What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

View attachment 878029

This photo was taken yesterday evening after a hard rain while it was still overcast. The vivid, almost glowing, color in this Walnut Rogers Jigged Bone Case seems appropriate for Easter.
Those Walnut Bone's sure do have great color . They also were a great Series .
Did you find what you were looking for last night my friend .

Harry

Pulchritudinous pair, Pàdruig Pàdruig ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Interesting to see those 2 side by side; I never would have guessed that I much prefer the steel pins to the brass pins with ebony.

:cool::thumbsup::cool::)

Fabulous 77 Barlows, Harry! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: With current date on the photos - new camera??

"Stockboy" - I like the name ;) and the knife, Jeff!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Enjoy your trip, Jack! :thumbsup:;) I usually like about a dozen knives per week, so your 6 knives for 5 days isn't TOO conservative! :rolleyes::D

Superb shield, and slip, and stockman, for that matter!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

That's a sensational stockman, mykel m mykel m ; I love the low-slung blades and round bolsters! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: What are the covers? Looks like celluloid posing as ram's horn?? I really like it! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (The fungus is also an incredible addition to your photo!)

I'll second that Easter weekend wish, @HFinn ! :thumbsup::thumbsup: You're developing quite a patina on your Otter already! :cool::thumbsup:

Salubrious stag selections, r8shell! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

So, contrary to popular opinion, I'm NOT (necessarily) crazy! Thanks for the green Remington confirmation, Jer. ;)

Thanks, Ron. :) I think you and Will are the ones that got me thinking about some of the attractions of single spring knives (not to mention Case red bone), and may have created a monster! :eek::D I tend to turn up my nose at perfectly good jack knives now. :confused::rolleyes: How are you liking being a one-knife man this week?

Will, I hope you can get it adjusted to your specifications soon so you can fully enjoy it! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, mitch. :)

A knife must have its joints used but unoiled for quite a while to erase the tang stamp! :eek::(

Thanks, Stuart, to you and every one else for the pics you all post that I look forward to seeing each day! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool: I try to express my enthusiasm and gratitude in my posts. (And sometimes I try to amuse myself with little word games, or whatever, and it's "icing on the cake" if some other folks also enjoy that kind of stuff. :rolleyes:)

Two splendid knives, Stuart! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: But the German sleeveboard pen really revs my motor. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sweet Vic Rancher, Shawn! :cool::thumbsup::cool: But I gotta think you got some weird looks from folks as you took that photo! :confused::eek::p

Great to see another of your handsome vintage Barlows, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the canoe comments. :) Its condition DOES present me with a dilemma. I've always intended to use any knife I acquired, but on that canoe, as you point out, I'll lose something kind of special if I use that currently unsullied blade! But not using it violates a basic principle! :(:confused::rolleyes:

I never noticed until your fine foto how the edge is set up on those Christy knives, FBC; even I could "find the angle" on that blade! :thumbsup::rolleyes: And Hugo is an outstanding knife!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: How do I always forget what should be such a memorable knife?? :confused::eek:

That Tip Top Barlow really is! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That sounds like a wonderful trip!! :thumbsup::cool::cool: When I visited my daughter in Spain several years ago, I made her take me to knife shops in every town we visited - super souvenirs! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

:thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats, Frank! :cool::cool::thumbsup: Any idea how long your consecutive Mora carry streak is?

My Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Colonial jack (thanks, Mark):
View attachment 878138

My Big Knife of the Week is a 4 5/8" Rough Rider liner lock work knife:
dzhQVpC.jpg

My Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a Case stag peanut:
9j8eqic.jpg

- GT
Thank you GT !!! The camera will take a picture but you can not do a Playback with it . Photos will down load off of the memory card .

Harry

Thank you, GT! Honestly, my job consists of people looking at me strangely, so I'm pretty used to it by now. :D ;)

Love that Peanut!

That's a sensational stockman, mykel m mykel m ; I love the low-slung blades and round bolsters! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: What are the covers? Looks like celluloid posing as ram's horn?? I really like it! :cool::cool::thumbsup: (The fungus is also an incredible addition to your photo!)

My Watch Pocket Knife of the Week is a Colonial jack (thanks, Mark):
View attachment 878138
- GT
Thanks GT. I assume it is meant to resemble Ram's Horn, but you know what they say about assumptions.;)
K Horn=Celluloid alrighty.
Still solid so it has become part of the rotation.

