What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Wishing everyone an enjoyable and gratitude-filled Thanksgiving! :thumbsup::):thumbsup:
Thank you very much Gary!!! I think the white version of the BSA is a rare bird, yours being the first I've seen!:thumbsup:
Quite the pair of prestigious slicers from Europe, both sporting very cool stag!:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I appreciate the info and compliment, JJ. :)

Starting out the week with a pair of favorites; a Case Barlow from 1940-64 and an Imperial BSA scout from 1945-52. :)
Vintage classics! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone had a great weekend, and that the coming week treats you kindly :) I'm starting off my week with these two, my Hartshead Barlow SFO in stag and a Needham Penknife in ivory :thumbsup:
Thanks for all your contributions on The Porch, Jack, including the photos of so many fascinating knives, such as that ivory penknife. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm enjoying the pile-side pics of your stag HHB that you've been posting recently.:)

Good morning everyone, today to start the week, I walk in my pocket with this Vic alox pruner.;):thumbsup:
That's a charming blue pruner, José! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I hope it's the start of a great week for everybody...
That harness jack has colorful acrylic, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

If I have the lambsfoot and Russlock, I don't really need the stockman, and if I have the stockman, I don't really need the lambsfoot and Russlock.
But really, how much weight and space am I saving?
For me, that's a key question, Jer, that I answer with a resounding, "Not much!", and pocket another knife. :rolleyes::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Schrade walden 861 4'' stockman. Great pattern.

View attachment 1238795
Day off so a couple of users for outdoor seasonal decoration chores.
dCdGiAT.jpg

Is that 861 an ancestor of the 61OT? I agree that it's a wonderful pattern (I have a Chinese 61OT) that carries surprisingly well for such a large stockman. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

On a brisk Autumn morning
Great fall colors on that Barlow, Dean, and the matching stamps on tang and bolster are very cool! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Looks like a Good Day at Black Rock, Gev!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

New Nut seems to be turning into Old Yeller.
Beautiful!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

These two just arrived before lunch and straight into my pocket :thumbsup:
Congrats on the handsome pair of new folders, Steve! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks GT, "thaumaturgical" sounded better to me than "magic" :). On the subject of phrases, I believe you coined the term "ALOX pox", which I certainly have. That blue Pioneer X travels with me everywhere I go. I want to make a leather horizontal belt pouch for it, but lack the skill so far. SWEET lanyard on the 72 :thumbsup:

Carrying these two today.
Always enjoy the pics of knives on the rocks, Tom; that TC is entrancing! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
I certainly use the phrase "Alox pox", but I didn't originate it; I think I first read it on the multitools subforum. Good luck with making a sheath; I'd eventually like to make a simple pocket slip with lacing instead of stitching. Thanks for the comment on my leather shoe lace lanyard; I had to remember how to make a 3-strand braid (I couldn't come up with the 4-strand pattern I originally wanted :rolleyes:), including how to "back-braid" the end.

Starting the new week off with baby steps, so I'm totin these tiny two: a Queen #42 (1976) and a Schrade 108OT (1946-1973).
- Stuart
Definitely a situation in which good things come in small packages, Stuart! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

View attachment 1238985 This old thing. Hope everyone has a short week:thumbsup:
Striking photo of a knife that's always appealed to me! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Carrying this one today . Western...
Harry
That's a handful of Western there, Harry; you could harvest a Christmas tree with that big boy! ;):cool::cool:

Rosewood and smooth white bone today.View attachment 1239105
I like a Rough Rider sowbelly stockman! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Tuesdays totes are trappers; a GEC 43 and 53 both sporting keyhole shields. :)...
Big Iron! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone's week is going well so far :) I thought I'd pair my Hartshead Barlow with this Watchpocket Barlow SFO of Barry's I got a few years ago, I think he did a really good job of these #25s :thumbsup:
Champion choices, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm going with the Blackwood Barlow today...
You have some very distinguished black single-blade spears, John! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

But that’s just me. The great thing about this thread is getting to see the old and new, and the users and the pristine collectables. Admiring them is cheaper than chasing them.:D
Well-said, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1239260Stuck with the 54 and 6308 again, so here’s a shot of the two that are always on me, no matter what’s in my right front pocket.
View attachment 1239261
Nice to see your classic constant companions, Jeff! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Just a small (for me) micarta by T.A. Davison. It was one of his first 15 or 20 knives. View attachment 1239278
Intriguing knife, Alan! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Been carry in the 2013 Half Congress the last couple of days, what a great pattern. The long pulls, Rat Tail bolsters, Sheepsfoot main blade and micarta scales, make this a great pocket companion for everyday carry.
That BF congress jack looks so elegant to me, Ted! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I'm liking it a lot.
But, I may take the Hartshead out of rotation. It's not really my favorite and I'd like to preserve it.
Makes sense; thanks for the info. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Gary, I must have bought at least a dozen of those Taylor-Imperial Sodbusters, and given them away. I think they punch well above their weight :) :thumbsup:

