What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Like @Whetstone39 above, I LOVE leftovers:

45108789225_422ab2faac_b.jpg

I like my food to approximate the colours of my knife scales. (I did have something green on the side, though).

fullsizeoutput_2ce1.jpeg
I landed a second chestnut on standby that I wasn't expecting. The grain on this one is darker and has a couple of character marks (worm holes or knots or something like that). The action is even smoother and the lock up even tighter than the one I had before.

Baie dankie for showing off your "friction folder", I.T.; what a great idea! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (And why did I never think of that? :rolleyes:)
Did you have to do anything to the backspring to make it give a solid stopping point for the blade tang? I have a Kutmaster stockman with great blades and two busted springs that I'll bet would be an excellent candidate for this! ;)

- GT

Thanks! It wasn't really a planned thing, just the best I could do with it..

I actually had to go back and look at what I did... been almost 3 years, amazingly!

Seems that I swapped the spring end for end and ground it to the frame shape, so the ruined end is what's sitting on the tang of the other broken blade... to provide spring tension, then I ground that blade flush to the bolsters.

So the blade that's there is mated perfectly to the spring when open or closed, like it would be normally. But with no real pressure holding the blade in either spot..

The "problem" is the end of the tang was screwed up and had to be re ground, so it doesn't touch the spring at all in the half stop position, or really any position other than full open or full closed, so the spring is never flexed by the blade. It just provides a stop for the blade to hit.

Then I just over peened the pin to provide the friction at the liners..

Hope that's some semblance of clear.. lol. The whole thing can be seen here;

https://ak-adventurer.net/2016/02/20/a-case-friction-folder-case-whittler-rebuild/ :)

So not really a broken spring fix like I remembered.

Not sure what I'd do with an actual broken springed knife.. Have a couple ideas, but the Easiest, I think would be to remove the broken springs completely.

And just make a back spacer out of something else(brass stock, or micarta comes to mind) to replace them, that would act as a blade stops. Then peen the pivot tight to make friction at the liners.

A stockman makes me think, don't think I've ever seen a friction folder with more than one blade, that'd actually be pretty cool!

Makes me want to pick up a rough rider, or a cheap broken knife and try it just to see..

Last edited:
Pleased to meet your Pals, Jack & Rachel (well, Rachel's dad's Pal)! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
Jack, I agree that RR sowbellies are very likable knives. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Mòran taing, Jack, for sharing the ebony lambsfoot and the pocket Plow that bring cheer to the compartments in your clothes! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Folle tank for showing us that splendid Beavertail and sheath, TheFactor TheFactor ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Baie dankie for showing off your "friction folder", I.T.; what a great idea! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (And why did I never think of that? :rolleyes:)
Did you have to do anything to the backspring to make it give a solid stopping point for the blade tang? I have a Kutmaster stockman with great blades and two busted springs that I'll bet would be an excellent candidate for this! ;)

Paljon kiitoksia for the fine pic of your black/white rehandles, Jeff; those are both HIGHLY desirable knives!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Alox of the Week is a Vic Pioneer:
upW10WO.jpg

non-Alox SAK of the Week is a Vic Pocket Pal:
vuBmUxu.jpg

Bailed non-SAK of the Week is a Kutmaster GSA knife:
4SYw7WW.jpg

- GT

GT, like many here, I am grateful for all the many observations and kind words you bring to this thread, and to The Porch in general :) I always enjoy seeing your GS knife :thumbsup:

I like my food to approximate the colours of my knife scales.

Only on BF! :D :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :) Just this one for me today :thumbsup:

CgjHUb2.jpg

# 65 GEC Ben Hogan
Very nice Dave. I really like that knife.

Stag (it's required by me), and leather and brass. I couldn't decide how to pose them so I'll post them both.
The stacked leather sow sucks the air from the room. But I am just amazed by this all-metal creation. His talent has no boundaries. And Alan you are a master at sifting through the detritus and finding the hidden jewels.

Pt-Luso Pt-Luso I really enjoy all the European knives you post. :)IMG_6309.jpgCanal Street

Last edited:
Thanks Dwight. That MOP is jewel like. John's talent knows no boundaries. He truly enjoys the process and working with different materials. It's what keeps me coming back for more.

Back