1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    That's such a wonderful knife, Jack. :thumbsup::cool:

Jack Black likes this.
  2. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I think it's Bob Dozier's take on the Arkansas Toothpick pattern, that was likely a much bigger knife.

It's similar to the Loveless New York Special that is a Bob Loveless pattern. The blade is pretty much the same. The handle contours are different.

I read that some attribute the original Arkansas Toothpick pattern to an 1800s American blacksmith named James Black. Any relation?:):thumbsup:

Jack Black and dc50 like this.
  3. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    @Misplaced Hillbilly - really like your throwing knives David! :thumbsup: :D

Ray

4. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Still catching up!

Thanks to all y'all.

Thanks, Dean, and thanks to you, your brothers, and your father for your service. I had a cup of coffee with the Army beginning in the summer of 1972 at Ft. Bragg, NC. I didn't see any action, except for watching MPs round up 11-Bravos in downtown Fayette-nam.
    - Stuart

5. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I'm totin' two cousins on this Twosday: a Böker 9023 equal end jack and a Primble 5733 senator pen (also an equal end), both 3 1/8" with sunk joints and from around the same period, early 1960s for the Böker and 1940-1968 for the Primble. Oh, and the Primble is Böker-made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Primble does have a bit of fancy work - the backs of the brass liners are coined.

[​IMG]

- Stuart

6. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thank you very much Dave :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Gary :) I've heard of James Black, but not a relation so far as I know :D :thumbsup:

7. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    This old Catt today.
    [​IMG]

8. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Today with Lambsfoot in Iron wood and little Robi Klass.;):thumbsup:

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Beautiful jigged bone, file worked scales and sunk joints - what more could you ask for? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Duckdog likes this.
  10. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Stuart and Mark, those are some stunning examples of jigged bone, just exquisite!

I'm still toting my curly zebrawood teardrop.
    [​IMG]

Laurelbb, TFBraden, RDaneel and 23 others like this.
  11. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    A heavenly knife.
    [​IMG]

JOELSM, jwb01, Laurelbb and 27 others like this.
  12. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Totally cool Dave. :thumbsup::cool:

Dschal likes this.
  13. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Love the Dozier. I’ve never met a Dozier knife I didn’t like.

Peregrin and cigarrodog like this.
  14. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
  15. Bigburly912

Bigburly912

Nov 14, 2018
    Going to make my first attempt at an image post because I love this thread and want to share some of my traditionals!

Opinel 1er and hand forged bottle opener.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    Lol Fayette-nam, I gotta remember that, I just pulled a 16 foot trailer through there this evening, traffic was white knuckle. Unfortunately gang violence is getting bad down there,so my boss says

Thanks to all y'all.

Thanks, Dean, and thanks to you, your brothers, and your father for your service. I had a cup of coffee with the Army beginning in the summer of 1972 at Ft. Bragg, NC. I didn't see any action, except for watching MPs round up 11-Bravos in downtown Fayette-nam.
    - Stuart[/QUOTE]

17. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Ulster dogleg jack
    [​IMG]

18. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Really cool picture!!!

Fodderwing and cigarrodog like this.
  19. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Tulips blooming in my neighbor's front yard... for some reason it inspired me to carry my red cadet.
    I am not sure why... may be because of the colors or because Holland is closer to Switzerland than Ontario ? :)
    Then on our afternoon walk my wife and I came upon this beautiful Trillium flowers, the symbol for Ontario.
    How does all of this relates together ? ... I don't have a clue :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. A. Pradel

A. Pradel

May 17, 2019
    Oh ! Thank you for doing that !

Prester John and r8shell like this.