What's in that mysterious wooden box

Gollnick

Musical Director
I got the go ahead to reveal the mysterious wooden box's contents.

Then, I went to find the pictures and could not.

Then, I got the momumental feeling of doom.
Yesterday, I erased one of the memory cards for my new digital camera in order to make room for some other pictures.

Now I know that I erased the wrong card.

So, what's in the box?

Well, the Benchmade Spear point that you've already seen and one very much like it but with a different anodized handle pattern. The one they're showing is closest to what the production plan is. These, by the way, will be offered as limited editions similar to what the 49 has been. I don't have a schedule.

Several 49s. These are the new 49s that will become available over the course of the year. One has stainless handles with the classic skeleton pattern. The other has stainless handles with a brushed finish and black carbon fiber inserts.

These will be handled much like the previous round of 49s in limited editions. I'm hopeful that current owners of 49s will be given some priority on their serial numbers. We'll see.

By the way, BM is NOT taking orders for these yet. So, don't tie up the phones calling. They'll announce it when they're ready. Schedule? Sometime this year. Hopefully sooner than later. But, I think that BM has recently learned a bit about announcing dates as they've had unexpected trouble with Damasteel and with MIM handles. So, my guess is that they're going to be a bit reserved about dates on these.

Finally, there were the magnetic latched pieces. You've now see two of them. Notice that the two that you've seen have handles that are quite different. I could have shown you three more. Most likely, only one or two of the concepts will make it into production. Some of them are Aluminum and some are stainless (the difference is dramatic). The possibility of Ti has also been discussed but was simply not ready in time for Shot. Keep in mind that this design, also, is months and months away from production.

I am deeply sorry about the pictures. Please keep in mind that I'm still getting into this digital stuff. I'll try to get an opportunity to take them again maybe next week when everyone and everything is back from Shot and recovered.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Nooo....

I'm crying in agony.

I hope that the bali gods look good upon you and give u an opportunity to retake those pics.

Originally posted by Gollnick
By the way, BM is NOT taking orders for these yet.
Not true. Travis told me they will be tak,ing orders up to 49-06, with the Carbon Fiber version designated as the 49-02, as indicated by Jeff Yao a while back. We now know one of them will be the classical skeletal, which now leave 3 different handle treatments to be determined. I also spoke to Christine, and as of right now, they can't guarantee the same numbers to current 49 owners, but that could change if the 49 owner stand up and make it an issue.
I am deeply sorry about the pictures.
No biggie, but it was a two part question. So, who was that man? So far I partially got the part of bali's being ready for the SHOT Show :D

Yeah I kinda figured... am I willing to accept that you can't get us pics...no. Why not try to use you powers for good instead of evil?

will all of these 49-02 thru 49-06 and such be kriss style blades?

Originally posted by Dan GSR
will all of these 49-02 thru 49-06 and such be kriss style blades?
Yes, all Model 49's will carry the Kris blade. And if all goes well, they will all have some type of those nice SS handles you like so much.

Actually, there is a non SS handle being considered, but it is extraordinary and I am, of course, sworn to secrecy.

The kriss blade is great to look at but its not very practical.

Originally posted by tonyccw
So, who was that man?
We've just been told there's a big wooden crate out there somewhere full of sweet balisongs, and all Tony care about is who the guy holding the box is... ;)

I really hope you can get some more pics for us, Chuck. I'd really really love that. Don't feel to bad, by the way. You probably feel so terrible right now for erasing those pics and not being able to share them with us, that when you can retake them, you'll take twice as many, and they will all be twice as good! :D Or what, Chuck? :p

Just one little more thing though, Chucky... If it's true that the box was full of balis, why were you supposed to post the thread in the General Discussion forum? What the hell does that have to do with balisongs?! :p ;)

Chuck so the spear will be only a "limited run" or is it production? The handles shown seem to be the same as on normal production.

I sent an email out to one of my dealers before the rest of the thread loaded. :D

Mike

Is the spearpoint going to be essentially fully double edged as the kriss is (1" sweet spot doesn't count!)?

So many knives, so little time (aka. money)!!

So will the rest of the 49-0x peices be as costly as the 49-01?

We've just been told there's a big wooden crate out there somewhere full of sweet balisongs, and all Tony care about is who the guy holding the box is...

I can't reveal his identity just yet. In a couple of days I'll make Tony happy.

Chuck so the spear will be only a "limited run" or is it production?

Last I heard, the plan is to make it another limited runner similar to the 49 perhaps doing an assortment of handle types for it too. But, I'm hopeful that at least the simple skeletonized version will become a more standard product.

Is the spearpoint going to be essentially fully double edged as the kriss is?

No. It's single-edged as it comes out of the box. Keep in mind that double-edged knives are illegal in a lot of places. But, the spine is profiled thin enough that if you want to sharpen it, it won't be to much of a problem. I don't remember the exact dimension, but there is a legal definition (as I recall, it's a NY law so Tony may know the answer for us) of how profiled an edge can be before it's considered a blade. BM is taking the spine on this one right up to the limit.

