what's in your hollow handle

I keep a sparking tool, several small number 4 and 6 fishing hooks, cotton
balls with mix of vaseline, 20lb fireline fishing line wrapped around a large
paper clip, 2 large eye needles, and one scalpal blade wrapped in foil (for use as possible fishing lures.) I also wrap 50lb braided line around the handle.:D

I was going to ask this same question. For now, Id just stuff it full of brit lifeboat matches. the sharpening stone in the sheath would get replaced with an issue magbar, and i can wrap pretty much anything with fishing line. at least id have that.

fish hooks, 60lb. nylon, lg. needle, nato matches, sm. striker stick, Vaselined cotton balls, 6 iodine tablets,2-motrin 800mg. pills, button sas-compass, 2-band-aids, $20.00 bill.
For all else ....." Buddha Provide":D

What do the Vaseline cotton balls do? Absorb moisture? Additionally, where do you guys get the strike on anything matches?!

The petroleum in the Vaseline makes for good fire-starter.

it also keeps them dryer and the petroleum assists with stabilizing the fire, rub some on and squeeze it to a smaller size. do a google search for Nato survival matches or even hurricane matches.
jules

or try here! for NATO MATCHES & STRIKE ANYWHERE MATCHES THE NEXT LINK

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/sear...efault.asp+KW+Box&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=matches

http://www.emergencyresources.com/er_p11.html

mods delete, if the link is inappropriate! thanks

Afew years back i put in the iodine tabs and it started the inside of my project I to looking like it had rust in it. The sparking tool and cotton take care of using and keeping matches for me it i need a match just grab a twig
and wrap some cotton on it and i now have a match. The twig can be any lenght you need and will stay lit many times longer than a match will try and seehow lond a q-tip does. take two cotton balls and set them side by side one with no vaseline mixed in it, and one with it in there and then light them. the one with no vaseline in it will burn about 30 seconds the one with the vaseline in it should burn well past the 5 min. mark with a flame of 4 to 6 inchs. one thing i will be putting in my handle and my wifes is a tweezers from a swiss army knife that read about tonight. thanks for the responses
and hope this helps with those who are wanting to put some thing together.
I think a small plastic bag for water carry would be a good idae too but my project II is attcached to my nalgene water bootle carrier so water is covered. talk to ya later
Bryan

Coffee !
Seattle's Best Breakfast blend to be exact.
I have a mag fire starter and paracord wrapped on the sheath. I can build shelter and fire. Add a cup of hot coffee and I've moved from Surviving to Camping....:p
Allan

Can you fit a little bic lighter in the hollow handle? it would be pretty much better to start a fire than any matches or sparking tool. And you can start a lot of fires before it runs out of gas, enough for several weeks i think. these are very tough lighters, will work whenever you need it, even several years after you buy it.

it may not be as cool as NATO matches but i assume it's a better choice. what do you think?

erispoë;4327367 said:
Can you fit a little bic lighter in the hollow handle? it would be pretty much better to start a fire than any matches or sparking tool. And you can start a lot of fires before it runs out of gas, enough for several weeks i think. these are very tough lighters, will work whenever you need it, even several years after you buy it.

it may not be as cool as NATO matches but i assume it's a better choice. what do you think?

What if its raining? Your hands are wet..you try to light a fire, wet hands=wet lighter(or flint wheel), then you wont be starting any fires. I think waterproof matches or especially a sparking tool are way more reliable than a bic lighter would ever be. But, you might as well carry both. Oh...I dont think the bic will fit in the handle.

I tried to get my Judy love doll into the handle of my Bushmaster but it was hurting her too much so I gave up.
Seriously though, if they made the handle a bit bigger you could get a Tent and a sleeping bag in there.:D

What if its raining? Your hands are wet..you try to light a fire, wet hands=wet lighter(or flint wheel), then you wont be starting any fires. I think waterproof matches or especially a sparking tool are way more reliable than a bic lighter would ever be. But, you might as well carry both. Oh...I dont think the bic will fit in the handle.

that's a point, but i think the problem of bic lighters would be cold more than rain. when it's raining, it's easy to dry a bic with a cltoh and it will work perfectly. BUT in very cold conditions the lighter will be difficult to use, you will have to warm it in your hands or... elsewhere :D. That's because butane won't vaporize at low temperature.
i will add that making a fire when it's raining, with wet wood, is already difficult with a lighter. it will be VERY difficult with a sparking tool.

but that's not the subject of the thread, sorry :)

erispoë;4327812 said:
that's a point, but i think the problem of bic lighters would be cold more than rain. when it's raining, it's easy to dry a bic with a cltoh and it will work perfectly. BUT in very cold conditions the lighter will be difficult to use, you will have to warm it in your hands or... elsewhere :D. That's because butane won't vaporize at low temperature.
i will add that making a fire when it's raining, with wet wood, is already difficult with a lighter. it will be VERY difficult with a sparking tool.

but that's not the subject of the thread, sorry :)

Now you have made some very valid points. I forgot about the cold effecting the lighter. Also, your right about getting the tinder going with sparking tool, much easier with a steady flame. Anyhow..something to think about, maybe the matches are the best bet?:)

My project-1 has a Victorinox mini champ in it. I wear a Maxpedition M-5 with my PSK in it. For fire lighting I have matches, Fire-steel, in the M-5 and a Scripto lighter (as recommended by Cody Lundin in 98.6 Degrees) in my pocket. The Scripto has an adjustable flame that can be a real torch if needed.

I am working on a kit for mine.
I tried a search a while back but nothing popped up,must have been the server as I knew it had been talked about before.
I just ordered 20 boxes of strike anywhere matches,looking at fishing line and hook,small sharpening stick,small piece of magnesium.

Back