What you need to know if you use ivory for knives, or buy, sell knives with ivory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth it to enter if I live in NYS? On the other hand, does it count if I had a face to face conversation with my congressman about this several months ago, because I had that opportunity and I took it then.

Yes, and yes. Tell me what he said.

Yes, and yes. Tell me what he said.

I don't recall specifically what he said, but it was along the lines of needing to look into it more, I sent him an email about it as well just now, I will inform you of his response when I get one.

Last edited:
The question for this weeks Free Ivory Friday is.... Why won't bans on the sale of ivory in the U.S. help stop poaching in Africa. You get extra points if you give an example of other bans that do not work. What have we banned in the U.S. that China has not followed our example and also banned.

The question for this weeks Free Ivory Friday is.... Why won't bans on the sale of ivory in the U.S. help stop poaching in Africa. You get extra points if you give an example of other bans that do not work. What have we banned in the U.S. that China has not followed our example and also banned.

The US is not that large of an importer/user of new Ivory, other bans that don't work are whaling, what with Japans "research", as well as the ban on the usage of lead in paints and stuff like that, seeing as how every once in a while we get toys imported from China with lead paint on them.

The US is not that large of an importer/user of new Ivory, other bans that don't work are whaling, what with Japans "research", as well as the ban on the usage of lead in paints and stuff like that, seeing as how every once in a while we get toys imported from China with lead paint on them.

Good answer.

Does that mean I'm in? I also got an answer to the email I sent to my congressman, but it was just a form letter saying that I could expect a response in the next few weeks.

Yep, you are in twice, once for the answer and once for the reply from your congressman. Let me know if you hear from him again. Thanks Mark

To answer the question of the week... Banning the sale of ivory in the US won't help because the US isn't driving the price of illegal ivory. As long as a poacher can get significantly more money in other countries like China, there is going to be very little trade in the US. I contacted Senator McConnell of Kentucky. I'll be sure to let you know what his response is.

DSCF1627_zpsk97nbyx5.jpg

This is this week ivory.

I have put everyone in that gave me an answer.....

and the winner for this weeks Free Ivory Friday is Ken H. Ken, send me your shipping info.

Thanks to all that played, see you again Friday.

Would you like to win these mammoth ivory scales?

DSCF1640_zpsdzxuvo2z.jpg

You can enter in two ways, either answer the question of the week or tell me what results you got when you contacted your legislators about the ivory bans. If you answer the legislator question your name is in every week automatically. Answer both questions and you are in twice this week.

This weeks question is; What is name (or acronym) of the international organization tasked with job of tracking the numbers of elephants poached and the trade routes of illicit ivory?

Would you like to win this ivory?

DSCF1659_zpsfg4qmqyg.jpg

You can enter in two ways, answer the weekly question or let us know what results you got when you contacted your legislators about the ivory bans.

This weeks question is; In what states is it now illegal to sell pre-act elephant and mammoth ivory in, and in what states have we beaten the bills to make pre-act elephant ivory and mammoth ivory illegal?

Need for Action in CT and NV – Good News About Defeating State Bans – No Fed Regs Yet
We have been successfully pushing back against state ivory bans. Before discussing this good news, though, we need people to help defeat a proposed bans in Connecticut and Nevada.
Connecticut’s legislative process is opaque and confusing. The currently proposed ivory ban has survived one committee and is either going to the full legislature for a vote or will be referred back to another committee for further review. Among other flaws, this bill defines ivory as the tooth or tusk of any animal – a definition that includes fossils, shark teeth, even the teeth in the mouth of a puppy for sale at a pet store. This is the kind of nonsense that happens when animal activists try to push through legislation banning wildlife products that have nothing to do with scientifically based conservation principles.
We need as many people as possible to contact key Connecticut legislators to make sure this bill goes back to committee where this bill’s flaws can be exposed. Especially if you are from New York or Connecticut, please contact both Speaker Brendan Sharkey at http://www.housedems.ct.gov/sharkey/contact.asp and Majority Leader Joe Aresimowicz at http://www.housedems.ct.gov/aresimowicz/contact.asp . You can download a sample letter for use in creating your own e-mail or as a guide to a phone call by clicking the following: http://cqrcengage.com/elephantprotection/file/ghP4MDyvI3s/Connecticut Sample Letter.pdf Time is of the essence – this bill could move any day now.
On the other side of the country, there’s an ivory ban bill pending in Nevada (BDR 52-1022) scheduled for a hearing this Friday morning in the Senate Commerce and Labor Committee. Calls and e-mails to members of this committee can help inform them of the pitfalls of domestic ivory bans. This bill has a 20% exemption for antiques and an exemption for sale (but not repair or maintenance) of musical instruments. Contact committee members http://openstates.org/nv/committees/NVC000020/commerce-labor-and-energy/ .
Other Ivory Bans
Notwithstanding HSUS’s efforts, legislators who learn about the flawed thinking behind ivory bans have been slow to advance them, typically resulting in bills that die in committee. Some Examples:
Washington State – ivory ban stalled after hearings in both houses and futile attempts to make amendments that ultimately didn’t fix anything
Maryland – failed to advance out of committee after a hearing that included an 8 year old boy who collected fossils asked legislators how criminalizing teeth from animals that died long ago helps elephants being killed in Africa today
Hawaii – ivory ban bill amended to delay going into effect for over 20 years (2038!) is stalled and will probably languish in committee
Illinois – ivory ban bill voted down in committee, but may come back again in another form
Rhode Island – committee hearing on ivory ban deferred and yet to be rescheduled
Vermont – in committee and unclear whether it can advance during this legislative session
Virginia – ivory ban died in committee
Florida, Oklahoma, Iowa, Arkansas – bills introduced, but not appearing to go anywhere fast
The two states where local residents need to get involved to inform their legislators before things get worse:
Massachusetts – Bill introduced
California – Very stringent bill introduced and still pending
You can find information about these bills on our website, http://elephantprotection.org/elephantprotection/
Thanks for keeping up the fight!

its kinda mean to kill an elephant just for the ivory.

Proton, you are right, it is mean to kill an elephant just for his ivory. You realize though that no one here is advocating that we should be doing that or supporting those that do. We are all against the poaching of elephants.

What this thread is about is the use of legal ivory. What people that use legal ivory need to know to stay out of trouble. What we can do to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. I think if you had read this thread you would have realized that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back