I'm still gonna suggest that if you want yours sharpened that you think twice about your own sharpening skills. While it won't be that difficult, this is a reprofiling job and a bit more of an opportunity to screw up than your average edge touch-up. If you don't think that you're a great sharpener, you might want to have this done for you. I'll only suggest that you give this some consideration. You'll have to make the call yourself.

If it's true that the box was full of balis, why were you supposed to post the thread in the General Discussion forum?

I don't know. I'm sorry. I'd like to say that the forum software goofed, but in all reality, it was probably I that goofed. Fortunately, we got it all straightened out.

Sorry.

So will the rest of the 49-0x peices be as costly as the 49-01?

Oh yes. And why shouldn't they be? The 49-01s sold out in a matter of days. Months later, they are selling, if you can find one, for twice the original retail price. If I ran BM, and you're lucky that I don't, I'd raise the price. That Kris blade is extraordinary.

If you haven't seen one of these, you can't appreciate that. Nobody has yet to take an adequate picture that I've seen. Without wanting to seem to brag, I'm getting close to developing a technique to capture these blades photographically. I hope to present some really good pictures soon and convince all of you who have not had the opportunity to see one of these in person that they are worth the price.

The kriss blade is great to look at but its not very practical.

Well, there is some truth to that. These with their zero-bevel grind and high polish, are really show pieces it's true.

The kris in general is not really a great utility profile, true. But, it is very practical for what it's intended for.

No. It's single-edged as it comes out of the box.

Nutz! But for the opposite reasons. Right now I am looking for excuses, any excuses, not to buy particular balis. Double edged is one of them (I like to flip them and I'm not that good/crazy :). Now I'll either have to get one or else come up with another reason not too... urrgghh. Heh.

At least the kris's are out. That would be too much 6*$600?? :)

Several 49s. These are the new 49s that will become available over the course of the year... The other has stainless handles with a brushed finish and black carbon fiber inserts.

Do you know what kind of inlay?
PLEASE BE a double "dove tail" inlay!
Just asking because I have never purchased a bali more expensive than my 47, but I would like a nice collector's bali. And I know the 49's will sell out fast, so if I know about the handles, that will seal the deal!

any info is GREATLY appriciated!

Shrubba

All the 49s will have kris blades? That means there will be 7 limited run krises... So the handles are really the only thing that's gonna change? Perhaps a couple of damascus krises? :D

Anyway, if there's gonna be 7 krises, they better change the handles pretty much... The wooden inlay (although it's nice, yes) has already been used... TWICE. And now we hear something about other inlays... Are they all gonna be inlay models?

Bah, enough of my chit-chat - I can't wait to see some pics of them when they come out (cause that's most like the only thing I'll see of them ;)).

If it's true that the box was full of balis, why were you supposed to post the thread in the General Discussion forum?
I don't know. I'm sorry. I'd like to say that the forum software goofed, but in all reality, it was probably I that goofed. Fortunately, we got it all straightened out.

Sorry.
Stop appologizing yourself, you poor thing. No biggy - mistakes happen! ...Just not as often with others that with you... JUST KIDDING! :D We all know you'll make it up to us by give us some brand new exciting pics of the wodden box. ;)

I would like to see SS handles with carbon fiber inserts and a spearpoint blade. I want something without a double edge. I plan on using it.

Only thing I can think of that Kriss blades would be used for is fighting.

In a couple of days I'll make Tony happy.
I hope you're not doing strictly on my acount. As I stated, it was a two part question and we know the answer to the "box" part, just not the "who" part.
I don't remember the exact dimension, but there is a legal definition (as I recall, it's a NY law so Tony may know the answer for us) of how profiled an edge can be before it's considered a blade. BM is taking the spine on this one right up to the limit.
I'm not aware of a definition that classifies a spine's thickness before it becomes an edge under NYS or NYC rules. I do know that this topic first came up in the late 80's when Bob Terzuola made his ATCF with a full spine/thin bevel swedge and there was some legality issue he had to address. Still, if anyone knows about this I would be interested in seeing the statute.

Months later, they are selling, if you can find one, for twice the original retail price.

Really?!?! I certainly believe you, but havnt personally seen one for sale in quite some time. The SPL that was on ebay didn't even hit the reserve if i remember correctly, and neither did the one 49-01 that i saw on Bladeauction. Being a collector and owner of a 49-01 i try to keep track of this stuff as best i can without any "inside sources", and the only information i recall hearing was that it actually took BM a bit to sell all the 49-01's. In fact my dealer ended up with an extra and i was fortunate enough to put a fellow forumite in touch with him...Was it the 49SPL you were reffering to when you said they sold out in a matter of days? If that was the case, it was more like negative days, a significant amount of time before the project was even announced!

So if you dont mind my asking, when and where have 49-01's gone for almost twice retail?

Then, I went to find the pictures and could not.

Then, I got the momumental feeling of doom.
Yesterday, I erased one of the memory cards for my new digital camera in order to make room for some other pictures.

Now I know that I erased the wrong card.

Chuck,
Did you view the pictures on your computer at all? Or did you just preview them on your camera? I know that with mine, if I transfer them to look at them on the computer, they get cataloged and tranfered to a folder deep in the tree with the same name as the catalog. For example, mine looks something like this
C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView4\Images\20011231-222642

HTH

Mike

Back