• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

What would you do?

sting7777

Gold Member
I shipped a knife using PP G&S to the verified address. It shows delivered. Recipient says he never received. USPS won't let me open a claim for some time. He says he can't find the package. It was delivered to a "Parcel locker" No idea what that is.

I had him open a PayPal claim but they closed it in my favor almost instantly because it was delivered to the the address provided.

I feel kind of shitty that he didn't get the knife. But I also did everything I was supposed to (I think) and I'm not currently working so not in a position to just give away knives or money.

So just wait and open a USPS claim?

Value is around 100.

What say ye?

I was whining but this thread movement stuff always happens to me. Shrug.

Tell the guy to contact his local post office about the missing package. I've been told that they record the GPS coordinates of the package's location when it's scanned as delivered. They'll be able to tell him if it was clearly mis-delivered, which would help with any future claims.

That's probably all you can do at this point, other than wait.

I shipped a knife using PP G&S to the verified address. It shows delivered. Recipient says he never received. USPS won't let me open a claim for some time. He says he can't find the package. It was delivered to a "Parcel locker" No idea what that is.

I had him open a PayPal claim but they closed it in my favor almost instantly because it was delivered to the the address provided.

I feel kind of shitty that he didn't get the knife. But I also did everything I was supposed to (I think) and I'm not currently working so not in a position to just give away knives or money.

So just wait and open a USPS claim?

Value is around 100.

What say ye?

This happened to me on the recieving end. The package said it was delivered but wasn’t at the front desk or in my little mail box.

Turned out it was in apartment 1206’s mailbox rather than mine in 1205!

Could be placed in the wrong box. All you can hope for in that case is an honest person redirects it to the correct one. If there are a row of boxes/lockers GPS is not going to help. Also if USPS has it as delivered they are not going to honor a claim. I would ask the buyer to go to PO and maybe they can locate it or carrier remember.
If it is totally lost you will have to decide to pay off or not. If I believed he had never received the item, I would pay off. If someone pays me for an item I expect them to get it. If you think it's a scam you can just walk away-PP has cleared you. This is where the signature request can be very useful.
It's not a great situation to be in.

I’ve had a couple packages show delivered by the tracking number, waited a couple days and they showed up to my house. If it’s only been a day or two, give it another day. The buyer will have to hunt it down on his end. Hopefully the post office will have the info of carriers that delivered to the address.

I’ve had this happen a couple times showing delivered in parcel box, knowing it won’t fit in my mail box. Was in an apartment with a mail room. Turns out they left a key in the mailbox to the large lock boxes in the mail room. If he’s in an apartment or somewhere with a mail room have him check that.

It’s been over a week and he hasn’t been able to track it down. I hate these situations.

I would give it a little more time to see what shakes out. This is a tough situation. Technically you are not obligated to do anything . I guess it depends on your assessment of your faith in the other party . It may be fair for each of you to eat half the value. Thankfully, it is only $100 and not $500 or more. Sorry this happened.

This seems like the recipients problem now.

What more can you do than send it properly and get confirmation of delivery?

If buyer did not get it, despite USPS saying he did, he is in best position to dispute the matter with post office.

Hoping you copied your buyer to this thread. Many good ideas on how to move forward. If you shipped priority only $50 insurance and still no blade. The buyer needs to get actively involved in tracking it down.
Got to say today's postal delivery staff are not what they used to be. :(

Had this happen with a trade a couple of years ago, the recipient got my knife and messaged me to be sure that I as happy so I looked and it said delivered but I never got it. We decided to wait for a few days and nothing...then about 2 weeks later a beat up box was returned to him so he re-sent and everything was good but it did take a few weeks. I was thinking about posting in the GBU but the guy had 100% feedback, including quite a few trades, so I decided to wait and was glad that I did because it was neither one of our faults and everything worked out in the end. His package had the correct address so we never figured out what really happened so I would wait for a few more days.

It is not on you. You did your part. Move along

The missing packages fall on the buyer to hunt down because his PO dropped the ball

Why?
I experienced the same thing as a buyer a few weeks ago.
My seller was on the ball and asked how am I enjoying the knife.

Told him what was up and he like you felt bad.
Two packages saying they were derived and my mail box is empty.

I went to my PO with tracking numbers and explained what is the issue. They printed out a detailed list
of where they went. I pushed the issue.

Next day they were delivered. Turns out my letter carrier logged them "Delivered" but just threw them back in the main bin
at the PO to possibly take home for later.

Not your fault OP

You did what you could. There seems to be an issue on his end receiving items.

I lived in an apartment. The item didn't fit in the mail box and was sent to the Managers Office with other peoples packages. The item was scanned by the Postman as delivered but never checked into the Apartment managers office. I wasn't reimbursed by the seller.

If you wanted to go the extra mile- Offer to split the loss and refund $50 if it was a $100 Transaction.

I’m assuming the other party has solid feedback here, he needs to push the issue with his local USPS. If nothing comes of it in a week or two, a half refund would be a very standup move but not necessary.

Back