1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

what's in your hollow handle

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by sicily02, Jan 29, 2007.

1. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    I keep a sparking tool, several small number 4 and 6 fishing hooks, cotton
    balls with mix of vaseline, 20lb fireline fishing line wrapped around a large
    paper clip, 2 large eye needles, and one scalpal blade wrapped in foil (for use as possible fishing lures.) I also wrap 50lb braided line around the handle.:D

2. NickZac

NickZac

Mar 26, 2006
    Nothing as of now...for a while I put a condom in it simply because I could.

3. Buddiiee

Buddiiee

Jan 24, 2007
    I was going to ask this same question. For now, Id just stuff it full of brit lifeboat matches. the sharpening stone in the sheath would get replaced with an issue magbar, and i can wrap pretty much anything with fishing line. at least id have that.

4. T.K.C.

T.K.C.

May 7, 2005
    I have nothing in my hollow handle, at the moment.

5. jprice76

jprice76

Nov 22, 2005
    Neither do I, I've been trying to assemble a good kit ever since I got my Mtn. II a few weeks ago...havent gotten it quite right yet. Hopefully this thread will give me some ideas.:)

6. westllen

westllen

Feb 17, 2006
    fish hooks, 60lb. nylon, lg. needle, nato matches, sm. striker stick, Vaselined cotton balls, 6 iodine tablets,2-motrin 800mg. pills, button sas-compass, 2-band-aids, $20.00 bill.
    For all else ....." Buddha Provide":D

7. NickZac

NickZac

Mar 26, 2006
    What do the Vaseline cotton balls do? Absorb moisture? Additionally, where do you guys get the strike on anything matches?!

8. flipe8

flipe8

Oct 24, 2005
    The petrolium in the Vaseline makes for good fire-starter.

9. westllen

westllen

Feb 17, 2006
    it also keeps them dryer and the petroleum assists with stabilizing the fire, rub some on and squeeze it to a smaller size. do a google search for Nato survival matches or even hurricane matches.
    jules

or try here! for NATO MATCHES & STRIKE ANYWHERE MATCHES THE NEXT LINK

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/sear...efault.asp+KW+Box&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=matches

http://www.emergencyresources.com/er_p11.html

mods delete, if the link is inappropriate! thanks

10. sicily02

sicily02

Nov 23, 2005
    Afew years back i put in the iodine tabs and it started the inside of my project I to looking like it had rust in it. The sparking tool and cotton take care of using and keeping matches for me it i need a match just grab a twig
    and wrap some cotton on it and i now have a match. The twig can be any lenght you need and will stay lit many times longer than a match will try and seehow lond a q-tip does. take two cotton balls and set them side by side one with no vaseline mixed in it, and one with it in there and then light them. the one with no vaseline in it will burn about 30 seconds the one with the vaseline in it should burn well past the 5 min. mark with a flame of 4 to 6 inchs. one thing i will be putting in my handle and my wifes is a tweezers from a swiss army knife that read about tonight. thanks for the responses
    and hope this helps with those who are wanting to put some thing together.
    I think a small plastic bag for water carry would be a good idae too but my project II is attcached to my nalgene water bootle carrier so water is covered. talk to ya later
    Bryan

11. Helle

Helle

Dec 9, 2005
    2- petroleum cotton balls
    1 - WSI key chain hot spark.

Helle

12. SurviveAl

SurviveAl

Aug 30, 2002
    Coffee !
    Seattle's Best Breakfast blend to be exact.
    I have a mag fire starter and paracord wrapped on the sheath. I can build shelter and fire. Add a cup of hot coffee and I've moved from Surviving to Camping....:p
    Allan

13. erispoë

erispoë

Jun 19, 2005
    Can you fit a little bic lighter in the hollow handle? it would be pretty much better to start a fire than any matches or sparking tool. And you can start a lot of fires before it runs out of gas, enough for several weeks i think. these are very tough lighters, will work whenever you need it, even several years after you buy it.

it may not be as cool as NATO matches but i assume it's a better choice. what do you think?

14. jprice76

jprice76

Nov 22, 2005
    What if its raining? Your hands are wet..you try to light a fire, wet hands=wet lighter(or flint wheel), then you wont be starting any fires. I think waterproof matches or especially a sparking tool are way more reliable than a bic lighter would ever be. But, you might as well carry both. Oh...I dont think the bic will fit in the handle.

15. Danno4017

Danno4017

Jan 8, 2007
    I tried to get my Judy love doll into the handle of my Bushmaster but it was hurting her too much so I gave up.
    Seriously though, if they made the handle a bit bigger you could get a Tent and a sleeping bag in there.:D

16. erispoë

erispoë

Jun 19, 2005

that's a point, but i think the problem of bic lighters would be cold more than rain. when it's raining, it's easy to dry a bic with a cltoh and it will work perfectly. BUT in very cold conditions the lighter will be difficult to use, you will have to warm it in your hands or... elsewhere :D. That's because butane won't vaporize at low temperature.
    i will add that making a fire when it's raining, with wet wood, is already difficult with a lighter. it will be VERY difficult with a sparking tool.

but that's not the subject of the thread, sorry :)

17. jprice76

jprice76

Nov 22, 2005
    Now you have made some very valid points. I forgot about the cold effecting the lighter. Also, your right about getting the tinder going with sparking tool, much easier with a steady flame. Anyhow..something to think about, maybe the matches are the best bet?:)

18. agreatscot

agreatscot

Apr 19, 2004
    My project-1 has a Victorinox mini champ in it. I wear a Maxpedition M-5 with my PSK in it. For fire lighting I have matches, Fire-steel, in the M-5 and a Scripto lighter (as recommended by Cody Lundin in 98.6 Degrees) in my pocket. The Scripto has an adjustable flame that can be a real torch if needed.

19. u812

u812 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I am working on a kit for mine.
    I tried a search a while back but nothing popped up,must have been the server as I knew it had been talked about before.
    I just ordered 20 boxes of strike anywhere matches,looking at fishing line and hook,small sharpening stick,small piece of magnesium.