What you need to know if you use ivory for knives, or buy, sell knives with ivory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent a few emails to my representatives in California. I will let you know when and if I get a response.

There is already an elephant ivory ban in effect in Ca., but they are looking at adding Mammoth ivory and all other ivories to the existing law. What it currently says is any part of any animal that is in the endangered species listing, is illegal to sell in the state.

Thanks Sandy, Is that the current ban, or is that the ban that is now pending?

I sent a few emails to my representatives in California. I will let you know when and if I get a response.

Thanks, Please let us know. Please send it to my email or PM me.

Mark,
The part I take objection to is comparing the ivory burn several decades ago to one possibly now by China. Social media is huge there and changing the Chinese buying habits is para mount to ending the poaching of African Elephants.

Today, If the chinese gov had a meaningful change of direct that the gov was getting out of the Ivory biz and had a large burn of "illegal" Ivory the social media there could do a lot to raise awareness and change the buying habits of the younger people just making their money now in china an d that could influence the older generations..

Mark,
The part I take objection to is comparing the ivory burn several decades ago to one possibly now by China. Social media is huge there and changing the Chinese buying habits is para mount to ending the poaching of African Elephants.

Today, If the chinese gov had a meaningful change of direct that the gov was getting out of the Ivory biz and had a large burn of "illegal" Ivory the social media there could do a lot to raise awareness and change the buying habits of the younger people just making their money now in china an d that could influence the older generations..

Maybe, But to me, it's like when women's libbers burned a lot of bras. It was mostly symbolic, it made some people feel good, but it really didn't change anything. Women have progressed at a steady pace regardless. In the end, women still needed bras and a whole lot of women had to go out and buy new bras. If the demand doesn't change, and you get rid of a bunch of material that could have helped lesson the demand you've just put more pressure on the supply. Yao Mings work might do a whole lot more toward changing peoples minds in China.

We don't really know how much these events change social thinking. From my perspective, when the US crushed six tons of ivory, it really changed nothing. The people that like to use and own ivory said "What a shame" and the people that don't said "Good", but nothing really changed. On the other hand the laws of supply and demand have been proven time and time again.

Thanks for adding to constructive discussion.

Mark
The Burning bra analogy doesn't fit be cause the bra's belonged to the women themselves that were burned. OTOH, If the chinese gov is serious about getting out of the ivory biz and shows its people that. It may have a strong effect with people like Yao Ming supporting it possibly could change attitudes about ivory in china.

Mark
The Burning bra analogy doesn't fit be cause the bra's belonged to the women themselves that were burned. OTOH, If the chinese gov is serious about getting out of the ivory biz and shows its people that. It may have a strong effect with people like Yao Ming supporting it possibly could change attitudes about ivory in china.

Well, like I said maybe. I personally don't think so.

Just a few more days to let me know how your legislators answered your comments. On Friday I ask a question for your second chance to enter, and Monday we do the drawing.

Right now there are bills to ban the sale of ivory in these states OK,CA, CT, HI, IA, and WA

DSCF1460_zps4f014498.jpg

Right now there are bills to ban the sale of ivory in these states Oklahoma, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Washington state, Maryland and soon Oregon

Find out how you can help fight these bills and win this set of scales for free by going to

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...vory-for-knives-or-buy-sell-knives-with-ivory

and read the Free Ivory Fridays post in that thread.

You can also win by answering the weekly question. This weeks question is; How can you tell elephant ivory from mammoth ivory? All answers will go into a hat and a winner will be picked at random.

Please read the rules for Free Ivory Fridays in the post #10 of this thread.

Thanks again Mark for your informative posts. i myself have heard nothing further from my CT reps than the "form letter reply" I told you about...

and you are making the Fri question too easy to answer......:D

Bill Flynn

Thanks again Mark for your informative posts. i myself have heard nothing further from my CT reps than the "form letter reply" I told you about...

and you are making the Fri question too easy to answer......:D

Bill Flynn

Thanks Bill, you're in.

Do we answer the question here? OR in email?

This weeks question is; How can you tell elephant ivory from mammoth ivory?

Oh, that's easy, of course there are always the Schreger lines of mammoth are less than 90º, but also mammoth ivory is stained with only some core parts being white like elephant ivory..... I love the browns and tones of mammoth ivory.

Ken H>

Do we answer the question here? OR in email?

This weeks question is; How can you tell elephant ivory from mammoth ivory?

Oh, that's easy, of course there are always the Schreger lines of mammoth are less than 90º, but also mammoth ivory is stained with only some core parts being white like elephant ivory..... I love the browns and tones of mammoth ivory.

Ken H>

You are in the drawing, thanks for playing.

Only one more day to enter the drawing. You have two ways to enter, answer the weekly question or send me the results you got when you contacted your representatives about the ivory bans.

Mark,
Here is my Answer to the question for this weeks drawing.

The Schreger lines of mammoth are less than 90º, Also mammoth ivory is mostly stained with only core parts being white like modern elephant ivory….. The blue tones of mammoth ivory are the most sought after and valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back