What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

For Wednesday:
FIkEb7s.jpg

Sambar stag, A. Wright & Son, Sheffield, England; and polished stag, @ArtesaniaHerreros, Albacete, Spain.

Some experiments with the higonokamis. The larger one was cheaper than the small one and it shows. The blade is ok, but needs sharpening. The handle has some flex, so it would have needed to be made of thicker stock or made of steel like the small one. There is some wobble or play in the pivot, in the small one none. The tightness can be adjusted with hammer, but the play in other directions stays so the fit is not good in the brass one.

So most likely I will keep the big one to have the blade, in case I will make a new handle and discard the brass handle. Also I like the pivoting sheath/handle in the small one better, it stays in place when using it and gives a very solid grip. I was first going to discard the hardened leather because I thought I had ruined it, but now I actually like the random pattern.

So, as in every knife, you get what you pay for. I advice, if buying a higo to pay more. Anyway even the more expensive ones are not that costly, but you don't have to start adjusting or sharpening right away.

pjePnOs.jpg

Last edited:
Rosewood for Wednesday is going to graciously share the limelight with some home dyed delrin, because nobody really does a dedicated delrin day. Poor lowly delrin.View attachment 1107778View attachment 1107779 And since it’s wood Wednesday, here’s a pic of some cherry I picked out of my stack that is going to become an amplifier cabinet.
View attachment 1107780

It looks like you've uncorked the secret of making a great crust!
I have to ask - to you bake bread commercially, have a huge family, or just eat a LOT of bread?

I had to stop baking. It was making my wife and me fat. But your bread pictures always look sooo good.
It started as my attempt to stop over-paying for the crap I was able to buy locally, and turned into a massive way to procrastinate every week and create backgrounds for knife pictures. Actually, real sourdough bread lowers your glycemic index!

Back