what's is the stupidest thing someone said about your knives?

I was thinking about past lookers that have come into my shop. customers,, (unenlightened customers..) :D
it's amazing that only in my shop, would I get the question? with the name gray on it only someone named gray would want to buy it :confused:
he must have thought it was a fancy monagramed key ring :)

belive it :D

where do you by your kits? or where do you get them chromed? :confused: :grumpy:

My two favorite are "Is it sharp" or "Is it loaded"... My answer is the same for both. "What good does it do me if it isnt?" Soon followed by the awkard yet funny silence.

I see now. I mistook it on the other thread. He thinks you made it for Mr. Gray. :eek: :D

RL

If I hear "That's not a knife, now this is a knife!" in relation to one of bowies one more time I'm gonna go postal!

I've gotten the impression that there is some magical perfect blade length that you have to hit or people will either think its stupid, or scary.

Had someone ask to see some of my knives. Handed them 2 knives, a hunter with a 3.5" blade, micarta scales and filework, and a 1" bladed scalpel/X acto style knife with rosewood scales and filework.
Holding the small one "What good is this? Its so small"
Picks up the hunter "This one here is a weapon, I better put it down" :rolleyes: :confused:

in relation to a damascus blade "what are all these squiggly lines, why didn't you clean them off."
del

:D ...those are some real good ones....

I was showing a damascus folder to a friend in a hardware store. A passer-by stopped to look and said "I've got some stuff at home that will polish that rust right off of the blade."

Arthur D. Washburn
www.adwcustomknives.com
In knifemaking everyone gets cut and everyone gets burned.

XRAYED, you got it. I have been searching for what I thought and couldn't really come up with it until you reminded me. My other rememberance was on my first damascus, a ThunderForged, - "did you cut that pattern on there?". But that's not really fair because it was a young lady that I would not expect to know better.

RL

I live about 5-10 miles from small town called Covington, OH.....so local people will see my stamp on a knife and ask if that is where I made it. That is one that I actually am kinda tired of.

Also asked..."where do you buy your blades?"

Another fellow asked if he could sell some of my knives at the local flea market....then about passed out when I told him the prices.

Did you make that? Did a gun/knife show a number of years ago and this one fellow asks if he could pick up the knife. First thing he did was smell it. About a half hour later he comes back with his brother. His brother picks up the same knife and he smells it. I about fell out of my chair........

I was chatting with some of my fellow officers one evening outside our HQ. I was approached by an office worker and he asked me if I am the knife maker he was hearing about. After I introduced myself and told him yes, he asked me if I was interested in making a knife to be auctioned for a benefit. The guy didn't appear to be a knife person, so I asked him for whom the benefit was for and who was going to be the auctioneer. He answered me and then mentioned that one of my knives would probably sell and add (if memory serves me correctly) about $25 to maybe $30 to their fund. I was kind of stunned by his stupid remark and was a bit taken aback. One of my fellow officers jumped to my rescue and asked the fellow if he had any idea how much my knives sell for. Of course, he admitted he had no idea. The officer then told the guy how much he should expect to pay for one of my knives and that the fellow should start thinking before he opens his mouth. I thanked the guy for his interest, and informed him there wasn't any hard feelings, and I would rather just make a cash donation.

Well John, I thought you knocked them out fast enough to make money at 30 bucks a pop :D .

Buddy Rog

Too many to list em all, but here are a few.

"What would you say if I said I'd give ya $45 for this here knife?" (a $350 knife and marked as such).

Where do you buy your blades?

Where do you buy your handles?

Why is the blade two different colors? (polished blade with hamon)

What is this thing good for?

Can you introduce me to this Wheeler fella? I'd like to ask the guy that made these some questions.

You make knives? Are you some kind of psycho? (answer this question with maniacal laughter)

Wow, you sure must make good money making knives if you do it fulltime.

One of the most stupid statements ever....

I had a Bos heat-treated blade (back when I did only stock-removal) on my table at a gun show, that had been pounded through a factory blade (edge to edge). An Indian (native american) guy I actually used to fish with when I was a kid came up and looked at it. He then looked at all of my other knives and said, "These others wouldn't do that. They're not the same steel." I replied, "Yes they are, and yes they would."

We argued back and forth for about 10 minutes until finally he picked one of the other knives up, put it his close to his ear, and flicked it with his finger. He shook his head and said, "Nope, you can't fool an old Indian, these sound different, an Indian can hear good steel. Why are you going to stand here and try to bull-$hit people with these knives? I hope you didn't think you could get your lie past a good old Indian."

To this I was speechless. The gun dealer next to me looked at him and said rather loudly, "Oh yea, he must have forgot what f'n great metallurgists Indians all are." Of course this was pretty rude, but it was funny because of the ridiculous argument leading up to it.

Nick
ps- no offense meant to any native Americans :)

When quoted a price: "I can buy a knife for $35 at Walmart! I'd never pay more than $35 for a knife."

And the proverbial Where do you get your blades? must be genetically coded.

How many of your customers slash the air with every knife they pick up, regardless its obvious purpose? :eek:

Good thread Dan!

this stuff is great
I was talking to Rick Shepard (a pounder) at his table at a sportsman show once and he told me
a customer came up and was talking about knives with him he knew all
the terminologies in knives and seemed to know a lot about them and then looked at Rick
and asked him
if he ever thought about making knives :confused:
Rick told him " I've thought about it,, maybe some day". :D

that's one reason I don't do sportsmen shows.

I had one here about 6 years ago that was sold but I hadn't sent it out yet
and a guy came into the shop and asked how much? ( I don't mark the prices on them here)
I get a kick out of these
guys, I said well take a guess. Mind you It was sold anyway ($350.00)
he looks and hawed a little mmm $35.00? I say nooo just a little more than that
but it was sold anyway and was not for sale... :)

Back