Thanks, GT! I love shooting sporting clays; I think it's more fun than regular skeet or trap. It's like golf, but with a shotgun. :D (That's also another interesting coincidence with Hunter's character, although I can assure you that I'm not a retired Marine sniper, and I wasn't even alive during the Vietnam War!)

I have a feeling you're making quite a few folks envious with that knife, Jack, myself included! That #85 forum knife really is something! :thumbsup:

09-20-17 - Bret Dowell Native in Barbed Wire Micarta + a Reese Bose Gent no.9
tumblr_owo6xp2yjo1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

That Reese Bose Gent is a stunning knife, Tim! (Also wanted to say that I miss seeing your great photos around here as much as we used to. Good to see you!) :thumbsup:

Love the vibrant yellow on that one!

Alright, I'm going to use this as an example and vent here for a second here. @Nature Boy and Travman Travman , I know I had something complimentary to say about both of your photos, but this is all I see while I'm composing this post...

MWj4RZN.png

...and, once it's posted, all you see quoted is a link that says "View Attachment xxxxxx." This is one of my biggest complaints about the new forum software, particularly when it comes to this thread. On the one hand, it's annoying when you're trying to multi-quote and comment on several posts, because I can't for the life of me remember what those two posts from several pages back contained. Then, when you're reading other folks' comments on quoted posts, you can't see what is is that they're actually commenting on without clicking a link and opening an entirely different window (and in this thread, that can mean a lot of clicking!). I appreciate that there's now an easy way to upload photos without having to use a third-party hosting site, I just wish that those photos would actually show up as photos when quoted! Ok, I'm done venting. :confused:

(Edited to add: I went back and refreshed my memory. @Nature Boy, I was going to quote your photo along with Randy's below and comment on them together. Travman Travman , nice shot of your #25! How do you like the Burlap Micarta? I have the same knife, and was pleasantly surprised by the look and texture of mine, and I like it more than I expected to!)

That's a classic looking knife! Very nice!

I know I saw this one in the Guardians thread, Jack, though I can't remember if I actually commented there, but let me say here: HOLY COW!! That's one fine looking knife, my friend! :eek: :cool: :D

Love that smooth bone, Randy! I have the same bone on a #14 TC Barlow, but I'd much rather have it on one of those #77's. (I like the #14 alright, and I have a few of them, but they're just a bit small and never seem to find their way into my pocket.)

Scruff, I don't know exactly how closely related a "pyclet" is to a regular ol' crumpet -- I wouldn't know they were related at all if @Jack Black had once referred to the crumpet in the photo below, posted last month when we were visiting England, as a "pikelet" -- but I can tell you that I prefer mine with just butter, and I would definitely save the 50p and skip the Marmite! :D

XNCJgFf.jpg

Today I carried my Nifebrite #71 Bull Nose. It'll probably be with me tomorrow, too.

TvCoMkW.jpg

(Another of my Gardening at Night series, sort of... Am enjoying the fruits of my labor.)

11PM straight up. Enjoying a fire to myself out back.
IMG_20170923_225707362-1603x1202.jpg

A glass of Jamaican rum and an EP Carrillo la Historia at my side. Bob Dylan Days from our college station playing in the background. And my TC peachseed Barlow in my pocket.
IMG_20170923_225828170~2-1603x897.jpg

Life is pretty darn good at times.

Last edited:

Gorgeous, Tim. The prototype seems perfect! :thumbsup:

Today's carry.

Reese hit the spot on the first go ;) That jigged bone is wearing in real nice!

That Reese Bose Gent is a stunning knife, Tim! (Also wanted to say that I miss seeing your great photos around here as much as we used to. Good to see you!) :thumbsup:

Today I carried my Nifebrite #71 Bull Nose. It'll probably be with me tomorrow, too.

Thank you Barrett, I definitely miss the porch and this community, life just gets ya.
The 71 is a quintessential piece of kit, nice choice in brew too~

It was Stagurday for yesterday!

tumblr_owrtxwUONe1rzq6m9o1_1280.jpg

Travman Travman , nice shot of your #25! How do you like the Burlap Micarta? I have the same knife, and was pleasantly surprised by the look and texture of mine, and I like it more than I expected to!)
My thoughts mirror yours. I didn't expect to, but I like it a lot. I received a Northwoods burlap Micarta Little Bay before this Collector Knives #25 which I thought would be my favorite, however I was a little disappointed. I was hoping it would be more like some custom knives with Burlap Micarta that I have seen. I wanted it to have a clear finish so that you can see deep into the material and see the Burlap texture underneath. Instead it had a scuffed surface which obscured the Burlap underneath. If I wet the surface it would be more translucent and give it more depth, but it still wasn't quite as nice as burlap Micarta that we have seen elsewhere. So when the CK version of the Burlap Micarta arrived with the dark brown color I didn't know what to think. It is obviously much darker and you definitely can not see into the material so it does that have any depth. But in the end I like it much better than what was used on the Northwoods version. I like that at first glance you can't tell what it is. It looks like some kind of natural material like wood.