Love the wee Colonial Jack BTW, I've had the same knife on my watch list quite a few times but never pulled the trigger.(yet)

Last edited:
Great to see another of your handsome vintage Barlows, Dean! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Thanks for the canoe comments. :) Its condition DOES present me with a dilemma. I've always intended to use any knife I acquired, but on that canoe, as you point out, I'll lose something kind of special if I use that currently unsullied blade! But not using it violates a basic principle! :(:confused::rolleyes:

9j8eqic.jpg

- GT

Thanks for your comment on my Barlow, Gary. As for your Canoe, sometimes we must preserve the beauty of a knife for the next generation(s). It really is something unusual.

Your Case stag peanut is another example of a great knife!

My favourite colour Dylan ;) :) :thumbsup:

I'm heading away for a few days in North Yorkshire tomorrow, so I won't be posting much until early next week. I'll try and keep in touch as best I can of course (I can just about manage to hit the 'Like' button with my phone! :D) :thumbsup: I'll be away for five days, so hoping I'm going to have enough knives with me...

View attachment 877056

View attachment 877062

View attachment 877057

View attachment 877065

View attachment 877067

View attachment 877068

If not, I can always pick up one or two new ones! ;) :D :thumbsup:

You have good taste, my friend. :D

I hope you have had safe travels and a good time away, it looks like you have very adequately prepared yourself. A very fine assortment of cutlery.

Excellent Ebony duo, Dylan! :thumbsup:

I'm still carrying this #25, but I've also had this little H20 fixed blade with me since it showed up in the mail this afternoon. I had been thinking about getting one of these for a while, but @Will Power's post in this thread this past weekend convinced me to go ahead and purchase one. (I also pulled the trigger on an Ebony #35 Churchill, which should be here tomorrow, thanks to r8shell r8shell 's recent post here, as well as Pàdruig Pàdruig 's great photos of his.)

NesYNR4.jpg

Thank you, Barrett. I appreciated your thoughts on the H20 (at least I think it was you who did a bit of a write up on it), it is a knife that has piqued my interest ever since I discovered them prior to the most recent release. I worry a bit that it might not prove to be anymore useful than a 71 or 21 but I might pull the trigger nonetheless.

I am thrilled that you have a Churchill on its way, it is such an incredible knife and has become a fast favorite, easily one of my most carried. I will look forward to reading your thoughts once you are able to experience it in hand.

I struggle with what to carry daily. I was carrying my Davison Sheepfoot, stacked micarta bolster beauty then I started carrying my Guardians lamb foot for quite awhile, because I thought it was really cool. And it was/is. But, I busted both my thumbnails. Then, I got my Lionsteel clip blade. I carried that for a week or two. It's a great user and does not show scratches, get dull or whatever.

But, then I got my Orange Camel Bone 43. Now, I have to carry this one!!!! I like the shape, the size, and the look. So, I am have now sharpened this to scary levels and will be carrying this for the foreseeable future. So, here's what I'm carrying today.

i5uZe95.jpg

Nice to see you posting again, Al. Seems like it has been quite some time. The orange 43s did not appeal to me whatsoever until I began to see the darker hued examples like yours. The "blood orange" variants are quite striking and I prefer their aesthetics over the lighter "creamsicle" versions. Looks aside, the 43 is a nice knife. I have a Tidioute and I am considering getting a Northfield before they all dry up.

That shield is crazy, awesome knife! I worked on another knife similar to that, with a big honking shield.

View attachment 877988

That is just a handsome old knife all around. Is that one you did for your own collection or for a customer? I do not think I have seen its like!

Pulchritudinous pair, Pàdruig Pàdruig ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Interesting to see those 2 side by side; I never would have guessed that I much prefer the steel pins to the brass pins with ebony.

Thank you so much, GT! I would have to agree with you, I have come to really appreciate the look of steel pins, bolsters, and liners. I like the way they age, the way they look, and the way they feel in hand.

