What was the most popular knife when you were in school?

Grade school thru high school.

Be sure to tell us the time period and patterns.

Last edited:
I graduated HS in 2002 so for much of my HS years "Zero Tolerance" was in play this of course didn't actually stop things and most schools in my area, Middle Tennessee, didn't begin installing metal detectors until those final years fortunately I never went to a school with them. I think most kids just had some type of multi-blade traditional, SAK type multi-tool, or Leatherman type multi-tool.

This thread needs pictures.
In elementary school, late 60s to early 70s: cheap Scouts and Campers

md6ctuX.jpg

My first knife was a Kutmaster. :)
luCJezM.jpg

Last edited:
In high school in south Alabama in the late 1990's/early 2000's, most guys had pocket knives, but the only ones that would brag about what brand carried Buck, Cold Steel, or balisongs.

Mid 70s.. In my neck of the woods I do not recall anyone carrying a knife in school.. Had a teacher keep a Colt .45 that he carried in his desk though!!! I carried a BUCK 309 thru Jr/Sr high School.. Still have it though retired!!! John

1996-2000 in Western Ny. Big fat rubber handled knives like Gerber gators and Kershaw black horses were big. I carried a Kershaw DWO II at that time.

Last edited:
1962 to 1974 is when I was in school.
I and most of my classmates carried a 2 blade jack knife, or a 3 blade stockman, or a 4 blade Scout knife/SAK from first/second grade to our sophomore year of high school (1971)
However, a few started carrying a Buck 110 in 8th and 9th grade.
Starting in 1971, most of us who took a shops class started to carry a Buck 110 or Schrade 7OT.
I'm not sure how many besides myself kept the slipjoint in our pocket and carried both.

Those who didn't take a shops class for the most part didn't carry a lockback, but kept whatever slipjoint they had in their pocket.

Note that the above includes the females I went to school with. I'd guess 99.9% of them kept a multi blade slipjoint in their pocket or purse.
I do remember one gal who had a Buck 110 on her belt.

I'm from a time when it was not considered strange or unusual that a woman needed a knife for mundane daily tasks just as much as a man did.
(I'd also guess that at least 70% of the girls I went to school with also hunted.)

For me, everyone wanted a cheap balisong. I finally went and got one from Chinatown. My favorite was one with fancily-painted pot metal handles and some kind of low grade, badly hardened 420 blade. About like the current entry level Bear models.

That was when I learned about what a proper size is for EDC. I had been carrying SAKs before that, and went back to SAKs after that as well. The fact that they were illegal to carry at that time made the large size a real problem, when it came to EDC.

This was from my high school years in the early 90s.

68-72 High school, SAK varying models. Bottle opener, cork screw and blade were the perfect tools for a miss spent youth.

Late 1950's-1960's, everyone had a barlow or stockman. The boys played mumly-peg at recess and noone, teachers or admin thought anything unusual about it.
Rich

Last edited:
1969 - 1981. Aside from one kid who had a large SAK in 5th grade, I only started noticing knives in junior high (1975-78). I don't recall any one knife model or brand in particular. Saw some Buck 110s and lookalikes. Camillus scout knives. Stockmans. Maybe a Barlow or two.

I never even saw nor heard of Case knives until I was around 34 years old. The brands I noticed being sold in stores (and therefore mostly carried) around here at the time were mainly Schrade, Buck, Camillus, Ka-Bar (pocketknives), Wenger, Victorinox, Craftsman, Colonial, etc. I got my first SAK in '77, a small Wenger with only a pen blade and a nail file. I didn't get my first Victorinox SAK until 1981.

Jim

Back