One of the nice things about this hobby is when an unexpected knife becomes a favorite.

Last edited:
Oh love (cover )

tell me
whisper your tales
to me
shivers
never ending moments
don't want to know how it feels without you
spend another minute passing by you
tell me
tell me your tales
I wanna believe
that we're already here

8023363868_bbfdf83935_b.jpg

Beautiful mood you captured there, Gev - I love that wistful, nostalgic, magic hour light - it complements that Barlow perfectly.

I like it when one finds tools to use over and over and over again.

View attachment 769464

Same here, HST.:thumbsup: Even when I carry and post pics of different knives, I'll still always have one of my favourite users on me. That small group of three or four stalwarts rarely changes, but I guess posting pics of the same knives all the time would get boring for you all! My Pioneer's definitely a core permanent.

smWbGrH.jpg

View attachment 769758These three for me, just about everyday. Don't think I can post the UW/Demo knife I've been carrying too. But always a fixed as well. Thanks again Vaporstang for the congress!
Thanks, Neal
View attachment 769757 View attachment 769756

Hey Neal! How's things, my friend?:) I'm glad to see that Tom did his usual superb work, regrinding your Queen.:cool: I remember back when we were chatting about that, before you sent it off. How do you like it, compared to how it was? I've thinned out the blades, behind the edge on my Queens as well - they don't look as nice as that, but boy are they fantastic cutters! You've inspired me to carry my beat up No. 9 Stockman tomorrow, which is another core favourite of mine.:thumbsup:

Well, if O.G. means Old Guy, you've got quite an accurate mental picture, Chin! :p:D (Although my gait is more "stagger" than "swagger" these days! ;))
Interesting photos of the grenade launchers. My ability to read German has all but disappeared from disuse over the past 50 years, but it looks like the "plumb bob" SAK is used to measure angle of inclination?? :confused:

Ha ha, I guess I'm showing my age GT: I think 'O.G.' was a street term, first popularised in Ice T's 1991 album, Original Gangster, which was very popular here in Melbourne. The kids these days seem to use it much more loosely, as a general term of approval for someone who epitomises a particular ideal "behavior, looks, or both, as well as a connection to the past or being older: commonly used as a sign of respect." (From that fount of authoritative definitions, Wikipedia.:D) As in:'That GT's the OG of the BF EDC thread!':D:p

Ah, I knew you had a bit of German, and I was hoping you might be able to read some of that manual. Yes, that seems to be how it was used. I think Swissbianco said, that when he did his Swiss Army service, the SAK Soldier was supposed to be carried in the left breast pocket. Apparently it fell out of use as an angle guide, when modular grenade launcher attachments were phased in. But, I guess what we can take from this, is an Alox SAK makes a decent plumb bob, in addition to all its other virtues!:)

Well, I wasn't strictly totin' this today, but I decided to bring it out for a bit of a sharpen, as we get near the end of another years deer hunting in which it's served well.

B6HayKK.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful mood you captured there, Gev - I love that wistful, nostalgic, magic hour light - it complements that Barlow perfectly.

Same here, HST.:thumbsup: Even when I carry and post pics of different knives, I'll still always have one of my favourite users on me. That small group of three or four stalwarts rarely changes, but I guess posting pics of the same knives all the time would get boring for you all! My Pioneer's definitely a core permanent.

smWbGrH.jpg

Hey Neal! How's things, my friend?:) I'm glad to see that Tom did his usual superb work, regrinding your Queen.:cool: I remember back when we were chatting about that, before you sent it off. How do like it, compared to how it was? I've thinned out the blades, behind the edge on my Queens as well - they don't look as nice as that, but boy are they fantastic cutters! I'm going to carry my beat up No. 9 Stockman tomorrow, which is another core favourite of mine.:thumbsup:

Ha ha, I guess I'm showing my age GT: I think 'O.G.' was a street term, first popularised in Ice T's eponymous 1991 album, Original Gangster, which was very popular here in Melbourne. The kids these days seem to use it much more loosely, as a general term of approval for someone who epitomises a particular ideal "behavior, looks, or both, as well as a connection to the past or being older: commonly used as a sign of respect." (From that fount of authoritative definitions, Wikipedia.:D) As in:'That GT's the OG of the BF EDC thread!':D:p

Ah, I knew you had a bit of German, and I was hoping you might be able to read some of that manual. Yes, that seems to be how it was used. I think Swissbianco said, that when he did his Swiss Army service, the SAK Soldier was supposed to be carried in the left breast pocket. Apparently it fell out of use as an angle guide, when modular grenade launcher attachments were phased in. But, I guess what we can take from this, is an Alox SAK makes a decent plumb bob, in addition to all its other virtues!:)

Well, I wasn't strictly totin' this today, but I decided to bring it out for a bit of a sharpen, as we get near the end of another years deer hunting in which it's served well.

B6HayKK.jpg
Beautiful drop point Parker, Cambertree. Our deer season starts next month and sharpening is on my list.

Back