I hope I never have to choose between them! :rolleyes: ;) :D :thumbsup:
Good to hear your opinion on the Imperial sodbusters, Jack. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! :eek:;):rolleyes:

Thank your for the comment on the 'Pioneer,' but it is an '03 Soldier. Not as old as yours.
Oops! :rolleyes: Thanks for the correction, Dean. :)

Thanks GT! I hope so, I am only waiting on the sheath now. If it works out as well as I think it will, I may have Evan create an EDC version of it. He is great to work with, and luckily for me located in my home state.
Sounds like you're a man with a plan, Tom. :):cool::cool:
That Remington scout is desirable! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

View attachment 1239439 View attachment 1239438 View attachment 1239437

Because I already had this Gun Scout in Bloodwood, I opted for the Oily Creek 86. I just had to get the wrench shield. I understand why some do not like the wrench, but, to me, it perfectly fits Bill Howard's vision for the Oil Field Jack. It also honors skilled people who use tools for a living. Totin’ both today.
I always like the shields that are "real things", including that wrench, instead of "abstract shapes". ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: Did you ever notice how we tend to refer to the abstract shields by names of real things the shapes sort of remind us of?

This is TEW'Sday .
Harry
Hurrah for the return of Two TEWs Tuesday! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

A Waynorth Lamb and a Churchill Cigar for me today. :):thumbsup:
Dynamite duo, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs - Thank you for the nice words, GT. The doughnut was as good as it looks.:)
:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's another ancient beauty, Harvey! :cool::thumbsup::cool: My eyes are having trouble with the tang stamp; who made that knife?

Still with the Buck 212 and Case Texas jack, but this little Buck 309 just came in and will be living in my watch pocket for a while.
Lovely little pen knife!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

From Boswell’s Life of Samuel Johnson:

“... The grand object of travelling is to see the shores of the Mediterranean. On those shores were the four great Empires of the world; the Assyrian, the Persian, the Grecian, and the Roman.—All our religion, almost all our law, almost all our arts, almost all that sets us above savages, has come to us from the shores of the Mediterranean.’ The General observed, that ‘THE MEDITERRANEAN would be a noble subject for a poem.'”
Thanks for the Boswell quote, Will. :cool:;):thumbsup: I haven't travelled very much, but I have seen the Mediterranean from Denia, Spain, so I guess I've achieved the "grand object". :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Speaking of "grand objects", that is a stunning Lionsteel! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That black lip pearl is striking! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Absolutely loving these two. My first two GECs, and they are perfect....
Congrats on a couple of capital knives!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I'm totin' a Case Slim-Line Trapper and a Case Texas Jack, both coated in pocket lint, as all good users are.
- Stuart
A couple of intriguing open Cases you're investigating, Stuart! ;):cool::cool:

View attachment 1239744 View attachment 1239743

Totin’ Old School! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Went back to EDC an old friend yesterday, with me today as well. OH
Case-6318-CV-Nine-dot-1981.jpg
Old School is the Best School! Sublime Case stockmans, LT & OH!! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

My two totes for Wednesday are wearing wood; a Buck 110 5160 and a pre WWII Robeson TL-29. :)
Pre-holiday preparations made me forget Wooden Wednesday! :eek::(:mad: I'm glad you didn't, JJ; terrific timbered twosome! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Along with my Hartshead Barlow, doffing a flat-cap to the cotton-mills of Lancashire, I'll be carrying a traditional Tackler's Knife made by Wheatley Brothers of Sheffield, in Yorkshire ;) :thumbsup:

EegA70e.jpg

Have a good day folks :) :thumbsup:
That Tackler's Knife is a favorite, Jack!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks so much for the info, Gary.;)
I've been searching and found the Marbles canoe.:):thumbsup:
I hope if you get it that you'll enjoy yours as much as I do mine! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Puma small folder with a pocket watch my middle daughter gifted me a few years ago, neither expensive, but both pretty handy ;)
G2
Couple of grand gifts, Gary! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I had just the SAK on my belt for the ER yesterday, though they still don't have metal detectors.
Looks like I've got diverticulitis, and I'll be on a non-alcohol clear liquid diet for Thanksgiving. I'm not that wild about turkey anyway, fortunately....
I hope you can clear up that infection ASAP, Jer! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Doesn't turkey soup have fabled recuperative benefits? ;)

It's been too long since I've carried this well travelled old beauty. Still tight, snaps smoothly and cuts well.

