• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

What would you do?

Hold up. Let me make sure I understand. You now have his money and he has (allegedly) no knife? Did you purchase postal insurance? Did you request signature confirmation? You do those things to protect you, and you are the one that has to file claims and chase it down. He can't.

Hold up. Let me make sure I understand. You now have his money and he has (allegedly) no knife? Did you purchase postal insurance? Did you request signature confirmation? You do those things to protect you, and you are the one that has to file claims and chase it down. He can't.

I shipped the knife to the PayPal verified address. It was delivered there to a parcel locker. He says he didn’t get it / is unaware of where this locker is / ddt get a key. It was insured for the full purchase price. PayPal will not allow me to file a claim as the item was delivered. USPS requires me to wait to file a claim which I will do when I can.

I posted here because it’s a shitty situation but not sure what else I can do as a seller / shipper.

When the problem occurs at the buyers local PO it is extremely helpful if they inquire locally rather than initiate the process at the sellers end(which they may not even start for 30 days). They can often get better and quicker results than would be possible from the sellers side.
I believe this situation has past that stage

Last edited:
I would think he should go to the PO and ask to speak to a Supervisor. Since he claims he doesn’t know where, or have the key to the parcel locker, tell the supervisor the situation and ask for assistance. In the future, I would recommend that you include signature required/and or avoid buyers who don’t have their own mail box. Make sure that there is tracking,allows you to inform the buyer that the package is delivered, and that he can check ASAP. You could also, despite not being able to file a claim at the moment, ask for assistance from the supervisor where you mailed it from. I hope this will turn out well for both of you.

When the problem occurs at the buyers local PO it is extremely helpful if they inquire locally rather than initiate the process at the sellers end(which they may not even start for 30 days). They can often get better and quicker results than would be possible from the sellers side.
I believe this situation has past that stage

Interesting, I'm sure there are variations on the theme probably dependent on the local post office. In my limited experience with these sorts of problems (fortunately) the post office wouldn't tell the receiver diddly about the package since they were not the purchaser of the insurance. As the seller I called the local post office where the package had gone missing and demanded to see the signature confirmation slip. They finally ponied it up and lo and behold it belonged to the mail carrier rather than the person I sent the package to. After I started making that point the package mysteriously showed up at the purchaser's door.

Lesson learned, get on the phone and get local and always get signature required delivery confirmation unless the value is so nominal I can eat the cost. In this case it does in fact sound like the receiver needs to find out where his apartment or housing's package receipt locker is. It is concerning how many people seem to think that the seller is off the hook in this case though. I wonder how they would feel if someone here told them "well I'm really sorry but I shipped your package and the post office says it's there, it's your problem now." I would find that unacceptable.

I get my mail at a post office box and have had items left in the parcel box with the key in the PO box. I found out a long time ago it's a good idea to get to know your mailman/lady personally, leave them cookies, etc, Xmas cards, because they tend to make extra sure you get your things. Not much you can do as the seller except wait and file the claim when you can. As bad as this is, your buyer will just have to be patient.

Interesting, I'm sure there are variations on the theme probably dependent on the local post office.
It may differ by PO. Not that long ago I sent one with signature, that was marked delivered and scribble signed. The buyer was already well into the dispute (same day) before notifying me and had it resolved by the next day. I certainly appreciated the effort he put in. If he hadn't I would have, but certainly glad I didn't have to. Dealing with the PO is always an ordeal.

Squeaky wheel time. If both you and him are calling repeatedly, its more likely they will get things sorted out. Its likely where its supposed to be, but someone has not communicated where that locker is properly, or presumes that he knows where it is. I've had things end up all over the place when it was contract delivered.

We had a recent event where getting the buyers involved was crucial. According to USPS the item had been delivered. I was home that day and did not receive anything including an attempted delivery notification.

Ultimately, the package (from France) was located in the nearby USPS warehouse month(s) later and it took the clerk about 1” to locate.

We scratched our heads wondering how long they would have held onto that package, if they would have ever contacted us, and what they would have done with it eventually.

The seller was useless and couldn’t care less since it was technically “delivered.” I also don’t think he would have been able to resolve the situation from his end.

Interesting, I'm sure there are variations on the theme probably dependent on the local post office. In my limited experience with these sorts of problems (fortunately) the post office wouldn't tell the receiver diddly about the package since they were not the purchaser of the insurance. As the seller I called the local post office where the package had gone missing and demanded to see the signature confirmation slip. They finally ponied it up and lo and behold it belonged to the mail carrier rather than the person I sent the package to. After I started making that point the package mysteriously showed up at the purchaser's door.

Lesson learned, get on the phone and get local and always get signature required delivery confirmation unless the value is so nominal I can eat the cost. In this case it does in fact sound like the receiver needs to find out where his apartment or housing's package receipt locker is. It is concerning how many people seem to think that the seller is off the hook in this case though. I wonder how they would feel if someone here told them "well I'm really sorry but I shipped your package and the post office says it's there, it's your problem now." I would find that unacceptable.

I would have made a beeline straight to the postal inspector's office with that signature confirmation and demanded an investigation. . .

As others have said, "squeaky wheel", by BOTH seller and buyer, contacting the last Post Office to handle the package according to the tracking. The few times I've had issues like this, the package has always been "suddenly located" at the local PO of the buyer. Seller should be on the phone, and buyer should be at their counter. And be polite, but firm, about getting a resolution.

Back