What was your first knife?

shaving sharp

Gold Member
If you don't count the sharpened popcicle sticks and butter knives that I took from my moms kitchen drawer and sharpened on the concrete drive.
Mine was a Gerber Guardian. I bought it back in the late seventies when I turned 18 for $29.00 which was about 3/4 of a days pay for me back then.

Second knife Buck 110

Don't know the brand, it was a non-descript slip joint pocket knife that my brother handed down to me when I was probably about 8. Whittled many a pointed stick with that knife :D

The first knife I ever bought for myself was a Schrade Old Timer in the late seventies, I still have it.

Kevin

My VERY first knife was a little no-name lockback folder with, maybe, a 2" blade. It was some "advertising" knife that my dad was given at work. Pearlite handle with a logo on it. I think I was 10 when I got it. After carrying it for a couple of years and getting other knives, I gave it back to dad for safe-keeping.

My first fixed blade was the old standby: hollow plastic handle survival knife with sawback, the mini-Rambo looking thing I got for $5. Couldn't get that thing sharp to save my life (with my minimal skills back then) but I still managed to give it hell out in the woods.

Now my first "real" knives, quality wise, were a Camillus 3 blade mini stockman and a Shrade Sharpfinger.

My first knife was an Ulster carbon steel Boy Scout knife my father gave me after I earned my "totin chip". (1968) It had the metal Boy Scout logo and everything. I was so proud of that knife.

I still have it. I had to go get it to check the maker. I think I'll carry it for a little while. Thanks for reminding me Mr. sharp!

The first one I can remember buying myself was a little metal-handled SAK when I was 12. Still have it, too.

Spyderco Endura combo edge. I used to use it to open returns at Service Merchandise when they were still around, in retrospect not the most sheeple friendly knife, but better than many. Not sure if a SAK qualifies as I had that before then.

My first knife was a SAK at age 10, a ranger maybe? First knife I started carrying daily was a serrated Spyderco Endura at age 14. The Spydie was the one that got me interested in different designs and (didnt realize it then) EDC.

First pocket knife was an advertising slipjoint wannabe SAK. I still have it but the scales fell off long ago. Got it when I was about 4 1/2 or 5

First fixed blade was a ruana skinner my dad got me when i was 7. Still have it and love it.

my first was a Imperial fishing knife(toothpick) with white pearl scales--loved that knife but lost it--but just found another just like it in excellent condition am very happy to have found a replacement--brings back memorys--:thumbup:

A Schrade Sharpfinger was my first good quality knife back in about 1970. Great skinning knife and I used it for nearly twenty years before foolishly lending it out.
It came back with the tip broken off about a quarter inch down. Still upset over that, I never, ever lend out knives to anyone since then.

Opinel. It was the small keychain one with plastic handle (#2?) I think I still have it.

Last edited:
This one...

knives131.jpg

I don't know who made it, and you can't tell from the tang these days.
It was given to me by one of my uncles back around 1975, but who knows how long he had it before giving it to me.

Maxam-SKOLG10_thumb155_crop.jpg

came free with a cheapo katana in my mall ninja days :rolleyes:

but oh boy did I love that POS :cool:

My first knife was a fixed blade my Momma bought me at Sears-Roebuck back when I was 4 1/2 years old. :)

That was in 1956. ;)

I guess that was when the "seed" to the addiction was planted. :D

Good thread that has brought back fond memories..... thanks. :thumbup:

Back