View attachment 1239803 View attachment 1239804
I decided to pocket this one as well. In keeping with the old and well used cattle knife theme for today.

View attachment 1239890
Couple of charismatic cattle knives!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I've got two knives in my pockets today. The SwissTank is still taking up residence in my coin pocket. But the old Camillus Army Engineers knife is riding shotgun in its pouch. I've really missed the Camillus as of late. But now that the the less humid months have arrived, it'll get and more pocket time.
bEuQ8Doh.jpg
Great to see that old scout pattern again, Buzz! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

5K Qs 5K Qs ~ re: Ps:61, not this time, but it seems you can’t find a Psalm that has not been appropriated by lyricists!

Eagle,Phil. cigar jack, and BSA 72.
I’ll be smoking two 15lb birds to take to Mom&Dad’s tomorrow~ safe travels to all who will be on the road!
View attachment 1239843 View attachment 1239844
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, Jeff and everyone else! :):thumbsup::)

- GT

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends on the Porch.
Going to carry "my knife" today. If I tell my kids to get "my knife", they know exactly which one to grab.
Today's a day for being thankful, spending time with family, watching football, and eating too much good food. Hope it's a good one for all of you.

To my Porch friends in the United States I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! To all my Porch friends around the world, I wish you a blessed day! I’m blessed to be spending the holiday with my family! I only have a few knives with me today and I’ve chosen this one for the pocket on Thanksgiving! :)

48332462797_1a2426502e_o_d.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope your day is filled with fun, family, friends and good food! We have a lot to be thankful for.
I just filled the bird feeders and threw a scoopful of seed on the ground for the wild turkeys. I feed them and today, one of their domesticated relatives, many times removed, feeds my family. Seems fair to me!
4rtz4WT.jpg

Thank you Jack; either a bear or a very large turkey!:eek:
You alway have such great props for your wonderful totes; love the swage on your great old Wheatly Bros.!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL! Yes, I guess a turkey is more appropriate :D Thank you very much for your kind words JJ :)

My Thursday totes a a couple Schatt & Morgan slicers, a large stockman and a rope cutter; both adequate should I encounter a turkey. :)

Two beauties there, I love that Rope Knife :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your contributions on The Porch, Jack, including the photos of so many fascinating knives, such as that ivory penknife. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I'm enjoying the pile-side pics of your stag HHB that you've been posting recently.:)

Champion choices, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good to hear your opinion on the Imperial sodbusters, Jack. :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! :eek:;):rolleyes:

That Tackler's Knife is a favorite, Jack!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Many thanks Gary :) :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends on the Porch.
Going to carry "my knife" today. If I tell my kids to get "my knife", they know exactly which one to grab.
Today's a day for being thankful, spending time with family, watching football, and eating too much good food. Hope it's a good one for all of you.

That's nice John :) :thumbsup:

To my Porch friends in the United States I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! To all my Porch friends around the world, I wish you a blessed day! I’m blessed to be spending the holiday with my family! I only have a few knives with me today and I’ve chosen this one for the pocket on Thanksgiving! :)

48332462797_1a2426502e_o_d.jpg

Thanks Ron, great-looking stag :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope your day is filled with fun, family, friends and good food! We have a lot to be thankful for.
I just filled the bird feeders and threw a scoopful of seed on the ground for the wild turkeys. I feed them and today, one of their domesticated relatives, many times removed, feeds my family. Seems fair to me!
4rtz4WT.jpg

Nice Thanksgiving choices Gary :) :thumbsup:

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day :) :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

PSA ~ cook fowl / pork to a minimum of 160 degrees for it to be safe to eat. Turkey was 15 lbs and cooked faster than I thought. Gotta be careful, don't want dry breasts! The boston butt weighed about half as much but took twice as long to get to tender temp of 194. Injected with apple juice it is something to be thankful for! Used GEC SS kitchen knife during prep, cooked in Cookshack PG500 pellet smoker.

2019turkey-1.jpg

2019porkbutt-1.jpg

Back