I am continuing the Ebony theme today. Paired with a bit of spring....

bRVNS6o.jpg

same old same old, manix two main and case texas jack riding shotgun. Might be on the hunt for a new traditional now though... Missed out on an apostlep knife sale bargain on a ka-bar stockman and old keen kutter jack for 40 bucks.... Well thats what I get for not checking my email this morning. -_-
PS if the person that bought those knives happens to read this, I may be willing to take them off of you if you decide you don't want them :rolleyes::D;)

This has been neglected ever since I got it. Insane :confused: Now I've polished the bolsters-didn't like them matte at all-it's taken on new appeal, slim, long Wharcliffe and very tight construction:cool: Just wish I knew how to polish the scales but all that green or colour compounds seem to soak into this matte Ivory micarta, foul:eek:

w2FQ5iu.jpg

Different strokes for different folks, as they say. I love all the matte finishes on those Muslin Micarta #13's. :D

Good looking knives. :thumbsup: What color Noodler's is that? A blue-black, maybe?

Pulchritudinous pair, Pàdruig Pàdruig ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Salubrious stag selections, r8shell! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

9j8eqic.jpg

You're really plumbing the depths of that thesaurus, aren't you GT? ;) :D

That's a nice looking peanut you've got there. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Barrett. I appreciated your thoughts on the H20 (at least I think it was you who did a bit of a write up on it), it is a knife that has piqued my interest ever since I discovered them prior to the most recent release. I worry a bit that it might not prove to be anymore useful than a 71 or 21 but I might pull the trigger nonetheless.

I am thrilled that you have a Churchill on its way, it is such an incredible knife and has become a fast favorite, easily one of my most carried. I will look forward to reading your thoughts once you are able to experience it in hand.

Thanks, Dylan. The H20 is definitely worth a try, especially given the price. No, it probably isn't any more useful than a #71, but my knife collection would be a lot smaller if I applied that logic to every knife purchase. ;) :D

I got my Churchill in yesterday afternoon, but haven't had a chance to take a photo of it yet. I sharpened it up and carried it yesterday afternoon and all day today. As thick as the blade stock is on the clip, I'm very impressed with the GEC's grind on that blade. I also like how thin the sheepsfoot is. My only complaint so far is that I don't particularly like how the thin spine of the sheepsfoot feels in my hand when the main blade is open.

Fantastic! That is truly amazing looking knife.

Terrific shadow whittler, capo!

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo Thanks for the link :thumbsup: Main problem is the scales are being affected by the brass liners and pins, polishing is not going to be easy, could be a pro job.

And that Shadow Stag Whittler you're carrying :eek: just dayummm:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Regards, Will

I never noticed until your fine foto how the edge is set up on those Christy knives, FBC; even I could "find the angle" on that blade! :thumbsup::rolleyes: And Hugo is an outstanding knife!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: How do I always forget what should be such a memorable knife?? :confused::eek:

Thanks, y'all , I still can't believe my good luck in winning Ernie1980's super generous GAW.

Gary, one of the cool things about those Christy knives is the blades are replaceable.

Totin' MAM the Apple Slayer
26255468017_05d895ac11_h.jpg

I got my Churchill in yesterday afternoon, but haven't had a chance to take a photo of it yet. I sharpened it up and carried it yesterday afternoon and all day today. As thick as the blade stock is on the clip, I'm very impressed with the GEC's grind on that blade. I also like how thin the sheepsfoot is. My only complaint so far is that I don't particularly like how the thin spine of the sheepsfoot feels in my hand when the main blade is open.
I had the same issue. The spine of the sheepfoot hit just the wrong spot on the inside of my knuckle. I carefully filed the kick to lower the blade, and now it's very comfortable in hand. There are discussions about it in the Churchill thread, as well as before and after pics. I think a few other members did the same modification.

Here's a two-blader that I don't wish was a stockman. Sylph-slim, single spring, and no blade rub.
nvG9wGg.jpg

So who made that Sylphic muskrat? Schrade or Camillus? It looks fetching. Don't hesitate to share more photos.;)

I agree fully - it's reckless almost to the point of irresponsibility to not have at least one SAK on one's person.:cool:

You just keep crankin' out the hits. Perfectly proportioned spear point blade right there.

I've been rekindling this old romance for a few days now. WW2 Camillus engineers knife. The homemade leather pouch and 1/16" minicord fob are just icing on the cake.

oTJOzilh.jpg

Gtpfokoh.jpg
That beauty deserves a handmade sheath.
You could quit your day job and start taking orders for leatherwork.

67_CDEA6_C-_EDDD-40_D5-_A1_E6-5_D94_DC7_CD244.jpg

Today the euchatastrophe to end all tragedies begins. Post Tenebras Lux!

When I use fancy words, people look at me funny.
But I like the way you put that. Happy Easter to you.

Back