What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

You guys,

I haven't touched my grinder in 8 months. I've got a full time "real job" now. But holy Sh** if this thread doesn't bring me to damn near tears.

This thread has been going for 7 years. 7 damn years. Its wild to think of all that has transpired in that time. But here we are, and this thread still soldiers on.

That's what makes this community so special. Knife making is more than creating something sharp and pointy. Its a metaphor for life. And I can tell you this, the reason I am where I am now is because of the lessons learned in the shop. It's because of this forum. There is nothing else like this out there. What an incredible place to share ideas and grow.

Guys, I'll be back. The shop is packed up now. I'm cutting my teeth in the "real world." But this is the place where it all started. This is the place where I learned the most valuable lessons. This is the place where I became who I am. Long hours at the grinder spent alone. And I'd come home to this forum and share my progress with you guys. Nick Wheeler would comment. Nick Fu**ing Wheeler. It was crazy. What a time of growth and character building.

So guys, I'll just say this. Keep on going. Lets keep doing this. There's nothing else like it. Once I'm done with my career, the first thing I'm going to do is this. Get a garage. Get a mill. Set up the grinder, and go to work again. Back to where it all started. There's nothing in the world like this community. I hope this thread is still going when I return. Until then, keep on building stuff. Keep on growing. That's what its all about.

this is the last of the thin O1 stock I bought some 19 years ago now. Had one long, thin piece, so decided to make something japanese/sushi like to continue developing my Wa handle approaches. Not quite the correct shape towards the tip - but best to call this a Sujihiki. O1, flat ground both sides, tbe ~0.005", handle (Wa - "D) is grey Dymondwood (bolster and butt) with copper separators and purpleheart (I think) main handle. Being the mathy nerd I am - the relative dimensions of the pieces making up the bolster and end cap are calculated from the "Golden Ratio". I kind of like the look.... (despite appearances - the balance point is almost exactly at the ricasso. blind luck) time to make some Sushi for dinner!
upload_2020-2-21_12-38-33.png
upload_2020-2-21_12-38-53.png

I got a call from my friend to go and look at a new toy in his shop.................And I think that he'll regret calling me :D I think that I will make another one folder:rolleyes:
Guys , this fiber laser are .................are miracle :eek:
I also received a gift :cool:
Crazy !!
brezwoJ.jpg

TtVp2cX.jpg

Here is my second slip joint 52100 carbon steel with OD green Micarta and G10 liners. This was another tough one for me but in hindsight a priceless learning experience. The spring broke at the pivot pin, and I almost threw it all out. I made a new spring as a salvage attempt. Then took 4 tries to get scales, the support disc came out during drilling (I just saw a jig on AVigil AVigil Adam's instagram that will remedy that, then the pivot started to come apart during sharpening on the Lanksy, so redid that. I am not using the right tapered counter sink. AVigil AVigil sent me a link of one to get so that issue will hopefully resolve next time. But I finished this one out and it works ok.
This design is from @Stang Bladeworks tutorial.
8v28eHB.jpg

sw7y5pL.jpg

hX7pof7.jpg

hwv4wEz.jpg

7I6LUEf.jpg

ashwinearl ashwinearl

Keep it up. I have chucked more then one screwing up.

Bit of advice. Grind your swedge first then cut your nail knick. That will keep from grinding into the nick.

What diameter pivot pin are you using?

Now that the three piece Damascus set is gone, I can work on a couple other projects. I ground and heat treated this one yesterday. It’s W2/15n20, that I welded with a W2 core to get a bit more out of the billet. I didn’t worry about keeping the core centered. The billet had some delaminatiins, so this was how I saved it after cutting off the bad sections. It’s about 180 layers. Hard to tell with the amount I had to scrap.

2ECA63F2-30B7-457E-A3C4-473AB7F73B55 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

5327518D-4D9F-4A13-8399-5B85C9D6BE61 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

I glued up the handle tonight.

Last edited:
Beautiful Avigil, it is hard to make out the materials. What metals are the bird eye pivot?

Back