Whatchya cookin?

We were going to eat half but ate all of them, lol! They were great.

Gonna show y'all some Wonton makin' when I get out of the mineshaft. And maybe some more Sieu Thi Hung Vuong cutlery aisle pics too. :D

Mesquite smoked for 4 hours! I just used two fist sized pieces of mesquite and slowly smoked them for a low heat.

Pork loin and ribs!

well this should of happend two days ago, but im just gonna have to make up for lost time I guess.....breakfast is the best meal BTW (and I love cooking it!)

Morning #1, I think this came out egg-cellent:D

Omelette in the making!
image_zps7b6f10a3.jpg

The fold.
image_zps0903176d.jpg

The results!!!!! (I blame the toaster for my almost burnt bagel, on the lowest setting it will come out black....)
image_zpsd54816ba.jpg

Morning #2, AKA bacon time:cool:

Bringing it up to room temp.
image_zpsaa9e8c15.jpg

Baking my bacon:D
image_zpscf2f5161.jpg

Oh yes, this is a freaking bacon pancake:cool:
image_zps7793ad17.jpg

Now for my omelette making technique.

Stuff you need:
)8" frying pan
)spatula/pancake flipper (lol)
)fork
)bowl

Ingredients
)2 or 3 eggs
)about a table spoon of butter
)salt /pepper/cyan (alternatively skip the salt/cyan, and just use Tabasco)
)a small amout of sharp cheddar
)optionally ketchup

1, Crack your eggs into your bowl
2, beat the eggs (I've heard of people using a fork for this, I prefer a baseball bat or folding chair)
3, put butter in pan and turn on low heat until the butter melts
4, tilt the pan around around until there's an even coating of butter on the hole pan
5, turn pan up to medium/high heat until the butter gets hot (dont burn it! I good indication of when it's ready is a slight nutty smell)
6, pour the eggs into pan
7, go around the edge of the pan and using your fork pull the cooked egg into the center, then tilt the pan to fill the gap left by the eggs you move to the center
8, so once you can't repeat step 7, you should have relatively flat pancake like disk of eggs, you should now tour the heat to the lowest setting
9, this part is like cooking a pancake, you're waiting for the bottom to cook long enough so that you can flip it and cook the other side
10, once it's almost ready to flip turn the heat up to high and flip it with your spatula
11, add your cheese and turn down the heat
12, fold the omelette, season and enjoy!!!!!

Cheers!

-niner

Looking good!

I can tell you used a folding chair on those by the fluffyness. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice job too, I haven't made an omelet in a while and that looks perfect!

Start with a pack of these. All Asian supermarkets I've ever seen have them, and even some Whole Foods-type joints do, in my experience. Set aside one beaten egg in a cup, with a basting brush.
photo_zps5a793316.jpg

Then, using approx. 1/2# ground pork, 1/4c tofu, 2tbsp cornstarch, and 1tbsp each soy sauce, dry vermouth or cooking sherry (or chinese cooking wine!), and a few drops of sesame oil, 1/8c chopped scallion greens, 1tsp each chopped ginger and garlic, beat mixture in a bowl with a fork till you have this:

photo_zps6a281cb5.jpg

Spooning a scant 1tsp into the middle of each wonton wrapper, brush two adjoining sides with beaten egg, and pinch closed around the mixture, eliminating air pockets. You should wind up with a triangle.

photo_zpsd5e2bf39.jpg

Becomes this:

photo_zps35d27356.jpg

Then, brush one corner like this,

photo_zps016e76a7.jpg

and bring the other corner around the back to meet it. Pinch them together firmly, getting you one of these:

photo_zpsb9e81c8d.jpg

Now you have Wontons. Simmer them in some boiled, salted water for three or four minutes till they're firm, then transfer them to some chicken stock that's been brought to a boil. For added "Chinese", simmer the stock while you prep the 'tons with some sliced fresh ginger and the whites from your chopped scallions. Remove before serving.

Bako, Rolf, Daniel, you guys have any preference for an immersion blender? I need a new one, I much prefer to use it for my omelets rather than my blender. I do settle for a stiff whisk now, but the immersion blender is much nicer.

Nothing special to eat here, just pasta with whatever we could find in the fridge. Ground turkey, onion, crimini mushroom, corn off the cob, and bloody mary mix. Done with a light tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes.

-X

Looking good Bako!

I worked at a place where we used a recipe a bit like that and they were awesome! Those wrappers are pretty easy to find and versatile as can be.

Your post reminded me that we made them with Ginger Tamarind sauce we also made and sold to Whole Foods. That was a while back, one of the original stores was down the street.

Immersion Blender - most I have used were 4' long, overkill for the house but great for impressing guests!

I forget the brand of the one we have but it was something I picked up in the thrift store... I'll look once Jade is up. being quiet and sneaky right now... :D

Last edited:
Yup. I've been known to use those skins in desserts, too. Fry 'em up and they're perfect for layering with whipped cream and fruit compotes/purees as little Napoleons. Steamed potato and peas, fried = Samosas. Mashed spiced pumpkin and riccotta, steamed = Angnolotti.

Yup. I've been known to use those skins in desserts, too. Fry 'em up and they're perfect for layering with whipped cream and fruit compotes/purees as little Napoleons. Steamed potato and peas, fried = Samosas. Mashed spiced pumpkin and riccotta, steamed = Angnolotti.

You're killing me! I just threw away a pack of old ones two days ago.

We would put chocolate chips in a wrapper, deep fry it and coat in powdered sugar for a quick snack on the line, lol. Dip in creme anglaise...

Potstickers too! Puree some cooked shrimp with green onions, ginger, garlic and other goodies.

I miss good Samosas, in the Caribbean they are huge. Samosas, Rotis and meat pies are the staple to-go food.

Fill 'em with pureed raw shrimp, and they get nice and fluffy inside when you fry or steam 'em. Very versatile little product!

BTW, I make some pretty whoopass Pakora, too.

Shred or chop just about anything, bring it together with beaten egg and chick pea flour. Season up with a little madras powder, and you're GTG. Tamarind and mint sauce, and Ravinder's your Uncle!

Caribbean black beans and rice... coconut sauce with beans, turmeric rice and some extras.. on a bed of spinach and topped with pickled onions, feta, and a couple slices of English cucumber. Served with a tortilla. All organic, I'm a freak about that sort of thing... support what you believe in. All from scratch (otherwise why post it in here, yes?).

EAT!

SAM_4063_resize.jpg

It's way easier than knife makin', Farchyld! There's simple rules to follow, and Bob's your Uncle.

If knife making were as easy as what I do for a living, we'd all be Phil Hartsfield. If I could trade lessons in one for lessons in another, I'd be golden! I've bartered some basic skill "Boot Camps" for stuff like a year's membership at the range, or medical treatment for my cat after I'd run out of money, but access to guidance in person would be coolest.

If you grow up with a mom who works 60-70 hours a week, you learn to cook. In high school I took food preparation every year. Got to eat in class and there was a 10/1 girl boy ratio. What's better than that? You want to know what's better? Be the best cook in the class, and everyone wants to be in your group. Well hello ladies! Lol

Back