Whatchya cookin?

Man, its hot outside, had a lousy day at work and got a nice surprise when I got home!

The wife made a big salad with the pear tomatoes, cucumber and bell pepper from the garden! She made it better by buying me beer and then telling me she was going out with friends for the night!

2013-06-29200715_zpsac16cc8e.jpg

Sometimes cooking just doesn't cut it.

-X

My parents were trained chefs. So I was able to get the basics down. Let me know if you care to have any of the recipes. Growing up in NYC I was able to try a lot of cuisines and experiment with my own recipes.

Chinese roast pork marinated with mojo, if you flipped it skin side down it would have become a Puerto Rican Pernil
387901_10150534142103399_1372431395_n.jpg

Best fried rice on earth, my mother's recipe, scallions, shrimp, chinese sausage, peas, eggs, roast pork, chinese duck liver sausage, oyster mushrooms
9717_128037273398_906824_n.jpg

Chicken coconut curry soup with NJ bi-color corn
428443_10151029818098399_1489419987_n.jpg

Italian vegetable soup, shaved parmesan
60701_10151259350518399_2055022491_n.jpg

Spinach salad, homemade croutons
9717_128090693398_1927061_n.jpg

Really good job on this!

Marinate 1" cubes of 'fu in some soy, a little oyster sauce, and two drops of dark sesame oil.

photo_zps1d136208.jpg

Whip up 3 large egg whites into stiff meringue:

photo_zps3ce47b93.jpg

Then, use Wheat Starch Powder. NOT flour!!!

photo_zps6506ffaa.jpg

Gently fold in enough to make your 'fu a nice, thick, gloppy coating. The complete opposite of anything the French would approve of. You're going to be cooking this to death and back, till the coating is rock hard. That way when it's drenched in shiny, corn starch-y "Chinese" sauce, it'll remain somewhat crunchy.

photo_zps2adc383d.jpg

Then, take a small handful, and gently drop them around the interior of your c.350F cooking oil:

photo_zps9bc0f5f1.jpg

Like so:
photo_zps5598a03f.jpg

Crank your Wok so you can stay as close to 350F as possible. Mine is a 48K BTU equivalent Induction unit from CookTek that can boil a cup of water in 8 seconds. Cook 'em till they look like this, then remove to some paper towel and promptly introduce whatever sauce you like. Today I did "General Tso", which is just apple juice, some sugar, some vinegar, some ketchup, and red pepper flakes all thickened up with the usual corn starch/water slurry.

The 'Fu:

photo_zps81295f27.jpg

Zai Jin, Bak Gwai! :D

* Later, White Devils!

Wow cchu518! You must be a pro, nice work!

Here's a recipe for you guys to play with...

White BBQ Sauce

2/3 cup mayo
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
juice from one lemon
~2 tbs sugar
Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper to taste
salt

Mix and BBQ! It's great as a dipping/BBQ/basting sauce or even marinade. Play with the ratios until it is just right...

I've got paella on the brain today, anyone have any good recipes? I'm thinkin about dragging out the hibachi for it and the big cast iron pan or borrow my moms old school carbon steel wok. I don't have a paella pan, and don't want to buy one, but still like to eat it!

-X

fresh seasonal local ingredients... wing it! I wish I had a good recipe but have had great luck in the past.

Yeah, that's the norm in this house, but I do need to get some good saffron. I think I know a dealer, lol! I'm thinking fish and crab, no clams or mussels though - Brandi doesn't like them. There is an awesome meat cutter locally that has the best anduille sausage I have ever had! I think I might throw it in there as well.

-X

Paella was a peasant's dish originally, i found its best with whatever you have that is fresh. I generally go traditional and use rabbits I get during the cold seasons. With fish, I love to use monk fish in it as it holds up very well, halibut or grouper also works well in it if you add them to the pan a bit later in the cooking. The Anduille would make bricks taste delicious.

I love rabbit, but there is no way in hell I am ever going to make that fly in this house! We have two pet rabbits, and the wife is almost a vegetarian.

I can get all kinds of fresh or live fish here, my uncle owns a seafood shop here in town. I guess I'll just see what I can dig up. No shortage of fresh ingrediants here.

-X

I love rabbit, but there is no way in hell I am ever going to make that fly in this house! We have two pet rabbits, and the wife is almost a vegetarian.

I can get all kinds of fresh or live fish here, my uncle owns a seafood shop here in town. I guess I'll just see what I can dig up. No shortage of fresh ingrediants here.

-X

Lol I feel for you, my wife is the same way, I was eating lobster one day and she says to me that I am eating one of her "friends."

-X

Lol I feel for you, my wife is the same way, I was eating lobster one day and she says to me that I am eating one of her "friends."

If we weren't meant to eat animals, then they wouldn't be made of meat.

-X :D

Just grilled this up tonight. Hamachi Kama aka grilled yellow fin collar. This is a inexpensive, very fatty, oily and succulent cut of yellow fin. And by oily I mean you get the juice of the cooked fish on your hands, you better have some Lava or it (the smell) is not coming off.

GPse2eT.jpg

dCPi8v4.jpg

0bmdV4n.jpg

Just salt and pepper the fish hard, coat with extra virgin and grill 7 to 10 mins on each side, spinning the actual grill from indirect to direct while cooking. I don't eat the skin so I blacken it pretty hard. DO NOT over cook this fish. If anything, under cook it. I like mine warm, not hot, in the middle.

Salt, pepper, extra virgin, the asparagus and cook over direct coals (against the grill grate) until desired temp.

Crack a cold beer (Coors original imc.) and grub.

That's a nice cut of hamachi. I don't know what I'm having for dinner yet, but had a great lunch. Prociutto, swiss, roasted red peppers, wax peppers (local fav, Bruno's), little mayo and mustard on fresh focaccia. Its all a man needs!

-X

It's hot, so tonight its cold chard salad with feta cheese and fresh French bread.

Back