What would you do with a collection?

not2sharp

Platinum Member
Let’s face it, we are all here because we enjoy knives and are seeking to learn or share information on knives. As we chase our latest grail knife: it is easy to loose sight that we are eventually going to end up with a collection and the equivalent of an advanced degree in knife collecting. This thread is about these collections.

No matter what the current state of your collection, let’s just assume that the knife fairy pops up tonight and tomorrow you awaken to crate loaded with 1,000 knives of all kinds. What would you do with your new found collection? Using them all seems impractical. Do you sell them; photograph them for a book; put them on display; head for Hollywood to lease them as props; write your own script for a story featuring plenty of knives, or just sit back and reminisce on the many fond memories.

Just for the fun of it, let’s hear about what are you going to do when you wake up one distant morning to discover yourself surrounded by an (over?) abundance of knives?

n2s

Last edited:
1000 random knives show up.
I’m going to assume I’m interested in about 10%, so 100 pieces for me! Id probably give away another 10% here, then physical give away another 10% through day to day interactions with people. Lastly I’d sell the remaining 700 here on the forum, and go buy a few more !

I rotate my collection and in fact any knife I don’t carry get sold at some point

As a consequence a large collection doesn’t make sense for me.
I think that +/- 50 pieces should be a maximum for me

so if a magical collection of 1.000 knives appears, I think I will take the opportunity to reorganise my collection and sell the one that doesn’t make it to my short list

I'm also into guns, cars, and watches so I would probably sell about 900 of them and use that money for my other hobbies. I don't keep knives I wouldn't carry and I can't see myself needing more than 1 per week of the year.

I'm picky. I bet I'd keep a absolute max of 250, if there were all to my specs customs etc. Then, I'd probably sell and give away the rest.

Fingers crossed that this knife fairy doesn't come my way. While it might be fun to look through them, and pick out a few that I want to keep; the simple truth is I wouldn't want to invest the time or energy in dealing with the rest

Let’s face it, we are all here because we enjoy knives and are seeking to learn or share information on knives. As we chase our latest grail knife: it is easy to loose sight that we are eventually going to end up with a collection and the equivalent of an advanced degree in knife collecting. This thread is about these collections.

No matter what the current state of your collection, let’s just assume that the knife fairy pops up tonight and tomorrow you awaken to crate loaded with 1,000 knives of all kinds.
n2s

I think it depends on your goal. Some likes to find the ultimate keeper, so it's a constant flux of in and out, while others may like to collect for variety. I think for collectors, it will be great to have the space to display some(if not most) of the collection in a thematic way, it gives great viewing pleasure and it's great conversation starter.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much space to display most of the collection, so I tried to take as many photo as possible and organize them in software(Lightroom) It's almost like an online gallery of its own and it's easy to keep track and see what I own.

3SRvKsI.jpg

I would most likely sell them all. Reason being I didn't collect them. To me that is the fun in our collections, finding, researching in advance, bidding in some cases. I prefer my own collection. TD

I’d do the same as I’m already doing. Rotate the users as needed and keep the rest as backup. And it doesn’t take 1000, or even 50, knives to do it.

I would do justice to said knife fairy.

Each morning I would select a knife from the trove, and it would be my daily carry. At the end of the day I would document in a journal what I liked about the piece, what I disliked, and whom the knife might suit best should I decide to give it away at the end of the journey.

Some 2 and 3/4 years down the road I would review the pieces and their journaled reviews to make a list of the new recipients for each knife, and then select one for myself.

I think a knife fairy would appreciate the "pay-it-forward" approach that was taken with this bounty.

Keep a few and sell the rest... and donate the funds to the old knife collectors retirement home.
I have too many now anyway, so they would need a good home or to those who will actually use them. So if I cannot sell them, I would give them away asssummg they are decent quality to our troops, first responders, or people who need a knife. That is the hope. I am slowly realizing I have too many now anyway, so I would reduce the herd. Maybe display the ones I really like. I will never just keep the ones I actually use, as some can do, but maybe by reducing I will actually get the chance to use more of the ones I really do like.

I’d immediately start searching for #1001.

I doubt it would be any different from now, as I already have an (over) abundance of knives.

If that happened to me, I'd paw through and see if there were any gems, or anything that was on my "Gotta Have At Some Point" list, and then set aside some others for gifts. I'd sell the rest. I have over two hundred knives as is, and think about selling some of them every now and again. Still haven't gotten around to it.

Back