What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

That's fantastic, Sean! How did you get the shield in there? How did you get the wood to be perfectly flush with the bolster?

Was that from a kit? Did you design it yourself? The shape looks perfect. How is the pull?

I'd sooooo like to be able to get a bunch of springs, blades, and bolsters from someone and then I'd finish it off.

I am learning to make slipjoints and seem to be making every mistake possible....
Thanks, bud. I cut out my shield and mill the handle pocket with a dremel. It is easier to get acceptable results than I guessed it would be before I tried. I have a series of pictures up of the process on my Instagram page. Getting everything flush is just a matter of sanding and having enough material to not sand through too much. It was not from a kit. I used a Tony Bose pattern. I can send you a link for it if you like. The pull is good. Not crazy soft, but my wife can open it no problem. It is easily pinchable, which helps.

I keep making countless mistakes, but I have found that progress is quick if you enjoy it enough to keep spending time. Plus I get so much help from the community here and elsewhere, that it is starting to look like I may actually know what I am doing!

Working on some lightweight EDC stuff. It's what I like doing the most at this point.
LYBKGkO.jpg

My brother is expecting his first grandson soon and wanted a knife for him. He went to Bladeshow with me this year and picked out some materials. AEB-L and some hybrid wood scales. Overall length is just 6.25 inches. He plans to give it to him on the day he is born. A true "birthday" present.

8-B951706-3-E4-D-47-B6-B15-E-BFDF9-DE22765.jpg

060-AD31-B-AEEE-40-DD-8-C19-BB0-BEDD8470-B.jpg

B1315690-2739-4309-BFEF-AF1-D4-A36-E088.jpg

Thanks, bud. I cut out my shield and mill the handle pocket with a dremel. It is easier to get acceptable results than I guessed it would be before I tried. I have a series of pictures up of the process on my Instagram page. Getting everything flush is just a matter of sanding and having enough material to not sand through too much. It was not from a kit. I used a Tony Bose pattern. I can send you a link for it if you like. The pull is good. Not crazy soft, but my wife can open it no problem. It is easily pinchable, which helps.

I keep making countless mistakes, but I have found that progress is quick if you enjoy it enough to keep spending time. Plus I get so much help from the community here and elsewhere, that it is starting to look like I may actually know what I am doing!
Do you have a link to those pics? I'd love to see them as well but can't find my way on instagram

I over-built my quench tank​

I got tired of using an ammo can on a hot plate. So I decided to build something out of scrape and use a real heater.

It only holds 2 gallons. So, 33lbs of 3/16th steel was probably not necessary. But heck, sometimes over kill is fun!

IMG_6425 2.jpegIMG_6419-2.jpegIMG_6422.jpeg

There's a bracket on the bottom to hold up the heater in the tank and a 'box' on the outside to store it.

Back