What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

The plethora of one-arm man knife pictures posted recently pressed my choice for totin' today: Case 05R from 1973 (the pattern was discontinued Jan. 1, 1978 unfortunately).

2xB482B.jpg

m9tJ1z9.jpg

tHCFklL.jpg

I plan to use both arms to carry/use it today, but only one at a time.

- Stuart

I am fairly sure it’s carbon due to the peppering just off the eye on the etch and along the top of that side. Also a bit of pitting on the tang of the pile side.

Do steel liners tell you anything about age?
They probably do , but I would have no idea of what the Key is .
The 2017 TEW Lambfoot that I have has Steel Liners but the 2015 Barlows that I have both have Brass Liners .
I have searched on line for trying to date TEW's and the only thing that I have found is the 1891 or 1892 date with the word ENGLAND being on the Tang Stamp .

Harry

Apologies for my recent absence friends, I have been busy entertaining an overseas visitor (no, not THAT one! :D). Enjoying catching up with this thread despite my snail's-pace internet connection today. Lots of incredible knives being shown folks, I'm hoping the post limit allows me to comment on just a few of them :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

hi fellow porch dwellers, I'm carrying my new ancient 2.0 today, and I have a question for you. Mostly a stainless collector, and am new to carbon blades - have a couple sweet ones (this one and a Michael May Lambfoot). Do you have favorite care products for your carbon blades? I've got a boker oil pen, and some Flitz, but wondering about day to day protection, think ive seen something along those lines around? I understand part of the equation is patina or no patina :) thx !View attachment 943442

A fine pair of knives to start off with :) I also like the Boker oil pens (and it's food-grade mineral oil). I do use Flitz, but not routinely, preferring to let my knives patina :thumbsup:

View attachment 943518 View attachment 943519 View attachment 943520

Here is a unique knife that I really enjoy carrying. It was made by South African Tim LaCombre. Extremely tight construction with a pinchable stainless blade and incredibly strong spring. The handle is African Monkey Apple Tree. The knife is built like a tank. The powerful spring makes it almost feel like a locking knife. You are definitely well equipped with this one.

Thanks for the photographs of those vehicles below @mykel m . I would give all of my knives and a lot more for that Power Wagon!

Great-looking knife Leslie :thumbsup:

These two for me today :)

42646237134_db51937756_b_d.jpg

Excellent combination my friend ;) :thumbsup:

Handsome pair, Jack; it's good to see that Unity lambsfoot getting its turn to spend some time with your latest Ancient! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

View attachment 944088

Thanks a lot GT, that Buck Canoe is a beauty :thumbsup:

So the Mrs asked me if I’d cut up the pineapple yet? “What pineapple?” Says I.

“The one I told you 3 days ago to cut up.” Says she. Not content to leave well enough alone and one to poke the sleeping bear I ask, “... and what would you suggest I use to cut it up with?”

I shoulda known better, she comes back with the Fletcher Knives Custom Karniboro Cleaver I won last year in a USA MADE Blades give away.

She drops it on the cuttin’ board and says, “Why don’t you use your custom cleaver?”

That was a great idea. The Karniboro is so knicely balanced and has enough forward weight to precisely chop through the joint of a chicken thigh and the high hollow grind makes slicing and dicing a pleasure.

My cleaver before this was a 6-7 lb vintage butcher’s cleaver from the 1920s-40s and was capable of cutting cattle in two with little to no effort.

The Karniboro was like the difference between driving a Stanley Steamer over an F-type Jaguar, no comparison. CPM154 steel with natural canvas micarta scales.

WrPXQni.jpg

26VdOC1.jpg

LOL! Classy chopper Ted! :D :thumbsup:

Meant to post more of this week's carries in an earlier post today, but it totally slipped my mind! :eek::(

Watchpocket knife this week is a Rough Rider locking dogleg mini canoe :rolleyes:
View attachment 944367

Big knife this week is a Buck clip/spey 4" toothpick:
View attachment 944368

Miscellaneous knife this week is a Rough Rider congress:
View attachment 944373

Lambsfoot knife this week is my Lam Jack, the horn-handled 2017 Guardians Lambsfoot (thanks, @mrknife ):
View attachment 944389

- GT

That top RR is an unusual pattern GT :cool: Nice to see your Lam Jack too my friend :) :thumbsup:

That looks like a great pair of knives, but I understand the impulse to change them out on a whim. What is the silver looking one? Old or new?

It's Old Friends Friday, for me.

View attachment 944611

Smashing pair of Old Friends Rachel :thumbsup:

This one has been in my pocket all week.
It was a gift from our forum member HST.
I didn't know it , but a gift from a friend was just what I needed to get the start of a bad week turned around and going in the right direction. Thank you so much HST, you made my week.
This has been a pleasure to carry this week. It is my first Sheffield. I am a huge fan of the Sheepsfoot and the Lambsfoot is every bit as good for my needs. It has had light duty so far as I am still in "baby it" mode. It did however open up a bunch of mail and trimmed up some unruly flowers out in the back yard. Mostly been CF and CE'd all week. Its gonna get a patina just from my grimy mitts on it all week.:)
By the way , there have been some real sweet carry knives shown in this thread this week. Top notch everyone.
Once again , I cant say thanks enough to my friend HST for this well timed and generous gift.
Burnt Stag
S7KNilO.jpg

Congratulations! :) Beautiful Lambsfoot, and some great stag there, hope you enjoy using the pattern :thumbsup: Well done @HST :) :thumbsup:

I am just going to have to assume that the last 1000+ posts in this thread that I've missed are full of the absolute best knives around. My apologies that I do not have the time to get caught up, that would be a task indeed.

Hoping I can chime in a bit more often.

I have these two with me today. I hope you all have a terrific weekend!

r8blgEg.jpg

Good to have you back Dylan, and in fine style :) :thumbsup:

That is going to make a fantastic project, and an amazing knife :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :) I've been carrying these two today (and the past couple of days) :thumbsup:

AW Small Sambar LF (2) 3-5.JPG

2018 Ancient 3-3.JPG

Back